How do you motivate yourself to workout?

Options

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    1 - you need to find your "soul mate workout". For some, that may be running. For others, it may be kickboxing...or Zumba...or spinning...or lifting...or yoga...or whatever. It may involve going to a gym, or it may be doing DVDs at home. It could be running outside vs running on a dreadmill. Try some different things, and find out what you LOVE. :happy:

2 - if you don't "feel" like working out, do it any way. Tell yourself that if you still don't feel like working out after ten minutes, then you have permission to stop. The upside to that? First, 99% of the time, you will want to keep going and will finish your workout. Second, the 1% of the time when you DO stop, you've still at least worked out for 10 minutes - which is far better than doing nothing. :bigsmile:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong to be motivated by the desire to prove wrong those who find you physically unattractive as much as being motivated for positive reasons?

I find the stubbornness so exhausting!
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    1 - you need to find your "soul mate workout". For some, that may be running. For others, it may be kickboxing...or Zumba...or spinning...or lifting...or yoga...or whatever. It may involve going to a gym, or it may be doing DVDs at home. It could be running outside vs running on a dreadmill. Try some different things, and find out what you LOVE. :happy:

2 - if you don't "feel" like working out, do it any way. Tell yourself that if you still don't feel like working out after ten minutes, then you have permission to stop. The upside to that? First, 99% of the time, you will want to keep going and will finish your workout. Second, the 1% of the time when you DO stop, you've still at least worked out for 10 minutes - which is far better than doing nothing. :bigsmile:

I really like what was mentioned here. I think finding a workout that you enjoy really helps. Also if you are trying something new, give it a while before you decide if its for you or not. I started doing power yoga and the first experience I didn't love but now it is one of my favorite activities along with running outside. Now I still have days where I really dont want to go, but I am always happy afterwards when I push myself to do the workout anyways. Good luck and even if you dont ever end up loving it, I do believe it will get easier and just become habit.
  • NoEyePi
    Options
    Great article on techniques used by people successful in all kinds of ways.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonselk/2013/04/15/habit-formation-the-21-day-myth/
  • bringingsexyback2007
    Options
    Is it wrong to be motivated by the desire to prove wrong those who find you physically unattractive as much as being motivated for positive reasons?

Lol, that is one of my biggest motivators! I should think of this more often!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Hell no. I find it very satisfying to see former Romantic rivals on facebook who have gotten fat and/or ugly as they've aged. Add to that the fact that I look better at 43 than I did at 33 or even 23 and I'm just laughing laughing laughing.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Everyone feels like a sexy beast when they leave the gym. it's worth it.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    GO...no motivation...just go. Motivation is for during the really difficult...workouts are required so I go.

THIS
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I try to think about how good it will make me feel. Not quite so much physically as mentally.

Last night my husband and I wanted Thai for dinner. We both had enough MFP calories "left" at dinnertime to have that for dinner (without exercising), but I knew I'd feel better about a bit of a "splurge" meal like that if we walked there. It was just slightly over a mile, but walking out in the 20 degree temps at brisk pace made it feel like work getting there haha, in a good way. I enjoyed my dinner even more than I would have if we'd driven.

When planning my schedule for the work week and weekends, I have gotten into the habit of including some activities that are physical in nature. I am not a workout-in-the-gym person, but I do get my activity level up by doing this and it feels like a natural part of my schedule. I'd like to think someday I will become even more exercise oriented but I am not sure if that's to be. We shall see.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Hell no. I find it very satisfying to see former Romantic rivals on facebook who have gotten fat and/or ugly as they've aged. Add to that the fact that I look better at 43 than I did at 33 or even 23 and I'm just laughing laughing laughing.

Same here. My first serious relationship was with a guy who has really, really, really let himself go - and I'm over here like "yep haven't really changed much since college and I weigh 40 lb less than when I met that guy"
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't like it either but, i do it 6 days weekly. I get up early and get it over with ASAP. f I prolong the agony I make every excuse in the book. When it is over (not soon enough) I am soooooooo glad I did it. It is was it is!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think of how I have been looking and feeling without working out. I think of the 2 sons I still have at home and the example I want to set for them considering one wants to be a firefighter like I used to be and the other wants to be a cop like I used to be.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I too find the hardest part to be just getting up and starting. Once I start, I feel great.

The way I keep myself motivated is by keeping a streak. Until this past Sunday I was on a 39 day streak. I had to sit out two days due to an injury. Now my goal is to beat that streak. My streak is to run at least 1 mile. Almost all the time, I end up doing the full 5K (that's my full run at this time).

I also joined a running challenge to help me along.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1157246-january-running-challenge?page=3
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I get naked and look in the mirror, that is all I need
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    This is what I've been trying lately...

Stop calling it motivation and start calling it determination.

You are DETERMINED to get off your butt and move around a little

You are DETERMINED to fit into that cute little tank top you have in the back of your closet

You are DETERMINED to rock your wedding dress

You are DETERMINED to see this goal through

When you change how you think, your actions will change too
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I just make sure to do fun workouts. I've always enjoyed lifting and I also do some boxing work with a trainer for HIIT. If I was just grinding cardio machines all day every day, I doubt I'd have much motivation to workout.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Normally motivation is a non-issue, but there are times when it's a bit tougher than normal. In these times I fall back on my tried and true visualization.

There was this guy who lived about 1.5 miles from my house. Disabled to a significant degree with braces on both legs. It was tough for him to walk or ride a bike.

But he did. You could see him out there, day in, day out, rain or shine, working his legs through walking or riding his bike. At least a mile a day. That guy never, EVER missed a day that I know of.

After witnessing that sort of dedication and commitment, who could possibly find an excuse not to train?
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I tired many different exercises til I found one I really enjoy & for me that's jogging. Now I have zero problem with motivation. I look forward to my daily jogs :)
  • jaecobb86
    jaecobb86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I go through moments where I have to motivate myself to get in that gym! And there are other moments when I get excited and can't wait to go. Normally when I have to give myself the extra pep talk, I try a different gym or different activity because I am probably tired of seeing the same people and doing the same things. Another thing I do to make sure I work out is put restrictions on what I can do unless I work out. Example: you can't go to the grocery store until you work out or you can't go out with your friends until you have gone to the gym. That way, I am holding myself accountable for stuff.

I hope this helps. Don't let others discourage you or make you feel that its terrible to go through lulls from time to time. We are human!!!
  • Scremoshells
    Options
    at first I treated it like a class or an appointment I had to go to. Every tuesday and thursday no excuses. doing something only 20 times can create a habit. Once you start feeling the results you will want to go more! good luck.