Have you decided not to weigh yourself daily? Please share:)

Options

Replies

• fallenoaks50
    Options
    I weigh myself on the 1st of every month. In the past I have been discouraged when the scale doesn't show what I think it should, so I'm trying to stop focusing on it too much.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once every couple of months. An honest look in the mirror will tell you if you are progressing. Or taking measurements is a better indicator of progress and also how you're clothes fit.
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hell no. Every time i gained weight backwas because i stopped weighing myself. It leads to not weighing your food, and eventually stop exercising. Dont stop, trust me.
    Im not goIng to stop logging food and exercising I'm just thinking I should weigh myself once a week on the weekends at someone else's house :)

I totally get where he is coming from, i also stopped weigh in every other day and as a result of not keeping tracK of my weight i GAINED! The scale was a form of motivation for me, if i gained a pound i would go hard at the gym to make sure i lost it again.

But i guess it depends on the person, not everyone will agree with me.
  • SadieRose07
    SadieRose07 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once per week, on Saturday morning.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I am much more obsessed over inches.

I want to track my measurements over how much I weigh.

I also know I am going to lose weight so I plan on weighing myself one or twice a month. Just don't get too focused on the numbers, your weight can fluctuate. The important thing is how much better you look and feel.

I meant to weigh myself on Tuesday at the scale at the gym, but forgot. so I will wait until Friday when I go again.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have noticed it's sometimes a trigger for overeating for me no matter which way it moves so have put it away. Plan to weigh once or twice a month because I do want the accountability.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I started, never had a true idea of what my weight was. I knew it was over 300,but ashamed.
    I finally got on the scale a few weeks later and was 291. I didn't get back on until weeks later on Thanksgiving afternoon and was 17lbs lighter!
    I try to weight once a week,but alot of times it's every other week.
    If I did weight everyday, would get depress
  • mariaborden37
    Options
    I decided to weigh myself once a week on Mondays. Monday this week was the day I started. I am one of those people that gets hung up on the number and I need ti stick with this. Why put myself through the torture of water fluctuations etc...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Most people probably shouldn't weigh themselves daily. Most people simply don't understand how this works...don't understand natural weight fluctuations, etc. To boot, most people are overly obsessed with that number on the scale and don't even really know what that number means.

I myself weigh in pretty much every day...at least 3-5 days per week at any rate. I like data and analyzing data and I understand how all of this works and I understand daily fluctuations and I know that my weight isn't static...fluctuations do not bother me in the least and I am far more interested in long term trend analysis. But most people on MFP aren't there and should really be doing once per week at the most...same time and under roughly the same conditions.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Started out weighing only once a month because I was worried I would get too obsessed over the number. I also take pics and measurements. But eventually I went to daily weighing because I found that I wasn't obsessed and didn't melt down if I was up 2 pounds from the day before. I find it kind of fascinating actually, seeing how different things affected the number via water weight. I 'gain' the day after strength training, after several doses of ibuprofen, from eating too much salt, from hormonal fluctuations. Interestingly, I 'lose' the day after HIIT workouts. All that is basically meaningless as far as fat loss goes, but it does help me keep my head on straight, strangely enough.

My all time record was a 7 pound 'gain' 'after two free days one holiday including two huge meals with family at home and then a second day where I ate pizza and Chinese food with no restrictions. It was gone in 4 days (and another pound with it).
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    for me weighing dailly even once in morning and once before bed works... i don't freak if it goes up or down i just know when it is time to be honest with myself and stop being lazy and get up and work out instead of staying in bed... i also measure once a month and take pictures so if the scales don't move but the measurments go down i know it is working... i think it depends on the person if you obsess over every little tenth then it is probably not a good thing...
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I am obsessed, I will admit it, but I am okay with it.
  • episcopal
    Options
    I struggle with this whenever I go through periods when I've been off my regular exercise routine. This happens when there are long days at work and when the "unexpected" happens and I have to shift my schedule. But as someone else has said, weight does fluctuate. There will be ups and downs no matter how well we eat and how much exercise we accomplish.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself less frequently than before on other diets and fads- maybe that's my 'dealbreaker' this time.. I'm less inclined to give up or get down if I'm not relying on a number. Everyone has a hopeful number in mind when they step on the scales or where they think they are only to sometimes be disappointed. I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks and won't do until next weekend. I don't have personal scales but since coming round to the idea of long-term, maybe it's best. I just intend to weigh myself at my mum's instead. I KNOW I would become obsessed with it anyway if I did!
  • AppleGrapeMSTK
    AppleGrapeMSTK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I totally weigh every day. It's part of my morning routine. I like to see the small changes. I am down .2 of a pound from yesterday. It keeps me motivated, like I must be doing something right, so I better keep at it! I know that the scale can change a whole lot in the course of a day, so I give myself some leeway. I just get pumped when it goes down, no matter how small.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't even weight myself monthly.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you're the type of person that will obsess over the number then you shouldn't do it every day. If you are the type that can use it as a tool no matter what it says then do it every day.

I weigh myself everyday, at the same time, and keep track of it. I only log my weight on MFP once every week or so. It's a good tool to see trends and correct problems before they get too far out of hand but it is just that, a tool.

I couldn't imagine going a month and not weighing myself. For me, 30 days is a long time to stay at maintenance or ,even worse, gain a few pounds while blissfully doing the same thing day in and day out without knowing what is happening. If I maintain my weight for more than 7 or 8 days then I know that something isn't right and I can fix it. I would hate to jump on the scale at the end of the month and realize that I hadn't done anything different but had time to fix it and didn't...

But that's just me... :drinker:
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am a ridiculous data nerd* so I weigh myself daily, sometimes multiple times a day. I like having a better handle on the correlation between how I feel physically vs how much I weigh vs my recent diet vs what I see in the mirror.

This works for me only because I don't assign any value to the number on the scale, though. I expect it to go up and down, so I don't get upset when it ticks upward and stays there for a couple days. This wasn't true when I was younger -- a few years ago, when I did tie self-worth to that number, weighing at night after dinner would have been incredibly emotionally destructive. These days, though, the emotion involved is curiosity and not anxious trepidation.

*There's a spreadsheet. It's bad.
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself because I think scales are a culprit. I go by how I feel and how my clothes fit.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and record it daily. I weigh myself in the same conditions at the same time of day in the same point of my routine, and if I can't be there at that time then I don't weigh in that day. I think this is the most accurate picture of my progress, and it helps me keep on track to see the graph with the more detailed data points. I still keep a log of the change for each week, but this way I can calculate that change for any two points in a week or month, and correlate it with my average calories. I think it will be most helpful when I (someday very, very far away) get to my UGW.