Hungry after eating breakfast than when I skip breakfast?

Options
Jewbe
Jewbe Posts: 25 Member
I've always ate something for breakfast because from everything I've ever read, it stated it was more important to eat than to not eat. I've skip breakfast every morning this week and waited to eat until lunch which is 12:30 PM. I've felt a little hunger midmorning (10:30 or 11:00) but not starving.

This morning I decided to eat half a muffin and man I am starving. My tummy is rumbling and everything. It seems like since I ate something at 8:00 AM my stomach is more demanding now. I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am always hungrier if I eat breakfast too. As soon as the first drop of food touches my tongue, I gotta have it all.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Breakfast as the most important meal of the day has been debunked. For some people it keeps them fuller and gives them increased energy and concentration for the day. Others experience the opposite. It has little if any effect on weight loss and you should continue with whatever makes you feel best in this regard.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have not read anything saying that breakfast is not the most important meal.

I am thinking the sugar and flour in the muffin may have spiked your hunger levels?

Perhaps try eating more protein based breakfast? I do protein shakes in the morning, and then do fruit around 10 AM and so forth

I have to eat every 2 hours or I will faint... :D So I do small healthy snacks..and a wee tiny bit of "junk" in the afternoon (like pretzels or plain popcorn)
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Read the comment at the bottom of this article for the laugh of your day.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite happen..for example: last night before dinner I was not really hungry but decided to eat anyway, thinking there was no way I could eat it all. After I ate I felt STARVING and tried to wait it out but ended up going back for seconds! I have no idea why..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The bigger the breakfast, the hungrier I am at lunch.

If I *skip* breakfast, I'll probably die before lunch. So I usually have a small to moderate kinda breakfast.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    While you're fasting for a long period like overnight and into morning, your body is in a ketogenic fat burning state (unless you're diabetic).

If you have a carby breakfast, your body will get a big blood sugar spike as it uses those carbs for fuel and stores the rest as fat.

Instead, try a breakfast with protein and fats. Or a meal where you consume those first.
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The bigger the breakfast, the hungrier I am at lunch.

If I *skip* breakfast, I'll probably die before lunch. So I usually have a small to moderate kinda breakfast.

LoL!!...ditto what he said minus the Die
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "the most important meal." Some people are happier, more alert, and more functional when they eat breakfast. Some people spend the rest of the day in a ravenous state when they eat breakfast. It doesn't matter when you eat. It only matters that you find something you can stick with long-term. If waiting until lunch helps her keep her hunger under control, then that's what she needs to do.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That happens to me. I don't eat breakfast, but when I do I stay hungry!!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Me too! I usually try to wait as long as possible until eating breakfast. (Most days it is around 10 or 11)
    Luckily I'm allowed to eat at work at my desk whenever I want.
  • Buckvarney926
    Buckvarney926 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast, like a bowl of cereal I'm starving within an hour but if I skip breakfast I don't get hungry till between 10 and 11. It seems like if I eat a little bit I just get hungrier. I hate it. lol
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Read the comment at the bottom of this article for the laugh of your day.

I had this same spell cast on me and it totally didn't work
  • RickBoquist
    RickBoquist Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. Martin knows what's up.
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've always ate something for breakfast because from everything I've ever read, it stated it was more important to eat than to not eat. I've skip breakfast every morning this week and waited to eat until lunch which is 12:30 PM. I've felt a little hunger midmorning (10:30 or 11:00) but not starving.

This morning I decided to eat half a muffin and man I am starving. My tummy is rumbling and everything. It seems like since I ate something at 8:00 AM my stomach is more demanding now. I'm not sure if I'm making sense or not. Has anyone else experienced this?

Some of us are just intermediate fasters. I've always been a "non breakfast eater" even when I was an athlete. I didn't eat until at least 10 or 10 30 am. Even if I'm up at 5 am. Although this morning I had to have a shake at 9 am as I was hungry. Sometimes on the weekend on a cheat day I'll eat a huge breakfast, but it really messes up my energy levels. I think some of us just awaken with a lot more energy, and have yet to burn it off, but read on Intermediate Fasting, and you'll understand a little more.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I eat an english muffin and 2 whole eggs every morning around 6:30 and it holds me over until about 10am, small snack and I'm good until lunch
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as "the most important meal." Some people are happier, more alert, and more functional when they eat breakfast. Some people spend the rest of the day in a ravenous state when they eat breakfast. It doesn't matter when you eat. It only matters that you find something you can stick with long-term. If waiting until lunch helps her keep her hunger under control, then that's what she needs to do.

I've actually realized I like to eat my main meal of the day at 3 pm. If I do this and not at Noon or Dinner time. I feel a lot better, and my energy levels maintain through to 8pm, but eating a breakfast at 10 am, and a shake or snack at noon. Then a snack in PM. I think it's about how you feel through the day that works for people. I wake up with energy, and food just makes me tired right away.
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Same problem with me. Thanks for posting this with feedback. It has helped.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Same here... And it took 24 years to figure it out because of all the pro-breakfast terrorism. Having five small meals on a caloric deficit was a nightmare, sometimes I found myself thinking "how long until snack time?!". Now I just wake up, have a cup of coffee and I don't even think about food until lunch.