McMillan Nurses Charity Walk in May

Options
This charity walk is in May this year and people can do either 13 miles or the full 26 miles.
I want to do the 13 miles, but need some help and advice as to how to go about training for this. It's NOT a race, or running, it's a walk, through our lovely Pembrokeshire Countryside, in aid of Macmillan Nurses who are dedicated to Cancer patients, and as friends and family of mine have passed over due to this awful disease, I want to do something in return.

Please can anyone give me advice on how to start training for this, or point me in the direction of any good app that would help? I currently weigh over 20 stone, but the weight IS dropping, and although I am large, I can, and do a fair amount of walking.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot, about 30 miles per week & have walked 3 marathons,

this is a good article about marathon training, I guess you could halve the numbers to target a half marathon

http://www.nacoa.org/Marathon HQ/pdfs/Training to walk a marathon.pdf
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link :) It has already given me some good tips about nutrition, footwear and how to start.. looking at the chart though it started off with 10 miles.. Yes I can halve that to 5... but in my current unfit state, i'd better halve that again to 2.5! lol. I will read it more indepth when I'm home from work later tonight. As my husband is picking me up from work, I'll ask him to drop me off about half a mile from home and I can have a gentle wander back. Good way to start.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    this time last year I weighed 20kg more than I do now; I started to walk on Jan 4 and basically haven't stopped; start small, 15 or 20 minutes, then build it up, speed isn't an issue, you burn the calories over distance rather than how long it takes you to get there,

don't forget, this journey is 80% in the kitchen & 20% exercise so don't be tempted to have a cup of tea and a cookie after a walk to make up for the walk, just up your water intake through the day.

walking is a fantastic exercise, you'll soon start to feel much better & it lets you look at all the beautiful things around us.

&, there's no excuse not to walk, there's 24 hours in a day, everybody can find some time in amongst that for some exercise.

good luck.
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sunman, will let you know how I get on :)