Fitness Trackers

Options
I would like to get a fitness tracker and am interested in the thoughts and opinions of those who use them. I am looking at the Fitbit force, which in all reviews comes in second only to the expensive Basis B1. I was also looking at the Bodymedia, which is used by Biggest Loser, but the $6.95 monthly fee kinda bothers me. Does anyone use Bodymedia? Is it worth the monthly fee? Thank in advance for any advice given.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have used the Bodybugg first generation and then I updated to the Bodymedia. I found it to be a great tool. Helped me drop 30 lbs. I found that between logging faithfully and working out the the numbers were spot on as far as my losses per week. I have not been on their website in a couple years but at the time I thought it was easy to use, etc., and that was before any phone sync capabilities. I didn't find the monthly too bad considering I was getting results. The only thing I didn't like about the Bodybugg/Bodymedia was visibility. I currently have a Polar Loop and I wish the website came close to Bodymedia's.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Fit. I got a good deal and ended up with a free one-year subscription to their site. I figure that will give me enough time to feel comfortable with my burns and food intake so I can drop the subscription after the one year. Though, if you sync it to you phone (free), I think you can get all of your information free that way. I also got the little display that I clip onto my pants and it tells me calories burned, steps taken, vigorous activity met and moderate activity met, so it basically gives me all I need to know combined with my MFP account.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Flex. It's not a HRM like the others, but it does make me focus a bit more on how much (or little) I move. I've been using it for 2 days and already my 2nd day's movement is almost double my first day.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I really like my fitbit. That fee adds up to a lot on the body media device - $6.95/month is over $83/year.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Fitbit.... But get the ONE.... Not any of the bracelet types. Fitbit website is free. Customer service is outstanding...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I use an App called 'Jefit' or website: www.jefit.com

I use it to track all my workouts and is really simple to use... and it's free.
  • adamkolling
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Force and I love it. It's simple, easy to understand, and it doesn't attract attention. The syncing with MyFitnessPal is awesome. Some people have begun reporting skin irritation when wearing it, but I haven't experienced anything like that. It's been a great tool for setting goals and encouraging me to get moving.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My bodymedia is supposed to arrive today. What finally convinced me to get it was the whole free subscription for a year thing they were offering with the new year.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have the Withings Pulse, which is like the fitbit. They recently changed their calorie counting algorithm and I don't really like the way its doing it now. I would not recommend it for that reason, but I love the ability to take/track resting heart rate, and the sleep tracking works really well. It also seems to be pretty accurate to step counts, so that's definitely a plus.
  • jgrandy2012
    jgrandy2012 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Is there any annual fee or subscription fee associated with the Fit bit Force
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fitbit.... But get the ONE.... Not any of the bracelet types. Fitbit website is free. Customer service is outstanding...

I agree. Fitbit ONE can be worn attached to your bra (invisible to the outside world), on a waistband or in a pocket. Measures steps, miles, flights of stairs climbed, worn 24 hours a day: at night it trackers movement while asleep and how many times you woke up, worn on the wrist. Very accurate and incentive to get to whatever goal you set for yourself. I have had mine now since May 2012, love it and would be lost without it.
  • Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options

No fee. There is a Premium program which can be bought into but not necessary. I don't have it myself and feel it isn't necessary.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I’ve been through a couple of these things …

BodyMedia is probably the most accurate but I didn't like that it wasn't easily concealable ... especially in the summer; a day at the amusement park in July gave me a nasty tan ring where I wore the band. Visually you can see that it’s a monitoring / medical device and for people who don’t know what it is they generally assume you have some kind of condition. I had mine a few years back (before that had wireless syncing) and got all kinds of strange questions and assumptions – someone came up and asked if it was a fertility patch. People are more familiar with these trackers now so I guess you won’t encounter that. I got mine free from work with 6 months subscription included; I didn’t like the idea of a subscription either.

I got a Nike Fuel Band as a gift and found their fuel algorithm to be quite confusing, I hated that they don’t support Android devices, their “community” is a joke and I felt like I was being plugged Nike and Apple products every time I logged in. They also don’t sync to MFP or have any nutrition component – it’s only geared toward physical activity so it doesn’t show the whole picture. To their credit, they held a decent charge and you were able to find out your step count and activity based calorie burn right from the device.

I currently have a FitBit, which I think is awesome. I have the Zip, which I hook onto my bra. I didn’t need the sleep tracker and I love that I don’t need to charge it.

I have no experience with the Jawbone Up.
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I had the Fitbit Flex (loved it) and then upgraded to the Fitbit Force (love it more)...and NO, no fees associated with any of the Fitbits. Well worth the money I've spent. I love the bracelet...no irritations...and I don't have to worry about losing it like the ONE.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I have te Fitbit Flex and loved it while I was using it! I am trying to get back in the habit now, but I do highly recommend the Fitbit series!
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP24 and I think it's great. It integrates well with the MFP app. I'm a data junkie and the UP app meets that fix. It's only been 2 weeks since I bought it but it has motivated me to log my intake with MFP and workouts. I haven't tried the others, but there is a recent news article on people getting rashes using the Fitbit Force.