Sewing!

Options
2»

Replies

• stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it all!

Crochet - Baby blanket for my daughter that is due in May. Squares are completed and I am about half way done with attaching the squares together. Using the flat-braid method which is my favorite. I then just need to weave in ends and add the border.

Knit - Put on hold for baby blanket, but once that is complete I have the yarn to make another Miette cardigan. It will go with my dress I have planned for Easter.

Sewing - There are so many projects and I need to sit down and start working on them. I have three pairs of pants cut out for my oldest, a shirt promised for my youngest (material is bought and prewashed), I have maternity dresses I need to be making for myself (material all bought, prewashed and pattern traced - just need to start). Once these are complete, I will start working on cloth diapers for the baby between making Easter shirt for my husband and outfits for my sons.

I love to sew but that is usually completed on my day off or weekends which there has not been much time for. Crochet/knitting I take with me to doctor appointments, car rides, and always work on them in the evening while watching a movie or being read to by my sons.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    19044-Tire-Swing-Gif.gif
    rs_260x146-130913123106-Miley_Chicken.gif
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I do cross-stitch (I've made wedding records for many friends and family over the years....and someone usually gets a framed piece each year for Christmas). :happy:

This year, I made latch-hook pieces for my SILs. I also learned how to finger-knit this year, and made a couple of scarves as gifts. :happy:

Last year for Christmas, I gave homemade soap and body scrubs as gifts. :happy:
  • jamiemommaof3
    jamiemommaof3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love to sew! I don't have much time for it lately though. I grew up watching my mom sew all of my pageant dresses and regular clothes. Fast forward to me having 2 daughters. I kept asking friends who sewed to make them matching dresses and I never got them so I took matters into my own hands (literally) I borrowed my moms sewing machine and all of the knowledge I had came back to me. I made my oldest a simple halter dress and the baby a romper. They turned out pretty cute so I went out and bought everything I needed to make an Italian Renaissance dress for myself. Yep, the third thing I sewed was a huge project and it turned out beautifully! I guess I inherited the sewing gene.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've only just discovered the joy of crocheting and cross-stitching :)

I'm also taking part in the "Crochet a Mood Blanket for 2014" challenge :) It's fun and keeps me busy!

The only blankets I've made so far I've ended up giving to my cats to sleep on - they seem to appreciate it at least :P

What is the "Crochet a Mood Blanket for 2014" challenge?
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My strategy is get the quilt to them after the projectile vomiting and explosive bowel movement stage is well behind the grandbabies

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

anybody have (or use) an Elna? i have one but haven't used it yet b/c it needs some new parts installed and we can't figure out how to do it. the photocopied manual is almost impossible to read. :sad:

gmother = made clothes for my mother/aunts
    mother = made some of her own clothes growing up, prom dresses, etc. cross-sticher, can basic knit.
    aunt = made a lot of her own clothes growing up, became an aircraft upholsterer.
    me = can manage to fix a seam or reattach a button. can basic knit.

retention of these skills has degraded through the generations in my family :frown:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I quilt. The quilt on my bed is entirely hand-pieced and hand quilted. It's a modern take on a fan pattern with Japanese images quilted in the negative space.

I just began work on a kaleidoscope quilt that will be entirely hand-pieced and quilted, made with Japanese blue and white cotton yukata fabrics, some of which I picked up at a quilt expo in Tokyo and are older than I am.

When I'm finished using up all the Japanese fabrics I have, I will switch to something more modern.

I'm very good with my hands.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My hobbies include crochet, knitting, weaving and spinning. I think I have at the moment about 15 ongoing knitting projects and 2 spinning projects: one on each of my spinning wheels!
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I really should work on the quilt for my nephew's birth, he's 16 months now...

But my current project is more reenactment gear, specifically, fencing armour and horse barding - full caparison!
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    As a side note, my friend is learning how to knit. Normally I am all for something like that but she is taking it a little out of the way....

She just dropped almost $40 on Red Heart Super Savers in rainbow varigated, not to mention the bamboo needles, and is talking about opening a little etsy shop.

She doesn't even know how to perl yet...
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I love to sew but that is usually completed on my day off or weekends which there has not been much time for. Crochet/knitting I take with me to doctor appointments, car rides, and always work on them in the evening while watching a movie or being read to by my sons.

Knitting in the car? Yikes! Especially when pregnant! If the driver brakes suddenly, those needles could poke you in the abdomen...
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    Knitting in the car? Yikes! Especially when pregnant! If the driver brakes suddenly, those needles could poke you in the abdomen...

:laugh: It isn't like it is knife pointed directly at the womb!

In reality, probably just as safe as a rocking chair.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I knit, crochet, and sew. At the moment I'm between sewing projects. The last one was a vest for my husband's halloween costume. I've got the season 12 Dr. Who scarf sitting on knitting needles and a 20 style flapper hat ready to start hooking.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I just started fitting into my old jeans again, and they're all bootcut. I want straight leg. So I'm in the middle of converting them into either straight or skinny leg (since some are stretch and some aren't) and I'm also taking in the waist a little bit. A lot of my sewing is spent taking in my clothes these days. But I am doing a cross stitch that I got for Christmas too. Don't know if that counts, but I think it does!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I crocheted some headbands/sweatbands today, actually. I have made crocheted gifts for my family in the past., and plenty of small projects- hats, slippers, hotpads, baby things, granny square blanket, etc.

I own a sewing machine that is often used for repairs for my DH and 3 boys, but I recently had to alter a lot of my own clothes. (to take them in, natch) but I have also made pillowcases, all my curtains, and lots of clothes, with and without patterns. I've been hoarding things for years to make a quilt, but I'm nervous because I've never quilted before.

I have several knitted scarves. Its not my favorite hobby.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Oh I love sewing!! I make quilts and costumes and adapt things! Currently I have 8 cross stitches on the go, 4 quilt tops finished and in need of finishing too!! I have made several historical costumes for myself and my daughter which are great fun to do!