Is this a good way to get started?

Options
Aries_95
Aries_95 Posts: 45 Member
I want to lose weight and inches! But mainly inches :) they're my main concern! i never exercise i'm very weak and my life is sedentary :( I'm 5'2 195 lbs and i have hypothyroid :) is eating 1500 calories cleanly (sometimes 200 calories from quaker chocolate cookies or something similar, i don't know if this is considered clean though? I want to eat as cleanly as possible because my cellulite is really bad)? and working out 3-5 times a week for 30-45 minutes enough? I've heard that the average for waist inch loss is 1 inch per 5-7 lbs for someone who's short.. So how many lbs\inches off my waist would you estimate me losing by doing this? (I know everyone's different but approximately) lol :) and what can i do to avoid sagging? Other than losing weight slowly and drinking plenty of water? and how many lbs should i start lifting? i can't seem to lift more than 2 lbs! i have no idea why :( also if you have any other tips let me know! Thanks :) xx

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    sounds like a pretty great start to me. It's okay to have cookies sometimes, that's not going to destroy your goals as long as they're within you calories for the day.

sagging can be combated by lifting weights and slowly losing. If you lose the weight too quickly then your skin won't have time to bounce back

You might want to do weight lifting 3 times a week and then cardio 2 or 3 times a week and then have one or two rest days.

What do you mean by you can't lift more than 2 lbs? that's not normal and if that's true then you should probably see a doctor.

If you can't do heavy weight then start out with 3lb weights and work you way up.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Quit worrying about "eating clean" its a myth

Eat less than you are now to lose weight, but eat enough to fuel your body.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    One inch off the waist for every five pounds? Wow! I'm definitely not that person! I've lost 25 pounds so far and I've lost 2.5 inches off my waist. Now it's also come off my butt and thighs and neck and face and arms. But it's certainly not coming off my waist at that rate.

Cellulite, I don't think it responds to the cleanliness of your food. It just diminishes slightly as you lose fat.

If you have a hard time lifting the 2 pound weights, then that's the place to start. Keep going. When it isn't quite as hard anymore, switch to 3 pound weights. Keep going.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Start with the amount you can lift for the time you can do it for. Then work up to more. Keep track. Measure & take pictures once a month. You will want them later for comparison. Progress is never a straight line. It takes time. Stay on track. Celebrate each victory no matter how small it seems. Feel happy with the journey. You can do this.
  • Aries_95
    Options
    sounds like a pretty great start to me. It's okay to have cookies sometimes, that's not going to destroy your goals as long as they're within you calories for the day.

sagging can be combated by lifting weights and slowly losing. If you lose the weight too quickly then your skin won't have time to bounce back

You might want to do weight lifting 3 times a week and then cardio 2 or 3 times a week and then have one or two rest days.

What do you mean by you can't lift more than 2 lbs? that's not normal and if that's true then you should probably see a doctor.

If you can't do heavy weight then start out with 3lb weights and work you way up.

I can lift more but i get so tired :( Is 10-12 lbs a month a good amount to lose for my weight? :)
  • Aries_95
    Options
    Quit worrying about "eating clean" its a myth

Eat less than you are now to lose weight, but eat enough to fuel your body.

I never knew that :O
  • Aries_95
    Options
    One inch off the waist for every five pounds? Wow! I'm definitely not that person! I've lost 25 pounds so far and I've lost 2.5 inches off my waist. Now it's also come off my butt and thighs and neck and face and arms. But it's certainly not coming off my waist at that rate.

Cellulite, I don't think it responds to the cleanliness of your food. It just diminishes slightly as you lose fat.

If you have a hard time lifting the 2 pound weights, then that's the place to start. Keep going. When it isn't quite as hard anymore, switch to 3 pound weights. Keep going.

maybe your largest area is yor butt\thighs? mine is my stomach\thighs\arms i have NO butt and its square lol sad :( they say you lose the most wherever you have fat the most so i dont know :O if u have additional tips let me know please :)
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Is 10-12 lbs a month a good amount to lose for my weight? :)

It's too much

You should be losing about a pound a week.
  • Aries_95
    Options
    Start with the amount you can lift for the time you can do it for. Then work up to more. Keep track. Measure & take pictures once a month. You will want them later for comparison. Progress is never a straight line. It takes time. Stay on track. Celebrate each victory no matter how small it seems. Feel happy with the journey. You can do this.

thank you for your inspirational words :) xx
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I've never heard the one inch for every 5-7 pounds thing before, although it describes my weight loss and inches. It probably has a lot to do with where you gain and store weight and your starting point. It really seems like a bad way of measuring success. Definitely take measurements everywhere and don't just focus on your waist, because weight comes off differently for everyone.

