PACT

Options
Has anyone registered for PACT? You can read about it on myfitnesspal blog but basically you commit to doing 30 minutes of exercise a day. IF you don't meet your goal, your are charged a fee. If you do meet your goal, you earn money.
I signed up. I think it will be great motivation for me to exercise and log my food each day.

Replies

• chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    meh

everyone should be doing that anyway. dont tie it to something negative like punishment.
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    meh

everyone should be doing that anyway. dont tie it to something negative like punishment.

Agreed.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I looked at the site, and it seems very stressful, to be honest! Under their FAQ's they actually say that if you're sick, they may ask for your doctor or employer's information to verify! YIKES! Very, very invasive... I'd much rather hold myself accountable to working out and not have my business aired out like that to a company.
  • sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yep! Signed up this morning. I don't see why one wouldn't do it. I am super committed to this and love logging so I don't see myself falling off and having to owe. Plus...if I get sick why wouldn't I still log?! Yep...may as well get a lil money for what I will be doing anyway! :)
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the app then learned about what is involved. It gets way to personal and invasive for me. I also feel like it is a form of gambling. Just my opinion. I deleted it.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Yep! Signed up this morning. I don't see why one wouldn't do it. I am super committed to this and love logging so I don't see myself falling off and having to owe. Plus...if I get sick why wouldn't I still log?! Yep...may as well get a lil money for what I will be doing anyway! :)

You can also log fitness, and when I'm really sick I don't work out... And I don't feel I should have to show "proof" of me being sick to an app to justify why I'm not working out. Just my opinion.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options

You can also log fitness, and when I'm really sick I don't work out... And I don't feel I should have to show "proof" of me being sick to an app to justify why I'm not working out. Just my opinion.

This!!!!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind showing proof if I'm sick or injured . Really , especially when so many people would lie in order not to have to pay the consequences of their own actions or nonactions as it may be . It's not a gamble ... there is no 'CHANCE " involed . Either I will do what I say I will or not it's a choice not a gamble .....

And I will make enough money on the app to maybe buy myself a new pair of shoes ... they can be my PACT shoes lol or Dooney and Burke hand bag oohh,

Amy
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    The reviews are not great - a lot of people have problems getting it to record and sync correctly, and messages to customer service go unanswered.
    I downloaded it this morning and it timed out every time I tried to sync to MFP or Paypal. Problems like that right from the beginning made me think that the reviews are probably accurate, so I deleted the app.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been using PACT for about 2 months. The workouts earn normally about $.40/each but this last week they were worth only $.30/each, most likely because of everyone following their New Year resolutions. I use syncing with Runkeeper and MapMyFitness for most workouts but a couple times have used the gym login too.

This was my earnings statement for last week, which just came today:

Congratulations, you’ve made the following Pacts:

GymPact of 5 days for week ending January 12th, 2014 - $1.50 rewards earned
    Food Logging Pact of 7 days for week ending January 12th, 2014 - $0.84 rewards earned

For these Pacts you owe $0 and you’ve earned a total of $2.34.

Cheers,
    The Pact Team

I'll take free money any day :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have been using PACT for about 2 months. The workouts earn normally about $.40/each but this last week they were worth only $.30/each, most likely because of everyone following their New Year resolutions. I use syncing with Runkeeper and MapMyFitness for most workouts but a couple times have used the gym login too.

Food Logging Pact of 7 days for week ending January 12th, 2014 - $0.84 rewards earned

Cheers,
    The Pact Team

that can't even get me a gallon of gas

can you lie on this PACT app?
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I decided to give it a try for food logging. Works fine for me except that I'd already completed my 7 days and went to log tomorrow's food (I pre log the majority of my days since I work a lot and it's easy to plan what I need to bring). I logged breakfast for tomorrow and got distracted, then it sent me an email like 5 minutes later saying that 1/17's food log would not count since I didn't have 3 meals and 1200 calories. Annoying, but it doesn't bother me much. I emailed their customer service to explain that it's unnecessary to send those kinds of email the day before the day in question, not sure if they will do anything about that.

