Cambridge Diet????????

Hi, I am due to start the cambridge diet on monday.

I know some people are against this but what do I have to lose ??lbs and alot of them lol.

If any one can advise me on tips, suces stories or would like to be my buddy i would be very greatful xx

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Well, that and money. Good luck with the diet.

Personally, I chose something that will be sustainable for the rest of my life (and is free). I'm learning to make healthier choices by logging my foods and learning about portion sizes and what works for me. I can eat all the foods that I like if I can eat smaller portions and fit them into my calorie goal. I'm not eating super low calorie, and I don't give up after a few weeks because "I just can't take this diet food anymore".

I have no tips on the Cambridge diet though. Sorry.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I know some people are against this but what do I have to lose ??lbs and alot of them lol.

Muscle, Hair, BMR calories, proper hormonal function......

...things that are difficult to replace.
  • MoreBean13 I am not sure what you comment is suppose to mean are you telling about the negative sides of the CD?
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    If its not something that you can continue forever its not going to be useful in the long run...Just learn moderation and eat at a calorie deficit. It really is that simple.
  • I tried this about 25 years ago. It worked in the short term, but as soon as I stopped the shakes, I put all the weight back on (plus more) and looked even flabbier - lost muscle when losing weight, and gained fat when I put the weight back on.

Don't do it. Please.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    You'll lose weight quickly, some of it muscle. And when you stop the diet, you'll gain weight quickly - all of it fat. Don't do it. I did it years ago and it isn't a long term success plan.:smile:
  • auddii
    MoreBean13 I am not sure what you comment is suppose to mean are you telling about the negative sides of the CD?
    The cambridge diet is a very low calorie diet (it's a British thing, so I don't remember exactly, but it's around 500 calories a day? I think?). The side effects she listed are for eating at very low calories. It's not specific to the cambridge diet, but they may happen if you decide to do the diet for a length of time. And many people find that when they stop a low calorie diet (because it usually is just not sustainable), they gain the weight back, and often gain more than they first started.
  • oddbod68
    oddbod68 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, i'm with most on here - done it about 4 years ago lost a shed loads of weight but it was too fast and i didnt feel good in my body. more importantly i didnt really appreciate foods and portions so over the next 4 years so i gradually put most of it back on again.

added to the above, i just kills your social life - i mean its horrible

now i am using the app to moderate by calorie intake with an emphasis on keeping carbs low, this way i keep my social life and can enjoy foods but under moderation - i feel this will keep me is a better position to keep the weight down when i get to my target weight.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Make sure the ice you use in the blender is frozen or the diet won't work...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    If its not something that you can continue forever its not going to be useful in the long run...Just learn moderation and eat at a calorie deficit. It really is that simple.

get out of here with that logic you... that's rubbish!!!

LOGIC IS FORBADDEN!!! SORCERY!!!
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    I tried this about 25 years ago. It worked in the short term, but as soon as I stopped the shakes, I put all the weight back on (plus more) and looked even flabbier - lost muscle when losing weight, and gained fat when I put the weight back on.

Don't do it. Please.

This is my exact story as well. My own opinion would be that whatever "diet" you try make sure it's a livable lifestyle that you can stay on forever or you will be doomed to repeat it when you go off said "diet." Great luck to you whatever you decide! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Don't do it!! They are going to take your money and make you less healthy!!!

My boyfriend is an editor for this show called "my 600 lb life" and the doctor on there tells even the very most obese people that the minimum they should eat is 1200 calories. 400 or 500 calories in a day is too little. you will lose muscle. it will look bad.

Also, there are a TON of free "diet" plans out there that give you enough calories for the day!! Just look up "300 or 400 calorie meals" and eat 3 of those and a super healthy snack.

You will waste your money if you pay for that plan. And waste your health :(
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    So instead of eating at a deficit and being patient, you would rather pay someone to teach you to be anorexic.

Sounds legit.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    You probably should talk to your doctor if you're interested in doing a VLCD. They are suitable at times, but it's not the type of diet you should just do on your own because you have "nothing to lose but lbs." You have the potential to lose more than you think on a VLCD.