Just push yourself a little bit more everyday and you'll build up your strength. Don't worry about eating clean (no effect on cellulite), unless you want to, some people like to, I'm not one of them. The focus should be on calories, and don't feel bad if you want cookies or something sometimes. It's harder to stick with something if you're depriving yourself of things you enjoy.
  • Aries_95
    Options

I've never heard the one inch for every 5-7 pounds thing before, although it describes my weight loss and inches. It probably has a lot to do with where you gain and store weight and your starting point. It really seems like a bad way of measuring success. Definitely take measurements everywhere and don't just focus on your waist, because weight comes off differently for everyone.

Just push yourself a little bit more everyday and you'll build up your strength. Don't worry about eating clean (no effect on cellulite), unless you want to, some people like to, I'm not one of them. The focus should be on calories, and don't feel bad if you want cookies or something sometimes. It's harder to stick with something if you're depriving yourself of things you enjoy.

I store weight mostly in my waist that's why i'm trying to focus on it the most! :(
    I want to eat clean since i have hypothyroid and i always feel weak and my hair falls like crazy\skin breaks out a lot! I heard that eating clean helps with that :) but are quaker chocolate oatmeal cookies considered healthy or bad?
    Also if you don't mind me asking how much weight did you lose in how loong and what was ur measurements before\after (arms\bust\waist\hips\thighs) and how much did you eat\workout? sorry if this is a lot :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options

maybe your largest area is yor butt\thighs? mine is my stomach\thighs\arms i have NO butt and its square lol sad :( they say you lose the most wherever you have fat the most so i dont know :O if u have additional tips let me know please :)

No, my largest area is definitely my belly. But everyone loses differently. I've never heard of any equation like " an inch for every five pounds"

My best tip to give you is to get rid of any ideas of how it's 'supposed' to be or anything that 'they say'. Just eat at a deficit with a fairly good balance of carb/fat/protein, get enough fiber, get plenty of fluids, and get some exercise. What happens will happen. It might be the way 'they' said it would be, but it might be just the way your own individual body will do it.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat clean, but the thing about it is that you get to eat more food and feel more full! You can feel full all day eating 1200 calories a day if you're eating cleaner, whereas you could have a single meal at a restaurant (most entrees at restaurants are 1100+ calories) and just be full for the few hours after dinner. It won't necessarily help weightloss, but it may improve energy (read: make it easier to exercise) and you won't feel hungry all the time (read: easier to not snack). And yeah, I don't know how old you are, but I would say definitely if you are under 40 I wouldn't worry about extra skin/sagging even if you lose 60-70 lbs (I also don't know what your goal weight is). I would say that's more of a concern with 100+ lbs lost and depends on a lot of factors, but as you age your collagen levels do decrease therefore your skin is less elastic.
  • Aries_95
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat clean, but the thing about it is that you get to eat more food and feel more full! You can feel full all day eating 1200 calories a day if you're eating cleaner, whereas you could have a single meal at a restaurant (most entrees at restaurants are 1100+ calories) and just be full for the few hours after dinner. It won't necessarily help weightloss, but it may improve energy (read: make it easier to exercise) and you won't feel hungry all the time (read: easier to not snack). And yeah, I don't know how old you are, but I would say definitely if you are under 40 I wouldn't worry about extra skin/sagging even if you lose 60-70 lbs (I also don't know what your goal weight is). I would say that's more of a concern with 100+ lbs lost and depends on a lot of factors, but as you age your collagen levels do decrease therefore your skin is less elastic.

I already have saggy areas from losing\gaining weight a lot so i don't know if those will tighten up that's why i'm scared of more sagging! I want to lose about 65-70 and i'm 19 :)
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about clean eating - it's silly and there are so many rules to it (and different ones depending on who's selling it to you) that you're just going to get upset and fail when you can't stick to it. It's a fad, just like all the others.

Best advice? Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Easy to stick to, healthy and doesn't require you to go buy protein powder ;)

A calorie restriction will help you lose weight. Exercise of any sort will improve your fitness, strength, flexibility and mood. Both together will make you a better version than you are now.

And so what if you have some saggy skin? I can live with a wobbly bottom if I'm able to run a 5k without stopping (I'm 4 weeks into that goal and getting closer each week.)

There is only 1 fix for cellulite, and it's called Photoshop ;)
  • SashleyA
    Options

I store weight mostly in my waist that's why i'm trying to focus on it the most! :(
    I want to eat clean since i have hypothyroid and i always feel weak and my hair falls like crazy\skin breaks out a lot! I heard that eating clean helps with that :) but are quaker chocolate oatmeal cookies considered healthy or bad?
    Also if you don't mind me asking how much weight did you lose in how loong and what was ur measurements before\after (arms\bust\waist\hips\thighs) and how much did you eat\workout? sorry if this is a lot :)

Sure thing! I'm not the best example around here of how to do things because I'm more inconsistent than I should be. There are some amazing examples of people who've lost weight on MFP and have shown much better dedication than me.

I'm 5'2" and I started back on MFP in late September. My start weight was 156.5 and I'm currently 144.5. My goal is 135 right now, but it will depend on how I feel when I get there. I've lost about a pound a week on weeks when I haven't been on maintenance mode, but not consistently- sometimes nothing, but the next week was 1.5lbs or 2lbs. That is normal, weight doesn't come off linearly.

