anybody drink diet pop to save the calories?

Options

Replies

• starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I admit I have a diet soda whenever I want soda, which is rare. Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Pepsi but...otherwise, I just drink water or occasionally the Skinngirl Sparklers, which are awesome btw (5 cal per serving, each bottle containing 2 servings so 10 cal total) But if we go out somewhere and I'm craving soda, I definitely get diet. I'm not wasting my calories on liquids and I feel like I don't drink diet soda often enough to worry about the artificial sweeteners in it. Now for someone who drank an entire 2 liter of diet a day...then maybe I'd worry!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sometimes I don't have time to make coffee or pick something up, so I'll have a diet pepsi for the caffeine.

I sip water all day long, but I find if I have a diet soda it curbs any sweet cravings that crop up, especially in the afternoons.

I'm diabetic as well, so it helps me keep the blood sugars down.
  • mikepautzke
    mikepautzke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Run away,
    there are so many "bads" in sodas. including the carbonation. use it as a treat, but I'd try to skip it completely if possible.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Funny i was just reading another thread where they were arguing about whether artificial sweetners are bad or not..

i have no idea really...but if it doesnt kill you something else eventually will so...shrugs

I cannot drink plain water so i end up using the crystal light mixes...i also drink a diet pop every day..sometimes two. I use stevia in my coffee..

I started a primal diet and i know it frowns on artificail sweetners but I like my soda..
    in the 3 weeks ive been off grains and sugar (carbs coming from veggies and fruits) ive managed to break my weight plateu and i am not experiencing any crippling craving for sweets.

I dont think ill keel over from diet soda any time soon.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I started drinking diet soda when my brother was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, so I am used to it and I LOVE me some Diet Mt Dew!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I drink it when I'm on a soda kick. If I'm at work, and the cafeteria closes, I'll have a regular soda, since the free Diet Shasta tastes really disgusting.

Oh, and I'm a snob when it comes to which diet soda to mix with my Jack Daniels. Coke Zero or nothing. *shrug*
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I used to drink way too much diet soft drink, now i drink sparkling mineral water instead...flavoured with a hint of lemon, or lime or berries...
    I couldn't waste the calories on normal soft drink!

This is what I do too. Its a bit of an acquired taste but after a few glasses you will never go back. O calories, no artificial sweeteners. Look in the water section of the grocery store.
  • chase128
    chase128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink a few diet sodas a day as well as using artificial sweetener in my daily coffee. There is no way I am wasting my daily calories on regular soda when I can drink diet and have more calories for food. To be fair I also drink about a gallon of water a day as well to make sure I stay hydrated.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've never been a pop-a-day person, but for me there are a few meals that just taste better with an ice cold fountain Coke! Honestly, if I could stand the taste of any diet drink at all I'd probably drink it to save the calories, but I just hate the stuff. So, when I really want a coke I just fit it into my cals for the day. If I liked the taste of diet I probably would drink pop a bit more often. Whatevs...it's all good cuz at heart I'm really a tea lover and have a good liter or 2 of unsweetened ice tea a day. I've also found lately that G2 Gatorade (real sugar so I like the taste, but only 45 cals for 20 oz) is a good sub for me when I'm tired of tea and water but don't want to spend 150-200 cals on regular pop.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I definitely switched from Regular soda to Coke Zero for calories (and at the time Points with Weight Watchers) but they talk so bad about the Zero soda (about how it will actually make you crave more food-which I felt like it did sometimes) and I'm so obsessive about having perfect white teeth, I dumped the Coke Zero and drink water now, and if I REALLY need something other than water I drink the Pure Leaf Ice Tea. Add's back some calories but I think just like everything it's portion control.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm LCHF (low carb/high fat) so calories isn't a main concern for me, but I do drink deit soda on occasion because I need that carbonation feeling. I used to drink regular but now diet is almost too sweet
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40lbs by switching to diet.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I did switch to diet to save cals..but havent had any pop since christmas. I feel much better. I was a diet mt dew aholic!
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lucky me--I despise soda. Always have !
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I used to love Soda.... I started drinking Glaceau Fruit Water.... especially the lemon lime.... tastes just like soda for me and hits the spot :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    While my primary drinks are water and hot tea (or when I'm tri training, powerade zero), I do have sodas a couple of times a week. But outside of the honey in my tea, I don't drink my calories.

My first choice - Coke Zero
    My second choice - Diet Pepsi
    My third choice - Diet Dr Pepper
    My fourth choice - Diet Cherry Coke/Pepsi
    My last choice - Diet Coke
    I won't drink diet anything else.

Pretty much the only time I will have a regular soda is when I get a headache at work, I don't have any Excedrine Migraine with me, and the Diet Coke is out in the vending machine. Then I'll get a regular Coke, because I NEED the caffeine to help my headache go away. :smile:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm in a LTR with Diet Dr. Pepper, but not because it's zero calorie (although that may be why I haven't tried to give it up for good). I love the taste of Diet DP! I realize it can't possibly do anything good for me so I've worked myself down to 1 per day.
    I might one day try to give it up. Today is not that day.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I :heart: diet pop.

No cals, curbs my cravings, plus...

c55c9a0b3fc244b583412646e66e604412ffaef24e8e5d2e6af88979286f0899.jpg
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't drink "diet pop" :angry: to save calories. I drink cokes like they're going out of style though! You know, Coke Zero, Diet Dr Pepper, diet root beer, and other kinds of cokes with no calories.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink the occasional diet pop because I don't want the sugar. No, aspartame is not bad for you and there are zero credible studies saying otherwise. There are hundreds of studies demonstrating it's safety. In fact, aspartame is one of the most studies food additives known to man thanks to all the fear mongering surrounding it. Consider your sources when you do your research