Binge eating; HOW TO STOP

Options
Okay, everyone! I need some advice.

I'm pretty sure what I do is called binge eating but I don't eat ALL the time.. When I feel the slightest bit hungry, I follow my craving or whatever junk is in the fridge or cabinets without even thinking. I don't even realize I'm eating the food I am until it's gone. Is that normal?

Also, how to I quit? It's hard because when I'm doing it, I'm not realizing it. How do I get myself to realize it? Then I can focus on eating the right way only if I have to eat, ya know?

Feel free to add me! And thanks for the support and help!

Replies

• tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I did it the other day. I ate potato chips, some Mexican food, and 3 Little Debbie cakes before I realized what I was doing. The best thing to do is REALLY feel the guilt of eating all that. Realize that behavior does NOT get you what you want.
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am terrible with obsessing over things that I know are in the pantry like potato chips (hubby has them with his lunch) Only problem is I can't just eat one or two it has to be all of them. The other day I went through and worked out the calories of the junk in the pantry and put post it notes on them with how many calories was in them all. Totally worked for putting me off eating it (for that day at least.)
  • SarahJains
    SarahJains Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I found it quite easy to stop. I started to feel bad after binging. I'd get in from work and make myself some toast and binge on chocolates - all while cooking my tea! I started to feel disgusted with myself and so I just told myself "do I really want to feel like this after I eat?

Just think - what benefit does it have?
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Depends on you and your triggers. I eat when stressed. However, once I start eating sugary foods, that's it, game over. So for me, I've given up processed foods. I last binged about 2 months ago, but was away from home helping family deal with life threatening emergency - so extenuating circumstances and I'm not beating myself up about that. I've found just plain cutting grains/processed foods and eating more healthy fat keeps me full. Also exercise helps my mental health and helps to keep me on the straight and narrow. The combination means I just don't eat cheap chocolate - I still have a bit of 80 - 90% dark choc, but that's it. I look to paleo for ideas, but really for me it's keep it simple and focus on whole foods that I've prepared my self. I am not obsessed about it and don't think I'm allergic to wheat, but I do find I'm more likely to go way off balance if I eat it - so don't!

For others the opposite works, they need to plan in a little of what they fancy. But my feeling is anyone that binge eats, eating food like that is setting off a trigger.

There have still been days where I've over eaten - say I've had 3 pears or apples in a row, or something like that....so I'm not going to claim I'm perfect. But really 3 pears once a week or twice a month will not completely derail me. I'm more likely to go out for a run.

Feel free to friend me
    - Jen
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Don't keep junk in your house. If it's not there, then you can't eat it!

Also, weigh, measure then log every single thing you eat or drink. Once you see how the effect it has on your calorie count it may prompt you to think twice about what you're putting in your mouth.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to aim for the source, your emotions. Pick up a book and begin learning what's going on inside of you that you're using food to hide from. A book by Susan Jeffers called "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" is a great beginning point.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was a terrible binge eater. I had to learn what my triggers were and deal with them first. For me it was habit and emotions. I couldn't sit and watch tv without having food in front of me especially if I was on my own once everyone had gone to bed. So now needless to say I watch very limited tv. I'll do other things instead. I'm the type of person I can't have one chocolate as I'll end up having the whole box, so I just try my hardest not to start and keep busy instead.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me; I portion those foods into little bags as soon as it comes into the house and then I only allow myself one of the snack baggies each day. I try to only have one sort of food like that in the house at a time, right now it's gummy bears and there's 5 sacks in my fridge, each one weighs 100 grams and because there's only the gummy bears they last longer because it's just not something I crave each day. When the bears are sadly extinct, I'll get a new snack food if I want. I keep and reuse my bags too so throughout the day I see that little empty bear death sack to remind me that I've already done my part to rid the world of their sweet tastiness.
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to not buy the things that trigger me off, like chocolate, cakes and the suchlike. Like you I only binge occasionally and I don't really think it does any damage in the long run. I do understand if you don't have the foods you crave for you'll go for anything in the cupboards. On the 5:2 diet, you can overcome this as you fast (500) calories on two or three days and eat what you like on others, (within reason though). I found it helped because I got rid of the negative mind set that I have to make them redundant, which only makes you crave them more. Keep positive as on this site you have proved to yourself you are eager to lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • charliemouse70
    charliemouse70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a kind of addiction.
    I am better than I used to be but I still do it occassionally.
    What I do now is:
    Recognise trigger points - for me it's if I feel I've been a bit of a failure or if I'm feeling lonely. Acknowledge the craving for food but tell yourself you won't eat for the next 30 minutes. Find something to do in that 30 minutes (in my case, the dog often gets an extra walk or if its late in the evening I'll have a bath or a face pack or something). At the end of the 30 minutes ask yourself if you still feel the same way - if you do, tell yourself you will start eating but in 30 minutes.... Distract yourself again for 30 minutes (at that stage I normally get the Wii out and start doing some of the daft balance games).
    Quite often the distraction technique works and you put off bingeing.

