13»

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You're binging for the same reasons I used to:

1) you FEEL like you MUST eat the calories back
    2) your body is actually STARVING
    3) Boredom... the same patterns you had when overweight re-starting because you can justify the calories (consciously or unconsciously)

Eat when you WANT to... screw the rest of the calories if you don't want to have them, don't. Unless you start having dizzy spells, or feeling weak when you work out, it's not that bad of a problem. If that happens, have a protein shake after your workout, grab some nuts.. or incorporate more protein some other way.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i just asked this in my support group, news feed. I have a history of having no appetite when exercising. As in, I dont feel hunger, I pass out while running, kids in a jogging stroller, and scary scary. It is actually why I am using mfp. I need to track calories. To drop post surgery weight and some lbs I gained during medical issues after said repeated passing out, and feared heart condition.

I am tracking, eating lots of lean protein, but still coming in way under my net. I am planning to try adding a protein snack once or twice a day.

I ended up diagnosed with a form of exercise induced anorexia, but not intentional. My hormones seem to really suppress hunger when I exercise. Be diligent and aim for a healthy consumption, even if you arent full out hungry, know that your body may be producing too much of the hunger blocking hormone. Mine aparently does, but only when I run and train.

Thanks for this thread. I needed the ideas and didnt even think of avacado.

Also, nice to know .i am not totally alone.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Butter on your toast adds 100 calories. A slice of cheese adds 100 calories.

Really? The cheese I have here is 47cals a slice, the butter is about 10cals on my toast... (yes actual butter)...... I'd hate to see your portions.

A tablespoon of butter is 100 calories.... so you use a 10th of a tablespoon? I'd hate to see YOUR portions.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Really? The cheese I have here is 47cals a slice, the butter is about 10cals on my toast... (yes actual butter)...... I'd hate to see your portions.

A tablespoon of butter is 100 calories.... so you use a 10th of a tablespoon? I'd hate to see YOUR portions.

Does it not depend on the butter? I mean come on... 100 cals for a slice of cheese?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Does it not depend on the butter? I mean come on... 100 cals for a slice of cheese?

Some. Not a whole lot. Butter doesn't have a huge range of % fat. European brands are higher, American are lower.

Cheese does have a huge range of % fat. A standard slice of Muenster is 80 cals - as in bought pre-packaged, pre-cut. I know, because I use it all the time for my favorite grilled cheese :love:

I have no trouble believing there's plenty of cheeses where a standard slice is 100 cals or more.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Some. Not a whole lot. Butter doesn't have a huge range of % fat. European brands are higher, American are lower.

Cheese does have a huge range of % fat. A standard slice of Muenster is 80 cals - as in bought pre-packaged, pre-cut. I know, because I use it all the time for my favorite grilled cheese :love:

I have no trouble believing there's plenty of cheeses where a standard slice is 100 cals or more.

Well, yeah? Swiss, for example. I had to stop buying it after I noticed the calorie count and it was so delicious to me that I kept eating it too quickly
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

yeah, it's about 100 cal for 25g of cheddar and that's not actually that much
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    replace some of your 'low cal' foods back to the normal versions. It will be healthier. And more importantly... they will taste better and you will start enjoying your food more.

For example:

- Don't drink skim milk... drink 2% milk. A lot more calories, and a lot better tasting. There are also a number of studies showing how much better (for your health) 2% is than the skim version.

- Don't eat low fat yogurt. Go for regular yogurt. Again it taste better. It has a better "mouth feel". And if you won't have to add as much jam (or whatever you like adding to yogurt) - therefore lower sugar.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is the answer. :bigsmile:

Sometimes the answer is cheese. Or potato chips with french onion dip. Or pita chips with hummus or moutabel.

But usually the answer is ice cream. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    This is a great answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Werd!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry... dont eat. Simple as that. You are not going to put fuel in a car that is already full are you? So what is the difference doing that to your body?
    Read this study on changes in areas of the brain responsible for reward vs aversion and gauging hunger and satiety in recovered anorexics to realize that the mantra, "If you aren't hungry, don't eat," isn't such a wise thing. The only time that advice should be followed is if a person is truly eating enough to maintain their weight.

http://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences//retrieve/pii/S0166223613000064?cc=y#MainText
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry... dont eat. Simple as that. You are not going to put fuel in a car that is already full are you? So what is the difference doing that to your body?
    Read this study on changes in areas of the brain responsible for reward vs aversion and gauging hunger and satiety in recovered anorexics to realize that the mantra, "If you aren't hungry, don't eat," isn't such a wise thing. The only time that advice should be followed is if a person is truly eating enough to maintain their weight.

http://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences//retrieve/pii/S0166223613000064?cc=y#MainText

Great article, with a lot of nice (pardon the pun) chewy implications for non-AN eating issues. Thanks very much for posting this!
  • Vegan_85
    Vegan_85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    certain hormones control the feeling of hunger. those hormones can be messed with so that you don't experience that feeling, but that doesn't somehow eliminate your body's need for nutrients.

This. The only reason I keep a food diary, is because I have no natural appetite. Otherwise I'd end up eating just a sandwich every day or two. I lived like that on and off for years; you become physically and mentally exhausted.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your meals (so you can guarantee calories throughout the day without binging at night)
    Add to your current meals (an extra egg in the am, another slice of turkey on your sandwich, avocado is a nice condiment )
    Add a snack time and make it apart of your consistent schedule (7am breakfast 10am snack 12 lunch 3 snack 5 dinner {not necessarily those times obvi} )

You could also try drinking those calories.
    "Chunky Monkey Shake"
    1 Banana
    1 Cup Almond Milk
    1 TBS cocoa powder
    1 TBS Peanut Butter

No need to force feed yourself if you are planning your meals to meet your needs :)
  • Chuchiiee
    Options
    I thought I'd be the only one here to have this problem.

Aha. Thanks everyone. Based on the first reply and a few others, I decided to buy a large bag of almonds. And you guys are right.. a portion size of almonds is like literally 20-24 almond pieces and that's 160 calories.

And avocados. Avocados are amazing. <3

>_> I also avoid ice cream like the plague. But if I could substitute that with doritos... now we're talking. *Q* If only, if only~
  • Chuchiiee
    Options

This article is pretty interesting.