thyroid only success stories

Options

Replies

• IndyGoWylde42
    IndyGoWylde42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good to see so many folks with Hypothyroid doing well. I had mine removed two years ago, currently taking Levothyroxin 175mcg daily.
    I'm just starting this round, and it'll be my first since the thyroidectomy, as well as my first since a recent sports injury, which limits my exercise options. Here's hoping!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid and I've lost 30lbs to date.
  • artygaleuro
    Options
    :blushing:

SO glad I found this! I just got started. I'm the Hashi samuri myself. I need to lose 40 pounds. I am gluten free (90% of the time) and on Levothyroxin .125

I am eating a lot more protein than ever. I didn't realize until I started this that I was actually starving myself. I eat very well (meaning veggies, fruits, non processed, skim milk, etc.). I have been GLuten free now for almost 2 years. Some weight came off quickly then but that was it.

I do find that my body responds very well to exercise.... Surprise! :laugh:

I'm just looking forward to getting out of this alien body!
  • danielle_jeanne
    danielle_jeanne Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this <3 I'm hypo since I had my thyroid removed when I was 6? first grade. Really young. It was removed due to a goiter on my neck- I don't *really* understand everything that was going on at that time since I was so young. I'm on Levothyroxin and have about 30 lbs to lose.
    HW: 199.8 (not on MFP)
    CW: 174.8
    GW: 140 ish
    Height: 5'4
  • aslteacher5
    aslteacher5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too have been on Levothyroxine 150. I have started back up with MFP this month and I need to be serious with it!
    HW 270
    CW 248
    GW 170
    Height 5'3"
    age 53

I could use some support with this. Please add me as your friend. Thanks.
  • jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you know you have hypothyroidism, then you should be taking medication for it, being followed by a doctor to check your levels, and if your levels are in the normal range (w/rare exceptions), then you shouldn't have symptoms because you are no longer HYPOthyroidic. So there's no reason that losing weight should be a problem if your condition is being managed properly. Unless you have some other undiagnosed medical condition.

I have hypothyroidism & before I was diagnosed I did gain weight & have trouble losing. Once I got on the meds & they got my levels in a normal range, then no more symptoms. The only issue I have w/my weight now is related to how consistent I am w/my diet & exercise.

So please...no one w/hypothyroidism should be discouraged. If you treat it properly, then it's a non-issue.

I disagree that it's a non issue. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which means my levels can swing high/low. So medicating is tricky for me. I have to get my levels checked alot more frequently and adjust accordingly.
    But yes, it is possible to lose weight with thyroid issues. It's not easy. You have to find a good Doctor who's on board with you, and making sure you are getting proper treatment. I was put on synthroid 3 yrs ago when I was first dx, and it made me worse. I am taking Armour Thyroid now and it has made all the difference. I have lost 7 lbs so far. Here's to keep going. Chin up everyone!

SW:197.6
    CW: 190.4
    GW: 165 - 170

5'10'
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 now, was diagnosed hypo at age 23.
    I'll be following... I've gained and lost in the same 20 lb range for years- though I'm feeling more energetic and fitter than ever these days. I delude myself into thinking I can maintain my weight without a daily food diary every year ( the definition of insanity...?) I switched from Levo to Armour last Winter and I am so much happier. I'd been taking Levo for ten years, and had no problems staying at a healthy TSH range, had two healthy babies, no major concerns despite being consistently 30 lbs overweight, but I wasn't feeling great on it. It has been a little easier to lose when I put effort into it now since my energy is higher and I have less joint pain. Hoping to be a success story soon!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid take levothyroxin and have lost 115 lbs in 3 yrs after joining mfp, I have been maintaining for about 6 mths. It can be done just is slow and takes consistancy
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and have been on pills for about 15 years. I've lost almost 150 pounds and keep losing about 1-3 pounds a week.
  • goodluckkitty
    goodluckkitty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos (so does my mom) and I had a thyroidectomy in 2010 between my two babies. Very lucky-- the second I found out I was pregnant my endo bumped my synthroid to the max-- and then sent me for tests. It's very hard to take TOO much thyroid hormone while pregnant. I now take Armour and Levothyroxine.

I am 35, 5'2"- my high weight, non pregnant was about 155, and my CW is 131. Goal weight is 117. I got down to 122 for my 35th birthday last year then got VERY lazy (ugh!)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have Grave's Disease, so my hypothyroidism is a consequence of having Grave's - since my thyroid is now dead and the size of a walnut.

When I was young I was always at a healthy weight for my height without even trying, then it all went to crap when I quit college and got a real job :) Since I was diagnosed with Grave's 12 years ago, it has been an up and down ride for me - never really getting past around 175, so I am determined again. My endo thinks that would be an ideal weight for me, so if I get back to it and can't get past it then I guess it would be okay with me. For now, here we go again..