I didn't start taking measurements until about a month in, but I only lost 2lbs that month (I was on vacation and said, eh, maintenance is fine), so this is what I have- Hips- 40.5 in, waist-30.25in, neck- 13. 25in . I'm currently hips- 38.5, waist- 28in, and neck 12.5. My bust hasn't changed at all, it's been 37.5 the whole time. I don't take arm or thigh measurements, I probably should, but didn't when I started and am just kind of working with fit of clothes for them.

Food- I started off at 1200 calories, but that really wasn't enough, so I upped it to about 1300. I also exercise so that I can eat back a bunch. I work out anywhere between 2-5 times a week depending on my schedule, BUT I walk everywhere and don't usually count that as a work out unless I'm walking for several miles. My workout focus is about 50/50 cardio and strength training, but I like doing cardio more.

No harm in trying clean eating, especially if you think it will help with the hypothyroid. The Quaker cookies probably aren't in the clean eating pile, but, nothing is bad in moderation. If you like them, have them, especially if you're at risk of binging on them. You can also probably find a clean copy cat recipe and make them from scratch if it's a big concern. I'd also ask your doctor if there are nutrients you should focus on because of the hair loss and skin break outs.
  • Aries_95
    Options

Sure thing! I'm not the best example around here of how to do things because I'm more inconsistent than I should be. There are some amazing examples of people who've lost weight on MFP and have shown much better dedication than me.

I'm 5'2" and I started back on MFP in late September. My start weight was 156.5 and I'm currently 144.5. My goal is 135 right now, but it will depend on how I feel when I get there. I've lost about a pound a week on weeks when I haven't been on maintenance mode, but not consistently- sometimes nothing, but the next week was 1.5lbs or 2lbs. That is normal, weight doesn't come off linearly.

I didn't start taking measurements until about a month in, but I only lost 2lbs that month (I was on vacation and said, eh, maintenance is fine), so this is what I have- Hips- 40.5 in, waist-30.25in, neck- 13. 25in . I'm currently hips- 38.5, waist- 28in, and neck 12.5. My bust hasn't changed at all, it's been 37.5 the whole time. I don't take arm or thigh measurements, I probably should, but didn't when I started and am just kind of working with fit of clothes for them.

Food- I started off at 1200 calories, but that really wasn't enough, so I upped it to about 1300. I also exercise so that I can eat back a bunch. I work out anywhere between 2-5 times a week depending on my schedule, BUT I walk everywhere and don't usually count that as a work out unless I'm walking for several miles. My workout focus is about 50/50 cardio and strength training, but I like doing cardio more.

No harm in trying clean eating, especially if you think it will help with the hypothyroid. The Quaker cookies probably aren't in the clean eating pile, but, nothing is bad in moderation. If you like them, have them, especially if you're at risk of binging on them. You can also probably find a clean copy cat recipe and make them from scratch if it's a big concern. I'd also ask your doctor if there are nutrients you should focus on because of the hair loss and skin break outs.

oh my god thank you so much for writing down all of that!! :D
    I don't actually LOVE them there are a lot of other snacks that I wold rather eat but theyre low in calories and theyre easy to snack on in university! do u have ideas on what can i pack to college that would be tasty and clean? 300-400 calories? :D
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    You're new on this site, right? Here's what I did, and it worked well for me. I entered all my stats and the site gave me a calorie goal, with goals for carbs, proteins, and fats. I didn't worry too much about that my first couple weeks. I just ate what I normally ate, and logged it as accurately as I could. That way, I actually could see where I was over-doing it, how I needed to make adjustments, what I needed more of, what I needed less of, etc. Then I started making very small changes. So that now, it's gotten easier and easier for me to stay within my goals almost every day. Just an idea. For me, as a person who is resistant to change, it helped me ease into it.
  • SashleyA
    Options

oh my god thank you so much for writing down all of that!! :D
    I don't actually LOVE them there are a lot of other snacks that I wold rather eat but theyre low in calories and theyre easy to snack on in university! do u have ideas on what can i pack to college that would be tasty and clean? 300-400 calories? :D

What do you like and what will keep you full? You could do some fruit and peanut butter or some cheese, that's my go to snack. I used to pack oatmeal in college when I knew I was going to be on campus for a long time, that's an option if you have access to a microwave. A wrap or sandwich would fit too, or leftovers. Whatever you like.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Eat healthy, well balanced meals and snacks. Speak to your doctor/pharmacist regarding what is good for you to eat with your health condition. Don't focus so much on calories. Yes a deficit does mean you will lose weight, but it may not be healthy. Also if you eat the same but increase your fitness activity you will lose weight.

Don't believe everything you hear or read about losing weight. Some of it is truth, some of it is half truth. And a lot of it is useless

Go slowly and listen to your body.