What do you eat between breakfast and lunch?

Options
Hi!

I started my first job 2 weeks ago. My life has changed from being an active student, to sitting all day, and waking up early, and fitting exercise into my schedule with my long commute.

I have to wake up at 6AM, eat breakfast around 7AM (2 eggs, and 2 toast). I find myself lightheaded at work by 11AM. It is too early for lunch, but a snack doesn't seem enough. Sometimes I end up eating my lunch at this time, but then get hungry again by 3:30-4PM. And then I feel lightheaded during my commute home. To avoid this, I end up eating chilli and bagel around that time. But then, I am not really hungry for dinner, and do not end up eating much (maybe 1/4 cup rice and some veggies)

My question is, what can you eat between breakfast and lunch that is more than a snack, but not unhealthy? I was thinking oatmeal? Anyone else have this issue of waking up early, and getting super hungry before lunch time? What do you do?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want..just make sure you maintain a calorie deficit...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything between breakfast and lunch.

I'm mostly on the same schedule as you - breakfast at 7:00, lunch around 11:30. My breakfast is either oatmeal or a greek yogurt smoothie. Lunch is typically a hearty homemade soup, fruit, chips and guac and then some other side item between 150-200 calories - sometimes that's chocolate coconut water, sometimes it's a Luna bar, sometimes it's cookies.

What are you typically eating for lunch? Maybe you need more food?

I usually go all afternoon without snacking, get my workout in and then eat dinner around 6:30.

By the end of the day, I've usually eaten about 2,200 calories.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want..just make sure you maintain a calorie deficit...

I thought this was the maintenance part of the forum? I typically try to avoid a calorie deficit to maintain.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Usually a Greek Yogurt or apple/orange/banana.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast around 6:30, lunch at 11:00 and dinner around 5:30 or 6:00. Eat when you're hungry. I also drink lots of water which helps me feel full. If you need a snack, almonds and Greek yogurt both work for me.
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually have some almonds and a fruit and maybe a bit of greek yogurt at around 10 am. I find the almonds pretty filling and I'm not hungry till lunch time. In the afternoon I'll have another fruit or something like carrot sticks around 2 or 3 pm.

Don't know if this will help at all but thats what I do!
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I portion out baggies of ten almonds... Seems extreme but it's literally just what I need between breakfast and lunch.
  • adamdlc
    adamdlc Posts: 34
    Options
    second breakfast
  • jcanen57
    jcanen57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try a protein bar (usually less than 200 calories)

I usually eat my meals at 8 - 12 and 6 - if I get hungry between a meal - I usually grab a fruit, or eat a 100 calorie snack.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3hrs, so 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm. 6am is usually a smoothie with protein powder, 1/2 banana and a spoon of greek yoghurt. 9am is my bigger 'breakfast' of eggwhites, brown rice and vegies. This usually lasts me to 12 (just, I'm starving at 11.30 lol).
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I often eat a quest bar for a snack between breakfast and lunch to tide me over. I find them very filling.
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts or fruit. Today for my morning snack I had a muffin. Its pretty much whatever you want to eat as long as you don't go over your daily allowed calories.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do you like hummus ? Try it with veggies. I also will eat weight watchers cheese, it is hard to find, but Walmart carries it. It is near the deli and comes in triangles, in a round container that are between 35-40 calories each. Try to stay away from deli meats and cheeses because they are full of junk. Sometimes when I am on the road I carry pistachios or almonds, high in fiber and protein. I keep them in 1/8 servings in snack bags in my glove box. Hope this helps.
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I usually eat half of my breakfast around 7:30, and the other half around 10. That way, it feels like I've eaten 2 meals, when I've actually eaten 1! Also It's way better for your metabolism and energy levels to eat smaller meals more frequently..
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    another good idea is a big bowl of oatmeal and some nuts for breakfast... I find that keeps me full for HOURS! Great stuff
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you really want your lunch at 11am - how about making a 2-part lunch? I usually bring a salad or quinoa/salmon/veggie mix , along with a greek yogurt, lara bar, or fruit. Or bring soup or string cheese! I eat the main part at 12pm, and the yogurt or whatever at 3pm. You could do 11am/2pm or whatever works for you. My whole lunch together is 400-500 calories, so make sure you've got enough calories, healthy fat & protein to keep you full.
    I find greek yogurt really filling; it would be a great AM snack. It's healthier sugar-wise to flavor your own, but I am obsessed with the fage strawberry or cherry cups - they honestly taste like dessert!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Second Breakfast
    Elevensies

Also Afternoon Tea to stave off the 4pm hunger.

Why don't you just go ahead and eat lunch at 11 when you get hungry and eat a snack around 3?
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Some nuts or fruit, I like to keep it all whole foods between meals:)
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    I eat an ounce of cheese and a piece of fruit if I'm hungry. It sounds like you need snacks, no need to suffer. :flowerforyou: