Long Distance running....

Options
So I just started dieting and working out. My question is when I run say 4 miles, can I take a 2 minute break and catch my breath every mile or is that bad? Also, every time I work out my ankles KILL and i've been running for a week or so, but it hasn't stopped. Is that just shin splints orrrr should I see a doctor. Also, how do you guys stay motivated when running long distance besides music?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Take a break if you want, I wouldn't completely stop moving, though. I take walk breaks every 5-10 minutes to try to keep from getting worn out quicker. I am by no means a seasoned or experienced runner, though. As for your ankles, I'd check your shoes. Maybe go get fitted at a running store.

As for boredom, if I'm on the treadmill, it's Netflix on my iPad. If I'm outside, it's music. I don't run really long distances et, though. I know some people like podcasts and audio books as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Walk/ run is a good method of getting into running, some do it y distance, some by time. If you're new to running it might be worth using a development programme of some kind to avoid overloading yourself.

The ankle issue might be your shoes, its worth getting properly fitted for shoes at a running store, they'll be able to look at your gait and recommend options. Shin splints are an overuse injury and common in new runners. Too fast, or too far too soon is the problem but that wouldn't be ankle pain. If it's the joint it might be worth a check with the doctor.

And as far as motivation is concerned, I listen to music, but for me the motivation is improving my performance.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think you need to slow down if you've only been doing this a week and already trying to run 4 miles you're an injury waiting to happen. Build up slowly walk and run for short distances and go slow otherwise you'll have a very short running career
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think you need to slow down if you've only been doing this a week and already trying to run 4 miles you're an injury waiting to happen. Build up slowly walk and run for short distances and go slow otherwise you'll have a very short running career

Based on the limited OP, I agree with this diagnosis.
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree what above poster said....you should limit your running. You need to gradually work your way up as to not give yourself a risk of getting injured. With your ankles, it may be a combination of running too much too quickly, and not having the proper shoes. Especially if you're planning to run long distances, you need to make sure you're wearing the correct running shoes for your feet & running form.
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    There is a whole philosophy out there that running breaks are good for you and increase your ability to run farther without injury. Check out http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

Galloway's method has allowed millions of people who are not elite athletes to finish half-marathons and marathons.

As for motivation, I found once I got through the first month I didn't need to worry about motivation - I was addicted.
  • FattyFeast
    Options
    As somebody who has a variety of chronic running injuries, if I could go back in time to speak to myself I would say - if in pain, don't run, REST.

If it's muscle ache from being tired then yes you can run through it relatively harmlessly but actually if you rest for a day (which can just be doing something different or less intense) it means you can maximise everything you do. Rather than having one great run, the next day a worse run, then a worse run, then an awful run and then you just have to stop - do a great run, stop for a day, then you'll get another great run again. Actually quality is better than quantity and as you get fitter you can run more with less rests.

If it's NOT muscle ache from being tired and you run through it.. prepare to mess yourself up. It starts as a niggle and a few years down the line you hate yourself, but the thing is at the time it's just a niggle and so you make lots of stupid decisions and continue running through it. I wish I had a time machine.

Even if it is muscle ache from being tired, when you stop using your normal muscles properly as they fatigue, other muscles kick in or you start putting weight through ligaments/joints rather than muscle and you can put unnecessary stress on yourself (leading to injury) unless you're super all-round fit.

Anyway, that aside, take a rest until the pain is gone and consider:
    1. do you have a proper pair of running shoes that are suited to your foot type? Evidence is moot but personally I think these make a great difference to comfort of running.
    2. yes possibly go and see your doctor or a physio. However I should point out that doctors don't tend to know much about sports injuries. I mean if you have a torn ligament in your knee, absolutely go see the doctor, but if you just have a non-specific hurty knee, the doctor's basically going to check to see if the ligaments are broken or if it fits with anything else and then give you a painkiller. Physios are the people who're more trained to look at things like muscle imbalance etc. so if you think something is snapped/broken/OMG swollen then doctor, if it's just mysterious pain then ask the doctor if they think you'd benefit from seeing a physio to look at what you're doing wrong.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you only started running a week ago - and you're trying 4 miles and your ankles are hurting - I'd start by reducing my mileage and build back up. Or take a look at your running shoes as others have posted.

To answer the 2nd part of your question - I can manage to stay focused and motivated for runs between 3-7 miles by listening to music. It's a good fun distance that doesn't take too much out of me. I do a lot of self talk before and during the run, but I find this distance therapeutic most days.

When I'm training for a half marathon and my runs go over 8 miles - I find those tedious. I hate half marathon training, but I love the races! Which is why I've done as many as I have.

I've recently started listening to audiobooks on my last few runs. I enjoy music more and I think it helps me keep my tempo better - plus I like to let my mind wander more, but I have to get through a few books quickly so I'm going to keep at it for a bit more :)