anybody drink diet pop to save the calories?

Options

Replies

• Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you really want a soda, have one and then go back to healthy beverages.

Even sans calories, it is replacing room in your diet for items that nourish and hydrate and the ones used in sodas will alter your perception of taste in general.

Hydration? The first ingredient in diet soda is water....

Also where is this study on taste perception, I would very much enjoy reading it!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    and before everybody loses their mind, i know artificial sugar is terrible for you, there are studies that say yada yada, aspartame causes cancer, etc..

i just want to know if anybody drinks it, or switched to diet from regular soda when they began their journey, if it helped, if you use the calories for another treat.. etc. if you dont,.. then this isnt really meant for you [and good for you! honestly. such a vice]

Studies on rats. Not humans. The results on humans are inconclusive so until anyone (scientists, not aspartame nay-sayers) tells me otherwise I will happily sip my coke zero

Plus the amount given to rats would be the equivalent of someone drinking 20+ cans of diet soda a day over months or years. So I will be happy drinking my 2 to 3 cans a day.
  • Vic_of_Steel
    Vic_of_Steel Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    About 2-3 years ago I made the switch from regular soda to diet for the sole purpose of saving calories. It ended up working for awhile..than it all just came to a hault and I fell off track but aquired the taste so I kept drinking it. Now I have completely stopped been soda free for several months now and couldn't be happier. I will drink some sparkling flavored water but that's about it and that's not often. I drink TONS of water.
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I drink caffeine free diet cola. Couple of cans a day. Makes a big difference calorie wise.
    Also drink a lot of water.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    That's a rather frightening thought process.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 1L a day of diet coke! and for any that want to say oh you shouldn't its not good etc etc....well blah blah blah I haven't asked for your opinion!

yep. this. i drink probably the same, at least, lol.

and i see youve lost 17kg!
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    also helps curb sweet cravings =]
  • Cae_Troi
    Cae_Troi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did switch from regular to diet, which was easy as diet soda is always in my house. But lately I've cut it out completely. Just cutting it out helps with weight loss, I've lost a couple pounds already! Plus I feel so much healthier without putting that junk in me (:
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Is there any other rational reason to switch from regular to diet soda unless you are saving calories? lol. Well, I guess a claim could be made that diet soda is better for the teeth. Though, in general, soda is not good for your teeth.

Note: if you drink a moderate amount of diet soda, the aspartame will not hurt you (according to my crazy googling when I was pregnant).
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No, I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. Diet sodas don't work for me.

I switched over to soda water (with lime if I can get it).
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 diet Dr. Pepper a day. Its my reward for getting in my water.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've tried switching from regular pop to diet but I found that it didn't work well with my diet (low carb) because the pop would just make me crave salty things, which there aren't many of in my diet. I also used to get bad chest pains which I could never figure out the cause of. Once I quit diet pop for good, the pains never came back. Not sure if they were related but I feel better when not drinking it.

For me I drink nothing but water once a day I have a weak tee sweetened with local honey.

I have to keep myself from drinking pop entirely because if I let myself have one here and there, I will slowly become addicted again.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just quit, cold turkey.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    44946603_zps88dff81c.jpg
    I'm not a big soda drinker. My brother goes through at least six cans a day and switched to Zevia brand, lost nearly 20lbs without making any other changes.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I cut way back on pop consumption several years ago and mostly try to drink non-carbonated beverages. Let heartburn, better for bones, yadayadayada. But, when I do have a pop, it's a diet pop. If I'm going to drink precious calories, there's going to be alcohol involved.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I start my morning with a diet mtn dew. I am not a coffee drinker so that is my caffiene of choice. I usually have another one late in the afternoon for the taste and the caffiene, other than that I only drink water or reduced calorie oj. I did go all water a few years ago for about two years but I must say I like the caffiene:drinker:
  • DoriLuke
    DoriLuke Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    People think Im nuts but I drink diet pepsi because I prefer it over regular. I also always say I dont want to "drink my calories" because it feels like such a waste. So If Im not drinking a calorie free drink, I stick with seltzer or regular water. I have friends that tell me that diet soda actually keeps you from losing weight but Im not buying it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I generally have a couple diet pepsis a day, which is a bit much prolly. But they are sooooo tasty.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes. i'll even have it with some kind of sweets AT THE SAME TIME, i know, i'm a rebel. but if the cals add up that's cool.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 1 regular soda per day, but now I only drink a soda maybe once a week (Dr. Pepper) and it tastes like the nectar of the gods hahah no diet sodas for me!