UGH! Hypothyroidism and weightloss help!

Options
Ok so I started my weight loss journey about a month ago. I have lost 15 lbs and that was within 3 weeks now all of a sudden nothing is happening! I weigh in in 2 days and I hope the scale changes, I know there are tons and tons of people out there with hypothyroidism and I was wondering if someone has had significant weight loss of 30 pounds or more and what diet or calorie restriction you were using? I am at a lost right now and I am going to keep pushing I just need to hear it from someone that has hypothyroidism and has succeeded!
Thanks to all!

Replies

• datagoodies
    datagoodies Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in your same boat. Are you taking replacement meds?
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I had Hyperthyroidism and one of the ways they treat that is to stop the production of the thyroid and then replace it with medication. So essentially you go from Hyper to Hypo until they get your medication level right. Then you're going along, life is great and all of a sudden you're thyroid levels are too low or too high!!! It's a pain. I don't know if you take medication but one thing I've found makes a big difference for me is when and how I take my med. i take it first thing in the morning with 8 oz of water and I take nothing by mouth for an hour. No food or other meds/vitamins. I also see my doctor every 3-6 months depending on how steady my levels are. It's a lifetime maintenance thing and it sucks, but oh well!!! I have lost 13 pounds in about 2 months so it can be done, however people with thyroid issues may have to look at things differently than everyone else. I would say have your levels tested if you haven't in a while. The changes your body is going through is more than just pounds going down and you getting smaller. Good luck!!!!
  • RobertsMommy
    RobertsMommy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too. My best friend just got diagnosed with hypothyroidism and pecos.
    And becuase of these things she has gained weight over the years and she is on meds for it
    and is a certian kind of diet. SHe is starting to work out slowly but she is really discouraged
    and just wants to give up because it can sometimes seem impossible. So I was wondering as well
    if anyone has any tips or anything.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I haven't quite his 30 lbs. but I am at 21 lbs. gone in the last two months. I'm really careful about watching my sodium levels and trying to stay under. Also, lots of water. I try to stay under my calories and only eat my exercise calories if I'm actually hungry. Other than these I work out at Curves and do TurboJam; usually Monday-Friday. It's frustrating at times but entirely doable.
  • bubblez_x3
    Options
    Yes I am on meds.. Levothyroxin and I go in every 6 weeks to get blood work done as well, Thanks to everyone that has responded I have actually started walking and other work outs every day 7 days a week and I currently am NOT eating my exercise calories back.. I am at 1200 calories a day is that reasonable?
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    I have it and have been on meds for it since the age of 8 (21 years). I've lost more than 30 pounds before. I think it may make it a little harder, but if you are on medication and having your thyroid levels checked often and they are normal, then you can certainly succeed at weight loss. You may just have hit a plateau.
  • jenna_watsonator
    jenna_watsonator Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness there are people here that can confirm all is not loss. I found out i had hypothyroidism....AFTER gaining weight. SHoulda went to the doc beforehand! Blah!