If anyone is using it at the gym, do you have to keep your phone attached to your body while you're working out? I have a bluetooth headset for music, and just leave my phone on the floor or in a cupholder while I am doing my routine, so I haven't signed up for a gym one yet since I don't know whether it will charge me for not moving around with my phone on me.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    So far I'm liking it. I am not doing the gym part (I like to work out at home) but I really like the logging and the veggie one.
  • Sunitagt
    Options

Cheers,
    The Pact Team

that can't even get me a gallon of gas

can you lie on this PACT app?

You could probably log 3x quick-added calorie meals of 600 calories each. But it only syncs straight with MFP for the food logging one, so you'd have to lie on MFP.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you are logging in to the gym, it uses GPS to confirm you are there for at least 30 minutes, so you don't need to have the phone on you to record activity during your workout.

PACT can also apparently use the newer iPhone motion chip to record at-home workouts, but don't know anything more about that because I am Android. You could sit at your gym's parking lot for 30 minutes a day if you wanted to "cheat" but otherwise it is either using activity recorded by it or synced from another app to verify you are doing what you say you are doing. The fruit/veggie pact is crowdsource verified.

The money isn't big enough to be worth trying to cheat the system but an extra $10/mo. to do things I will do anyways seems like a no-brainer. It has also forced me to go out and do a couple walks to avoid the $5/day penalty when I would have skipped them otherwise, which I think is great as it kept me more active.

It's not for everyone but I think a lot of people here on MFP would benefit.
  • Sunitagt
    Options
    If you are logging in to the gym, it uses GPS to confirm you are there for at least 30 minutes, so you don't need to have the phone on you to record activity during your workout.

PACT can also apparently use the newer iPhone motion chip to record at-home workouts, but don't know anything more about that because I am Android. You could sit at your gym's parking lot for 30 minutes a day if you wanted to "cheat" but otherwise it is either using activity recorded by it or synced from another app to verify you are doing what you say you are doing. The fruit/veggie pact is crowdsource verified.

The money isn't big enough to be worth trying to cheat the system but an extra $10/mo. to do things I will do anyways seems like a no-brainer. It has also forced me to go out and do a couple walks to avoid the $5/day penalty when I would have skipped them otherwise, which I think is great as it kept me more active.

It's not for everyone but I think a lot of people here on MFP would benefit.

Thanks for the info! I'm on andriod too, so maybe I'll give it a try next week. I'm with you, I do these things anyway, why not have some extra pocket change while I'm at it? :drinker:
  • pookahbot
    pookahbot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for it, but I haven't finished my first full week yet. I have had problems getting it to check in at my gym (it takes forever, but I suspect that part of it is my phone's ridiculously slow switch from network to wifi), but I do eventually get it to work.

For those of you who say you've deleted the app, please be sure you either froze or deleted your account first, especially if you've already given your credit card #. Deleting an app will not delete any accounts you've created, nor will it negate any Pacts you may have already set up (they say that in the FAQ).
  • MrsParrott11
    MrsParrott11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for PACT today, but I can't figure out how I upload my veggie pact images???
  • katie33001
    Options
    I've been using it for months. I've made nearly $90 and have had no problems withdrawing it. I had one week when I was ill and had an issue contacting support. I got charged but I complained and they refunded promptly.

For gym workouts, I have to check in in the parking lot. If I'm actually inside, my connection is poor and it sometimes won't register. But I never have a problem once it's connected. At home workouts are fine, I hold it in my hand while doing turbo fire. It registers the motion each minute.

When I started, I set it to 3-4 workouts a week. That way if I had a check in issue or forgot, I could make it up without being charged.

It does have problems. Customer support is pretty terrible but if you give yourself wiggle room in case of issues you can make some money. It's not much but I average $12 a month for something that takes minimal effort. I have to replace my $90 gym shoes every 3-5 months so it helps offset that cost.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm using it and it's awesome.