HW - over 270 - I was pregnant and that was my last weigh in 3 days before I delivered. I told everyone at the hospital I didn't want to know my exact weight at the time, seeing 270 was enough for me! On a side note, I was 235 when I was released - BEST one day weight loss ever for me :laugh:

CW-206
    GW-140-160

A few things I feel like I have learned over the years (on what actually works) is, as others have said - make sure you take your meds. Another thing I have noticed is go for the Synthroid brand name versus the generics. When I was on the generic my levels were always changing and I was constantly being adjusted. If you do a little research, the one I was on had been investigated previously by the FDA for producing inconsistent lots - aka the pills didn't actually have the level of meds they claimed they did. Once I switched back to the brand I have been at one level and only changed doses when I was pregnant.

The biggest thing for me is I will not lose weight without the exercise. It just won't happen. Doesn't matter what I eat, without the effort nothing comes off. I used to go back and forth on cardio, vs. a balanced plan with weights - and I think the balance is the best. I really believe building that muscle helps us thyroid folks the best. Just my two cents :smile:

That is so true about the exercising and losing weight. Once I stop exercising creeps back on in no time. As someone wrote I doing HIIT really helps to **** the weight.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos (so does my mom) and I had a thyroidectomy in 2010 between my two babies. Very lucky-- the second I found out I was pregnant my endo bumped my synthroid to the max-- and then sent me for tests. It's very hard to take TOO much thyroid hormone while pregnant. I now take Armour and Levothyroxine.

I am 35, 5'2"- my high weight, non pregnant was about 155, and my CW is 131. Goal weight is 117. I got down to 122 for my 35th birthday last year then got VERY lazy (ugh!)

Do you mind me asking what your max synthroid was? I currently take 450mgs a day!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Do you mind me asking what your max synthroid was? I currently take 450mgs a day!

Do you mean ugs? As in micrograms? That is how it is dosed out.
  • Katz135
    Katz135 Posts: 22
    Options
    Just had my synthroid increased by 25% and have to have it rechecked in about 6 weeks for another possible increase. I knew it was low as I had zero energy and was freezing all the time. I am hoping that by getting it back to where it should be I will be able to lose a bit more quickly than before.
  • seattle_hd
    seattle_hd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm new to being diagnosed with hashimotos. Currently I'm on Armour (2 grains) and feeling so much better. I had no idea how horrible I felt overall. My skin, hair, fatigue, memory, energy… everything has improved as I know you have all probably felt that improvement after diagnosis.

I workout (crossfit) three times per week..and now adding in extra cardio (run/walk) at least one or two times more per week. It's easier now that I don't feel exhausted after workouts. Now I feel better.

I'm 5'3"
    age 40
    cw is 152. (I originally lost about 7 lbs 3 years ago, but got stuck at 160 and wouldn't budge at all, not matter what I did, now it's finally coming off. )
    gw is 135 (random number that I felt was reachable, not sure where I'll end up)
  • pinkpumpedupkickz
    pinkpumpedupkickz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Honorary samurai as well ;) (Hashimoto's)
    I've been diagnosed about 6 months; currently on .125 mg of levothyroxine; seems to be a good dose for me. I feel better on the higher end of the spectrum.

I've always been a little on the heavy side (average of 170-190) At 5'8" everyone always said I carried the weight well.. whatever that means lol.

Highest weight: 225 (right after my 3rd pregnancy)
    CW: 195
    GW: 164
    UGW: 135/140

164 will put me right in the healthy range for my height/age etc and that works for me! :)

I've also found that eating frequent, smaller meals helps me a lot, as does weight training. I just use dumbbells at home with dvd's, but I try to use the heaviest weight I can. Losing lots of inches right now with Slim in Six from beachbody and although its a little boring, I find I don't get wiped out for long periods of time because its a gradual buildup and not super high impact.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't have a thyroid. Does that count?
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have an inactive thyroid. Since April , I am down 44 pounds. I am 5 6. Taking Meds every day. Still would like to lose another 14. See profile page pictures for pictures.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5"

SW 279 Oct 2012
    CW 180 Dec 2013
    GW 150

I have hypothyroidism and am on regular medication and tests to maintain...
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    :love:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for this thread! I love reading how determined we all are.

Hypothyroid
    Height: 5'7"
    HW: 182 (at diagnosis)
    CW: 151
    LW: 138 (around April 2013)
    GW: 140

Medication: 50 mcg's Levothroxine

My tips in the short amount of time I've been hypothyroid include a lot of what everyone is saying. Eat breakfast, eat often. Eat more protein. Exercise boosts the mood and metabolism. It's impossible for me to lose weight w/o exercise, luckily for me I've always enjoyed it. Also, HIIT workouts did wonders for the last 15 pounds I wanted to lose. Recently I've started practicing yoga and I think it helps with blood circulation. Take meds DAILY and wait an hour for food, 4 hours for multi-vitamins.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!