Creatine is like steroids.

Options

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hodgetwins are funny as hell but generally not that accurate. But in this case they are right. I haven't seen the video but if they did say "Creatine is like steroids" then it's true. It's also true that weight training is like steroids and running is like steroids.

If you stop taking steroids, you might lose muscle and strength.
    If you stop taking creatine, you might lose strength.
    If you stop weight training, you might lose muscle and strength.
    If you stop running, you might lose endurance.
    If you stop cycling, you might lose endurance.
    If you stop breathing, you die.

Any logician with half a brain will tell you that
    x is true if and only if y is true
    y is true
    therefore x is true

Almost everything is like steroids!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    In for creatine rage . . .
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Definitely not a steroid. The only side effect I can think of is an increased risk of dehydration. Easy enough to fix...drink more water
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The research I've seen suggests that if you keep the dosing low then nothing bad will happen but if you really overdo it it can affect your mood and loads the kidneys. 5-10 grm per day though is low on the scale of damage but can really help get the most out of your muscle
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I think they may have been incorrect in how the worded their video but their analogy is correct for those who respond well to creatine but on a much smaller level. Steroids or more precisely testosterone will give strength as would creatine but of course the strength gains from creatine would be much less. When you go off test, you will loose some of your strength gains as you would when you stop taking creatine.
    So in a nutshell on test and creatine you gain strength off both you loose strength. When I say loose strength I don't mean below before you began using creatine or test.
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    GKn7nUU.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA , true dat.

@OP , don't listen to the doofus brothers , 90% of what comes out of their mouths is bull****
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've never taken it but my sone did and it is not a steroid but he did have problems with rapid heart rate and palpitations and the doctor told him to stop and the heart rate went back to normal. Please be careful when adding more of a so called good thing.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Hodgetwins are funny as hell but generally not that accurate. But in this case they are right. I haven't seen the video but if they did say "Creatine is like steroids" then it's true. It's also true that weight training is like steroids and running is like steroids.

y is true
    therefore x is true

You got the if, but not the only if. The if is stopping taking steroids you lose muscle. The only if would be if you lose muscle, you stopped taking steroids (which implies you were taking steroids in order to stop). But not everyone who loses muscle stopped taking steroid. You have p->q but NOT q->p. You don't have a tautology. The transitive property doesn't apply.

Claiming that anything is "like" steroids, in such a general way, doesn't make sense, at least based off the argument I've read. Chemically not similar, mechanism of effect not similar, side effects most certainly not similar. They have one thing in common (perhaps two, if you count building larger muscles and then losing said muscles as 2 separate points). I'm a mammal and walk on my hind limbs. That doesn't especially make me "like" a kangaroo, does it?
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I took creatine for 4 months and my bench press went from 265 to 315.
  • b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    If you need that extra push without steroids or anything try an ECA stack. It worked really well for me, but be careful I stopped doing it after a while because I got insane anxiety from it and it caused my heart to beat oddly. lol drugs
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Creatine is already in meat and fish so you'll never be off of it unless you stop eating them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's a very good point ninerbuff, the problem with that is, because of my Gout condition, Meat, fish (and beer) are my trigger foods, which is why I looked into Creatine. But I think that bit of info would help others, thanks.
  • florentinovillaro
    Options
    youre taking creatine? thats good mane, thats real good.

Lmao, too funny bro.
  • florentinovillaro
    Options

y is true
    therefore x is true

Best logic I've heard all day =)
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've never taken it but my sone did and it is not a steroid but he did have problems with rapid heart rate and palpitations and the doctor told him to stop and the heart rate went back to normal.

Did he confuse caffeine for creatine?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I've never taken it but my sone did and it is not a steroid but he did have problems with rapid heart rate and palpitations and the doctor told him to stop and the heart rate went back to normal.

Did he confuse caffeine for creatine?

My first thought is that he wasn't taking pure creatine but getting it in a pre-workout supplement (like C4) that has added caffeine, taurine, and B vitamins (same things energy drinks contain).
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    All this is just advice...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In for creatine rage . . .

in for creatine peen <===it rhymes.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    So why are steroids drugs but creatine isn't?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So why are steroids drugs but creatine isn't?
    [/quote
    They r different compounds.
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    Creatine is not a steroid, or even like steroids. This will explain it better than anything else:

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

have fun!