Fitbit Question

Options
Hello All,

I just purchased a fitbit and I am trying to figure out how often to wear it. I don't want to monitor my sleep since I am a new mom and I have zero aspirations of getting a good night's sleep. With that said, do I still wear it at night? If I don't will it adjust in some way? I appreciate the help.

Replies

• nikkiraz129
    Options
    i wear mine all the time except the shower even though its water proof
  • rejectconditioning
    Options
    You don't have to.
  • nccheesehead
    nccheesehead Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If your not interested in tracking sleep then wear it all day except when sleeping.
  • heidi3132
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex and i wear it all the time also. I will take it off to shower when i remember cuz it is a good time to charge it. I love all the things that it does and all the info it gives you when it syncs with MFP
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time (except for the shower) so that I can get all my steps in. As a new mom, you get lots of steps in the middle of the night!! But, it's a personal preference...
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, but you might want to keep it on to log all those steps you take when you're up with baby.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all day every day - except the shower and even though I know its waterproof I just don't. I take it off and put it on the sink and then put it back on when I'm done doing my hair. I started out wearing mine at night - I would put it on sleep mode and then wake it up in the morning. Though interesting - it didn't really tell me anything I didn't know - that I am up and down. So when I go to bed I put it on sleep mode and lay it on my bedside dresser, then I wake it up and put it on in the morning after my shower. The only difference is you don't get the graphs of your sleep pattern, and your not getting the movements from your shower as being active.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it will only monitor sleep if you press a button first, telling it your about to go to sleep. But why not leave it on anyway? It just tells you how restful your sleep is - if you don't care, just don't look at that part of your info. Another reason to leave it on at night is precisely because you're a new mom. How many miles will you be walking when you get up in the middle of the night and pace with your baby to quiet them down?

Just wear it all the time (except when showering), and there's less of a chance of you forgetting to put it on.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Oh yes also you don't get the step movements from the times your up and down - which to me is not a big deal - I figure if anything it just gives me extra calories burned I'm not actually counting.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It does record a base amount of calorie burn depending on your settings. Mine burns 80 an hour when I don't wear it.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I don't track my sleep, but I wear it anyways.. because I normally hit the ground running in the mornings and when I take it off I end up forgetting it for a few hours.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time just in case I get up and sleep walk LOL j/k actually you have to tell it when you're sleeping so if you don't ever put it to sleep it won't track your sleep. I just wear it to avoid forgetting to put it back on. Eventually you forget it's even on until someone asks what it is.

PS I do take it off to take a shower also.

10613010.png
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time with the exception of showering. That way I don't forget to put it back on.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I dont track sleep...but I wear it all the time. I have gotten used to wearing it now so I actually feel naked without it!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I just purchased a fitbit and I am trying to figure out how often to wear it. I don't want to monitor my sleep since I am a new mom and I have zero aspirations of getting a good night's sleep. With that said, do I still wear it at night? If I don't will it adjust in some way? I appreciate the help.
    When you're not wearing it, it just counts as if you're inactive. So there's no reason to sleep in it if you don't want to.

I don't monitor my sleep but I used to clip it to my pajamas, just so I didn't lose the steps I did in those 10ish hours a day. But now I just put it on when I get dressed and have lowered my steps goal some, knowing I miss some.