First goal reached (25 lbs lost) moving on to mass gain

Options
Hi everyone.

Over the last six months, I did a few changes in my life. Basically, I went from 178 lbs to 153 lbs by eating better and less, and running regularly. I figured out now was the right time to establish a milestone. I told myself I would lose a many pounds as possible before the Holidays, then evaluate where I would be at afterwards. So here I am.

But before I go on, here’s some background information about myself. I’m 31, from Montreal, Canada. I have never been obese. In fact, in my youth, I was always the skinny kid. I’ve been playing soccer for 26 years now, but I played most of my life as goalkeeper. Five years ago, I started playing forward for fun, but only in indoors soccer. Outdoors soccer is much more serious.

I never had any issue with my weight, but I had an “overweight” BMI. So a few years ago, I started having bad eating and drinking habits. That’s when I gained those extra pounds. Since I was goalkeeper at soccer, I didn’t move much. I was basically a couch potato.

So at one point last summer, I realized my fitness level, my body and my weight did not reflect who I am. I’m an intense guy. I tackle life head first. I owed that to myself. I didn’t want to remain the overweight couch potato. So I started running in August. And running. And running some more, to the point I ran six days per week (either soccer or just running outside). At the same time, I was lifting. I’m lucky enough to have a gym at work. My running time kept on improving

So I’m now 25 lbs down. Since I’m 5’8, I feel like I reached an acceptable weight to move on to the next phase: mass gain. I lifted at various points when I was younger, but never seriously. My program is ready: split-body program, half at work, half at the regular gym. My new objective is to gain mass while maintaining my cardio level. I’ll be doing that until April, then focusing back on running to be ready for the outdoor soccer season.

My soccer performances have drastically improved this winter, as compared to other winters. I basically dominate opponents I had a hard time against before, and ended up third top scorer. A new season is starting in January and I’m looking forward to more *kitten* kicking.

Regarding outdoors soccer, I will be aiming to get a striker starting position on my regular team. That is my mid-term objective. I already told my team manager I will not be coming back as a goalkeeper next summer, to which he responded I would get that starting position if I deserve it. I’m ready, pumped. I won’t deceive him. I will show up at training camp fitter than his eyes will be able to understand. It’s really a long shot for me because I don’t have as many experience playing forward as the others, who played 25 years, but I’m fairly convinced I’m ready to take that step.

But for now the moment, here is my before pic. This picture was taken in July 2013. I was worse than that a few years ago, but this was my starting point to fitness.

Avantapregraves_zpsd92ef8ea.png

This is me, right now.

1465291_10152137631273336_539688022_n_zpsac111e3c.jpg
sans-titre_zps8e1288e9.png

I’m glad I didn’t go too far into being overweight. I don’t feel like those six months were that hard. I’m ready to push it a notch further.

Here’s my fitness program, to be followed until April:

- Sunday: Arctic running (8-10 km)
- Monday: Half-body Lifting (60 mins – legs, shoulders, biceps, abs)
- Tuesday: Half-body Lifting (60 mins – chest, back, triceps, obliques) + Soccer (60 mins) or Arctic Running (5 km)
- Wednesday: Soccer (60 mins)
- Thursday: Half-body Lifting (60 mins – legs, shoulders, biceps, abs) + Soccer (60 mins) or Arctic Running (8-10 km)
- Friday: Rest
- Saturday: Half-body Lifting (60 mins – chest, back, triceps, obliques)

My ultimate goal? That:

david_beckham_body_workout_1.jpg

I’m ready.

Anyone who wants to add me, do not hesitate, whether you are a runner, a soccer player, a mass gainer, a weight loser or a maintainer. Men or women. Older or younger. Of course, open diaries are even more fun ;) I regularly comment on my friends’ status. I like to motivate people and I take motivation from all the awesome people I met on here. You guys are the best. Looking forward to seeing the sequel of your progression. Don’t be an excuse maker. Make things happen.

- Ben

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Awesome job Ben, keep smashing your goals!
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Over the last six months, I did a few changes in my life. Basically, I went from 178 lbs to 153 lbs by eating better and less, and running regularly. I figured out now was the right time to establish a milestone. I told myself I would lose a many pounds as possible before the Holidays, then evaluate where I would be at afterwards. So here I am.