Don't take this as me supporting your idea to try a VLCD on your own, but if you're determined to try a VLCD, you probably should get a copy of The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, so that you can at least get a sense of the risks you're taking and how to mitigate them.
  • tikilu
    tikilu Posts: 29 Member
    I'm with everyone else here. I did the Cambridge diet about 25 years ago and I couldn't hack it for more than a few weeks. I put more weight back on than I lost and it completely screwed up my attitude to healthy weight loss, and quite possibly my metabolism, for decades. The only way to healthily and successfully lose weight is to change your lifestyle choices! Yes it's hard, yes it takes time, and yes there are times when you wonder if it's all worth it but if you do it right you will be far more likely to keep it off. Start off making small changes, eat a little less and move a little more every day and log everything honestly into mfp, learn about the food you are putting into your system and make better choices and before long you will see the pounds dropping off.
  • So most of the comment are negative which I think Is kind of good as it means the person onside my heading saying not to do it would be right.... So where do I go from here.........I need to lose 10 stone and if I could cut it off I would but I cant.

I current cant exercise as I am on crutches due to a leg injury (not caused by my weight)

Thank you for you comments
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    So most of the comment are negative which I think Is kind of good as it means the person onside my heading saying not to do it would be right.... So where do I go from here.........I need to lose 10 stone and if I could cut it off I would but I cant.

I current cant exercise as I am on crutches due to a leg injury (not caused by my weight)

Eat a caloric deficit - say 25% or so off your TDEE, though how steep of one is up to you - and be as accurate as possible with your caloric intake. No need to exercise if you don't want to. Do this consistently, updating your caloric intake as necessary, have some patience and you will lose the weight.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    So most of the comment are negative which I think Is kind of good as it means the person onside my heading saying not to do it would be right.... So where do I go from here.........I need to lose 10 stone and if I could cut it off I would but I cant.

Okay, eat at a sensible deficit, endeavor to hit your macros, and exercise. I don't want to hear "I can't because I'm on crutches" My cousin is paralyzed from mid chest down on his right side, and he gets to the gym twice a day. I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my spine, without it the pain is so intense that I can't walk, that should give you a window into just how effed up my back is, but I get to the gym multiple times a week. I am medically retired from the military, and I see plenty of guys at the VA who have no legs, and still manage to exercise. There are plenty of exercises you can do with a bum leg, so ditch the excuses and get to work.

Rigger
  • auddii
    How to approach this will be based on your goals. You can lose weight through diet alone, or you can do both diet and exercise. I personally recommend both because if you're going to lose weight you might as well improve overall health and fitness at the same time.

I would start with the basics. Enter your basic information into the system and look at the amount of calories it gives you per day. You have a fair amount of weight to lose, so 2lbs per week is not a bad goal to start with (this is often too aggressive for some people with less to lose). However, be sure you are honest with your activity level. The calories it tells you are how many you need to lose weight according to the algorithm this website uses. If you did not include exercise in your activity level, you log your exercise calories and eat them back. This may seem counter-intuitive, but very large calorie deficits can actually make it harder to lose weight in a sustainable manner.

As for types of foods to eat, you can approach that in lots of ways. You can change what you eat by smaller portions and the same types of food, or you can try substituting lower calorie foods for some higher ones (like a snack of carrots instead of chips). However, don't try to fix everything all at once. You won't be happy if you only eat "diet food", and then it's not going to last.

There is lots of good information here to help you get started:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    MoreBean13 I am not sure what you comment is suppose to mean are you telling about the negative sides of the CD?
    The cambridge diet is a very low calorie diet (it's a British thing, so I don't remember exactly, but it's around 500 calories a day? I think?). The side effects she listed are for eating at very low calories. It's not specific to the cambridge diet, but they may happen if you decide to do the diet for a length of time. And many people find that when they stop a low calorie diet (because it usually is just not sustainable), they gain the weight back, and often gain more than they first started.

QFT. I see the thread has already moved on, but Auddii articulated what would have been my exact response.