I think I'm doing it wrong.

Options
So I've been on MFP for more than a year, logging on again and off again and on again. I was really committed to logging for a while a few months ago but found that I hadn't lost any weight and got frustrated. Then decided to hop back on it in the new year.

I'm concerned because I keep reading different pieces of advice for different people. I just read a maintenance thread and people are eating the same calories I do. I eat 1500 calories a day based on TDEE and recommendations from a nutritionish (who was heavier than me, which was worrisome...) and that's normally fine. I try to work out 2 -3 times a week depending on how busy I am (trying to bump it up to 3 -4). Before, I used to work out every day... I cut it back.

My stats:
SW: 185ish
CW: 181ish
GW: 120 long term, 145 for now.

Height: 5'2

My biggest concern is that I'm no longer hungry for much more than 1500 calories. I'm sure I could find a way to eat more if I needed to, but I tend to feel pretty satisfied with that. I would really appreciate any advice people could offer. I'd really like to be in the 140s by August if I could. I would just really appreciate any feedback people could offer. My journal is open!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to eat more than 1500 calories? I have my doubts about people on maintenance eating 1500 calories and following the TDEE method. Are the 1500 calories based on TDEE-20% and including your exercise? I ask because I noticed in your diary you're adding in your exercise calories.

What do you think you're doing wrong? Are you not losing weight?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It looks like a lot of your entries are "generic" or "homemade". I would spend some time looking for what you are actually eating, or if it's not listed, enter your own recipes. You also seem to be logging fruit by 1/3 cup or something. I'd start weighing your food and make sure you are accurately logging everything.

This is a good read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When you were committed to logging and didn't lose weight, how long did you log regularly and honestly? Were you eating 1500 then? Was that 1500 total calories or net?

If you logged for several weeks without losing, then whatever the amount you were eating would be your TDEE (assuming you also didn't gain). So, you'll need to eat less than that to lose.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Food scale and if you're using the TDEE method, you don't eat calories back!
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing and logging accurately. Until I started weighing, I didn't know my "average" bowl of cereal was close to 3 servings! No wonder I too was frustrated at not losing! If you don't have the phone app to log immediately, you may have to resort to writing it down until you can get to a computer. Don't trust memory, I did and a lot of things were going unlogged. Haven't tried the TDEE. What does MFP set for you as calories? Maybe to lose, you need to go with a little less.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    it's always about the food. No doubt about it. Measure it and you will see. Eat at a deficit.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    btw, what is that thing poking out of the hole near your face? a tweety-bird?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    it's always about the food. No doubt about it. Measure it and you will see. Eat at a deficit.

Yes this, and log EVERYTHING. I noticed you didn't log this last weekend.
  • ngs71675
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing and logging accurately. Until I started weighing, I didn't know my "average" bowl of cereal was close to 3 servings! No wonder I too was frustrated at not losing! If you don't have the phone app to log immediately, you may have to resort to writing it down until you can get to a computer. Don't trust memory, I did and a lot of things were going unlogged. Haven't tried the TDEE. What does MFP set for you as calories? Maybe to lose, you need to go with a little less.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It looks like a lot of your entries are "generic" or "homemade". I would spend some time looking for what you are actually eating, or if it's not listed, enter your own recipes. You also seem to be logging fruit by 1/3 cup or something. I'd start weighing your food and make sure you are accurately logging everything.

This is a good read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Unfortunately I am in a cafeteria style setting, where many of the foods I eat are pre-prepared and served from serving ladles. I've started bringing my own measuring cups to measure how much I'm eating (hence I know the 1/3 cup) but I can't say for exact certainty what ingredients are used... hence the generic.
    btw, what is that thing poking out of the hole near your face? a tweety-bird?

Butterfly.

I've been doing this for a few years now since I did weight watchers about six years ago. I have the app and that is fine, as I log in a timely manner. I don't think it's healthy for me to eat any less, as my TDEE is 2000+ and my BMR is 1526.