Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's a b!tch!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen and in my 20s losing weight was so easy. Now, in my 30s it takes more effort and dedication and it comes off at a far slower pace. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Best,
    BD

Just do it now...you think it's tough now, wait until you're pushing 40. I work my *kitten* off...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and already pre-menopausal. It's definitely way harder now than when i was in my 20's. But I think I have more determination now, and less of a social life :ohwell:
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    im 37 almost 38 and it seems to be working well for me. this is the first time in my life i have tried to lose weight tho. so i have nothing to compare it to.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    You're all inspiring me with your successes! I'm definitely determined and I won't let a little thing like age get in my way!
  • dettles
    dettles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree! I'm beginning to think I ruinned by body somehow because now it's painstakingly slow to lose anything! Except my sunglasses! I still lose those all the time ;p lol
  • therealblackdahlia
    Options
    Does anyone else have a desk job? I'm thinking that may be part of the problem...sitting down all day and not moving about!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hard yes, but this time I am sticking with it. It has taken me a long time to drop the weight I have. When I was younger, it was easier, but I never keep up with it. I think the better part of losing it when older is you are more likely to stick with it because of the work it takes. I wish you all the luck. You can do this. ^_^
  • therealblackdahlia
    Options
    Too funny, I'm losing things also....perhaps even my mind, but not the weight!

Until now that is, since I signed up here it's my commitment to myself.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I turned 48 in November and I'm shooting for the Best Shape of my Life.
    Easy? No

But I was Never consistent before with workouts and better eating.

You can do it!

Lifestyle Change! Its worth it.

Women start to lose 1% muscle every year after 30. wow.... so at 60 that is 30% less muscle.... we can work those muscles and change that number!

Nancy
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Just wait till you are in your 40's. I am 42 and probably the best shape I been in a long time. Just means doing nothing will get me out of shape and I could get away with not doing anything in my 20's and early 30's. But once I start working out and running and start eating right, the pounds just flow off. But I have to be consistent.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm 35. I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease when I was 30. I've always been able to keep myself around 165 to 175 until I hit about 27, then I don't know what happened, I ballooned, lost 50 lbs quite easily, then my husband of 1 year was diagnosed with cancer, spent a year in limbo, thought I was losing it mentally at 30 years old but was diagnosed with Graves' Disease (was severe hyperthyroid but mine made me gain and not lose, yes this can happened), had the RAI treatment and now am hypothyroid, have tests every 3 months like clockwork, haven't missed a pill in all the years and have a bugger of a time losing weight, even excerise doesn't help overly. So I understand weight issues quite well. I've never had a high fat, high calorie lifestyle so it never made sense to me why I was/am overweight. My 30's have been the worst weight-wise for me. Really, my thyroid numbers are spot on so ideally my metabolism should allow me to lose weight but it doesn't . .. . go figure, my doctors can't even figure it out.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I swear the day I turned 30 I had a harder time controlling my weight. I am pushing 33 and still working on it!
  • karokaroline
    Options
    it is harder, I am 34 and I have to be very patient since it takes a lot longer to see results, but consistency pays off, and trying to loose lbs the healhy way , I love this program because you can track the calories and is FREE!, I just got it today, and I have incorporated exercise too since the beginning of the year. I have told myself that I don't expect to see much change for at least 3 months, so is like a lifestyle change not a quick fix. Good Luck
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism runs in my family also. I've incorporated kelp into my diet to help with that.

I was taking kelp but havent for a while now
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and in better shape now than my late 20's and 30s, and having an easier time losing it now than I did in the past. Mostly cause I stopped trying to follow all the weight loss tips I had grown up hearing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a desk job? I'm thinking that may be part of the problem...sitting down all day and not moving about!

Yes, I have a desk job...I have to make it a point to get up and move around and I go for at least a 30 minute walk on days where I don't have any other workout scheduled.

Keep in mind that as you age, the healthy range for your body fat increases...this is not to say that you can't get super lean or whatever...but there is a reason that the healthy range for body fat increases as you get older...it gets really, really hard to be lean when you're older.

I work my *kitten* off now to maintain around 19/20% BF. When I was a teenager I could maintain 8-10% BF without batting an eye. In my 20s, maintaining 10 - 15% BF was really easy to do and I got shredded just looking at a barbell. Now I'm at the high end of a healthy % for my age and stats and it's really difficult for me to lean out much more than this and extremely taxing to maintain anything lower than about 17%.

Moral of that story...a lot of people want to get to where they were in high school/college, etc without considering that the body has matured and those goals are often unrealistic.

I suppose it is all relative though...for someone who's never been at a healthy weight or lean or whatever, it's probably actually easier or appears easier than for someone who's been ultra lean most of their lives and is like, WTF is going on here...
  • Mistysbff
    Options
    Oh yes! When I hit thirty I felt like I was doing the same thing with no results ,after years of success!
  • clytieleigh
    Options
    I have always had to work hard at weight loss ever since I was eleven.. I had a gymnist body till I hit puberty and ever since than I always stuck around 180. Now at age thirty and two kids later I am sitting at 204lb, and not pleased at all.. I want to be able to keep up with my boys and improve my health to avoid my famlies medical history.. This is the first time I have attempted losing wieght since 30 so I will have to see how I drop it..
  • xbellezx
    xbellezx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will be 28 this year and have spent all my 20's overweight. I am doing this now because I don't want to carry this weight struggle into my 30's. This thread has made me even more determined to do it now so thanks for sharing your stories.