These 7 weight loss claims are NEVER true.

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    That article ROCKS! Especially love the teaser website the FTC has set up where you can order that miracle weight loss product, but all you get is told why you should not be buying weight loss products that make big promises and take your money.

A must read for everyone.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love how it mentions those wraps. One person tried telling me to become a sales associate with her on FB. I said no thanks cuz I knew that they dont work in the long run
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    They say if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Of course you can't eat all the unhealthy foods you like such as pizza, burgers, fries, sugary soda, cake, donuts, and not exercise at all and have some magical potion you take that makes you lose weight. That would indeed be too good to be true.
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    I love how it mentions those wraps. One person tried telling me to become a sales associate with her on FB. I said no thanks cuz I knew that they dont work in the long run

I know someone who sells the wraps. She made huge promises and how has a host of "loyals" and distributors selling under her because it is MLM. So I've watched her for a year and she's still very, very large and hasn't lost an ounce. I kind of felt like if "It Works" it would have worked for her. I wanted to see if it worked for her, her other distributors and her mom, etc. and it obviously hasn't, so I never bought into it. It is also very expensive.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The need for such an article makes me sad. :frown:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    1. You can lose 2 or more pounds a week for a month or more without diet or exercise if you use this product. Come on. You know that in order to lose weight, you need to eat less or become more active or both. There’s no shortcut.

What if that product makes you throw up whatever you just ate? Stupid? Yes. But, technically speaking, it would work.

2. You can eat whatever you want and still lose lots of weight. A variation on this claim is: “Need to lose 20, 30, 40 pounds or more? Eat your fill of all the foods you crave and watch the weight disappear!”

Of course, you can. Just eat less of it. I guess that's where the 2nd part of the above come in, but I've seen many ads that - almost word for word - "Eat whatever you want and still lose weight." Again, of course - quantity is key.

5. You can lose more than 3 pounds a week for more than four weeks – and do it safely, with no potential ill effects to your health.

If you're morbidly obese, you can. Most people don't fall into that category, but to say that it's NEVER true is short-sighted at best.
    6. Everyone who uses this loses tons of weight.

Eh, if all the people they've tested it on (which is likely only a handful) followed proper diet (and exercise?), it could very well be true. Not literally "tons," but since they paraphrased things, sure.

The rest, sure.

edit: I'm not saying there are truly effective and/or safe weight-loss supplements. I'm just showing that the idea that these claims are NEVER true is incorrect. Especially since nearly every one I've ever seen have "With proper diet and exercise" in the small print.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    5. You can lose more than 3 pounds a week for more than four weeks – and do it safely, with no potential ill effects to your health.

If you're morbidly obese, you can. Most people don't fall into that category, but to say that it's NEVER true is short-sighted at best.

To say it's NEVER true that there are no potential ill effects is weasel word way to make the statement always true.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eh, I guess that's a good point. The question is then, "who used the weasel word?" Was it the FTC, in making the list? Or was it the product manufacturers? Or was it the author of the article that added it?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent point. People really buy into that carp. I know I did at o e time, but not for years now.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

agreed...not just false weight loss claims, skincare industry is just as bad...

and those models wearing fake eyelashes selling mascaras? oh my....
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent point. People really buy into that carp. I know I did at o e time, but not for years now.

I think it's psychology behind all these claims. I heard advertisement companies do hire psychologists...