On the occassion where I have binged, I actually work out the calories I've consumed then I spread them across 2-3 days of the rest of the week and reduce my calorie intake for that week only (I'm doing that this week, as it happens as I had a bit of a blow-out on Sunday evening. Didn't use the distraction technique, I just went for it and hoovered up most of the Christmas goodies that were left over). It's ok but not ideal. It does mean you don't put weight on that week though, which is a relief come weigh-day.
  • meekmeek342
    meekmeek342 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i can relate to the binge eating. I am now aware of my triggers, not to say that i don't fall off the wagon now and then. I take time to think about what is really wrong with me. Why am i obsessing through my fridge. i can usually calm down and pray. This helps me to remember my goals and the consequences of my binge. i must say that is has been successful so far. Now that i think about it, binging is a mental battle that shows up in physical form...We can fight this!!
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    If I feel myself wanting something I will just have a small amount to curb my craving but stay under my calories. This is how i am managing.

I used to let myself get starving before cooking, so I would cook really quick unhealthy junk to eat fast! Now I plan my meals and allow time so i am not getting too hungry to let my stomach rule over my mind!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    have a good breakfast. dont have junk in the house if you can (i even got rid of lots of cheese and bacon). so friut and yoghurt and nuts occassionslly will be rewards instead. i also did no added suger and salt for 4 weeks, no salad dressings---amd i got my tastebuds back and craved sugar less
  • missbirrell
    Options
    - Keep junk out of the house.
    - Look up what your cravings mean. If you crave chips, you may be craving the sodium in them, this can be found in healthier ways. Chocolate, may be the iron or the sugar or the calcium - look online and see what things you can switch with. I did this not long ago and it's amazing what things can mean, sometimes my body wants something I would never have thought of - like the potassium in something etc.
    - Allow yourself the food you like, regularly, as part of a regulated diet - you'll be less likely to binge. I am obsessed with chips/crisps and could eat huge bags in one go. Instead, I have smaller, healthier bags often - I don't binge on big packs anymore.
    - Realise when you need help - coming online and posting or talking to someone when you're struggling can really help.
    - Chin up - dieting isn't easy, especially at first. We have to learn to control our cravings and we do! It just takes time.
  • BonnieCaley
    BonnieCaley Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I binge too - last time was 12 packets of crisps :( didn't even really want them, just couldn't seem to stop myself.

It's easy to say don't have the stuff in the house, but I have 3 kids who take packed lunches to school and a hubby who's not dieting - my lack of self control shouldn't effect them.

I can go weeks without it happening and then BOOM!!! Feel awful afterwards and then start stressing about how to balance it out.
  • sophiecreton21
    sophiecreton21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issues since my teens and it's taken 10 years to really work out the triggers and what originally caused it. I'm a complete emotional eater and the evenings and weekends are the worst for me.
    Currently, when I get a craving to eat something bad I think about how I'll feel afterwards and if it's worth it, plus I also look at the 'big' pictures of me on Facebook, etc. Helps motivate me to stick with it. Also, recently, I've taken to playing solitaire on my ipad to distract me from any major cravings.
  • Leanmeup53
    Leanmeup53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sweetie you need to keep the crap food out of the house :-)
    I'm sure you already know that it creates further cravings, sends ones healthy attempts back into biscuits cycle. Some people are ok with moderation and can not binge just eat until full, but me personally when I go into a binge, I first allow myself then I make it a cheat meal and then I tend to do it once a week so I have plenty of enjoyment from food to enjoy. Don't let it make you feel upset, just have a flip through your progress pics, last time I binges I took a look at a blubberier picture of me when I had a little extra on and that seems to be enough to keep me from throwing in the towel so to speak lol!
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've just started reading a book called NLP for weight loss. Its good so far, maybe you could look at buying a book like that?
  • Leanmeup53
    Leanmeup53 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    - Keep junk out of the house.
    - Look up what your cravings mean. If you crave chips, you may be craving the sodium in them, this can be found in healthier ways. Chocolate, may be the iron or the sugar or the calcium - look online and see what things you can switch with. I did this not long ago and it's amazing what things can mean, sometimes my body wants something I would never have thought of - like the potassium in something etc.
    - Allow yourself the food you like, regularly, as part of a regulated diet - you'll be less likely to binge. I am obsessed with chips/crisps and could eat huge bags in one go. Instead, I have smaller, healthier bags often - I don't binge on big packs anymore.
    - Realise when you need help - coming online and posting or talking to someone when you're struggling can really help.
    - Chin up - dieting isn't easy, especially at first. We have to learn to control our cravings and we do! It just takes time.

Awesome advice!
  • balletpolegirl
    balletpolegirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've had binge eating disorder, but haven't binged for several years thanks to a book called 'Beyond Chocolate' by Sophie and Audrey Boss.

It did literally change my life. It you want to know anything else please don't hesitate to message me.

xx