I'm addicted to the gym.. HELP!

Options
I love going to the gym. When I get in the zone, I can be there for three hours or more each time. I try not to stay and workout that long, but I just get so focused. I go everyday, but I've heard rumors about it being bad to go every day. Should I take rest days? Or is it okay to go seven days a week?

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Your body definitely needs at least one rest day to let your muscle repair themselves.
    If you keep doing 3 hrs a day 7 days a week you're going to end up injuring yourself.
  • brianmcg321
    Options
    You can go every day just as long as you are spitting up your workouts. For example one day cardio, next day upper body, day three cardio, day four lower body etc.

If your doing the same workout day after day then it will start to wear on you.

Are you actually working out for three hours? Running on the treadmill or lifting for three hours? Or is a lot of it social time?
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    I hate gyms and would never go there - however; I'm working out daily without any excuses and I'm still alive...;)
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have fallen into this same addiction before.... it's crazy!! I love to go to the gym!! I haven't been there for over 2 hours in a long time. And just like one of the other guys said... you can go everyday; just split up your time and what you work on.

I have gone before and just walked on the treadmill ... and counted that as my rest day. It's really up to your body tho!

I have have had injuries before. And I had to take time off. And that does suck; but if you listen to your body...you should be fine... just take a day off here and there.

When I read your post...I felt like it was something I would've wrote...lol! My friends just don't get it...but I truly love my gym time. My diary is open if you'd like to see what I do... I'm not perfect; but I try my hardest! :flowerforyou:
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    i wish i was addicted to the gym lol
  • PricillaChristine
    Options
    You can go every day just as long as you are spitting up your workouts. For example one day cardio, next day upper body, day three cardio, day four lower body etc.

If your doing the same workout day after day then it will start to wear on you.

Are you actually working out for three hours? Running on the treadmill or lifting for three hours? Or is a lot of it social time?

I always go to the gym alone because I found that if I go with someone, I don't push myself as hard. I usually spend an hour and a half on the cardio machines. I use a different one each day.
    After cardio, I do resistance training, usually for forty five minutes or so, and I'll end with lap swim. I didn't consider switching it up. I think I'll try that.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    i wish i was addicted to the gym lol

me too.

heck I wish I actually liked exercising! Lol... id be happy to feel that.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I go every morning (mix the workout routines of course) but I tend to be finished within an hour and get on with the rest of the day.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I was 17 I had anorexia athletica and did six hours of exercise every day for two years. 1000 sit ups, 1000 press ups etc it took a toll on my growing body especially my joints which have worn a little quicker than most. Same routine every day after school (and no life) I got great results but at a cost to my future health.

I now do no more than 2 hours a day, usually just 1 hour and I switch it up from badminton to heavy weights, to pace equipment, to walking, to yoga to T25 and 30 day shred so my whole body gets worked out in a week but I'm not stressing out my body by constantly repeating the same movements. A lot of personal trainers train between clients and end up doing about three hours a day or more, they seem fine.