How long does it typically take to start losing?

Options
I was in very good shape in my teens and early twenties, but after having two kids I've got up to over 200 lbs. I've been working out some since having my daughter and went from 248 to 205-210. I've ramped up my exercise routine the past 3 weeks and cut back on calories because I really want to improve my health (severely obese, high Bp, high cholesterol, etc). I'm eating between 1600-2000 calories a day typically but I'm also doing 1-2 hours of high intensity cardio (running, elliptical at a high incline/resistance) and some light strength training but I still seem to stay in that five pound weight range. I can tell I'm in better shape physically-I can run 5 miles in an hour which I would never have been able to do 6 weeks ago. I'm curious how long others typically took to start seeing the numbers change on the scale or if I'm not doing enough/doing too much.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You likely should have seen some loss in 3 weeks, if you are eating at a deficit. Unless it's TOM and then all bets are off as you retain quite a bit of water (or at least I do!).

I would suggest you follow MFP's suggestions for losing 2 lbs per week (you should change that as you get closer to your goal but for now 2 lbs is fine) and then eat your exercise calories back. Do this for a month and see where you're at and adjust from there.

When I started, I had about 98 lbs to lose. I think MFP gave me 1460 calories, plus my exercise calories. It worked well.

Others will recommend you do TDEE - 20% which estimates the calories burned based on your self reported activity level and gives you an even number of calories to eat each day, and the weekly total will work out (ie with this method, you'll be eating more on non-workout days and less on workout days). When I do these calculations for myself, the weekly calories eaten end up very close to each other - within 50 to 100 calories difference only. But for me, I would rather not get the "extra" calories until I do my workout. That's motivating to me - knowing I can eat more. Over the last 4 weeks or so, I haven't been able to work out much due to vacations, poor weather, and a family member in the hospital. If I was eating TDEE-20%, I would be overeating.
  • TRobinson43
    TRobinson43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Instead of running 5 miles in an hour, try HIIT. I started doing this last year and it really ramped up my metabolism. I started losing weight immediatley. You can burn 300 calories in 25 minutes doing HIIT and your body keeps burning them throughout the day!!