But before I go on, here’s some background information about myself. I’m 31, from Montreal, Canada. I have never been obese. In fact, in my youth, I was always the skinny kid. I’ve been playing soccer for 26 years now, but I played most of my life as goalkeeper. Five years ago, I started playing forward for fun, but only in indoors soccer. Outdoors soccer is much more serious.

I never had any issue with my weight, but I had an “overweight” BMI. So a few years ago, I started having bad eating and drinking habits. That’s when I gained those extra pounds. Since I was goalkeeper at soccer, I didn’t move much. I was basically a couch potato.

So at one point last summer, I realized my fitness level, my body and my weight did not reflect who I am. I’m an intense guy. I tackle life head first. I owed that to myself. I didn’t want to remain the overweight couch potato. So I started running in August. And running. And running some more, to the point I ran six days per week (either soccer or just running outside). At the same time, I was lifting. I’m lucky enough to have a gym at work. My running time kept on improving

So I’m now 25 lbs down. Since I’m 5’8, I feel like I reached an acceptable weight to move on to the next phase: mass gain. I lifted at various points when I was younger, but never seriously. My program is ready: split-body program, half at work, half at the regular gym. My new objective is to gain mass while maintaining my cardio level. I’ll be doing that until April, then focusing back on running to be ready for the outdoor soccer season.

My soccer performances have drastically improved this winter, as compared to other winters. I basically dominate opponents I had a hard time against before, and ended up third top scorer. A new season is starting in January and I’m looking forward to more *kitten* kicking.

Regarding outdoors soccer, I will be aiming to get a striker starting position on my regular team. That is my mid-term objective. I already told my team manager I will not be coming back as a goalkeeper next summer, to which he responded I would get that starting position if I deserve it. I’m ready, pumped. I won’t deceive him. I will show up at training camp fitter than his eyes will be able to understand. It’s really a long shot for me because I don’t have as many experience playing forward as the others, who played 25 years, but I’m fairly convinced I’m ready to take that step.

But for now the moment, here is my before pic. This picture was taken in July 2013. I was worse than that a few years ago, but this was my starting point to fitness.

This is me, right now.

I’m glad I didn’t go too far into being overweight. I don’t feel like those six months were that hard. I’m ready to push it a notch further.

- Tuesday: Half-body Lifting (60 mins – chest, back, triceps, obliques) + Soccer (60 mins) or Arctic Running (5 km)
    - Thursday: Half-body Lifting (60 mins – legs, shoulders, biceps, abs) + Soccer (60 mins) or Arctic Running (8-10 km)

My ultimate goal? That:

I’m ready.

Anyone who wants to add me, do not hesitate, whether you are a runner, a soccer player, a mass gainer, a weight loser or a maintainer. Men or women. Older or younger. Of course, open diaries are even more fun ;) I regularly comment on my friends’ status. I like to motivate people and I take motivation from all the awesome people I met on here. You guys are the best. Looking forward to seeing the sequel of your progression. Don’t be an excuse maker. Make things happen.

- Ben

THIS IS MY GOAL!! It took me a long time to find a body shape like mine, and how I want to measure up. I'm all about motivation, and going for it. I used to be an athlete and at my fittest when I was I was 150 lbs, and didn't even have close to the muscle mass as this, but fitness is my goal, not actual weight on the scale. As long as my body is strong and I can see the results, all good. :)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/annette6661/4734b644-ef6c-41d0-8be2-664595e7ef37.jpg
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

This is me, right now.

My ultimate goal? That:

I’m ready.

- Ben

THIS IS MY GOAL!! It took me a long time to find a body shape like mine, and how I want to measure up. I'm all about motivation, and going for it. I used to be an athlete and at my fittest when I was I was 150 lbs, and didn't even have close to the muscle mass as this, but fitness is my goal, not actual weight on the scale. As long as my body is strong and I can see the results, all good. :)

4734b644-ef6c-41d0-8be2-664595e7ef37.jpg
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Looking forward to your results. I'm same height, and want to get to your weight. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!