When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    My in laws sent me a picture of myself and my youngest son, taken without my knowledge. Because my face and neck and hands and arms haven't really gotten big at all over the years, I kind of fooled myself into thinking I wasn't that big. But nope, all that extra weight is in my back, butt and stomach. UGH.

Funny how when I was 140 lbs I thought I was "fat". Partly because my stomach muscles were destroyed by exploratory surgery in my teens, but yeah, that was actually a healthy weight for me. Four kids later, 60 lbs pregnancy weight per kid, and 10 pounds of that stayed put afterwards...I ended up at 180 at 5'8" and just not liking the way clothes fit, the way I feel, hating the glimpses of myself I catch in store windows. It's time to change all that, not to mention lose the pounds so my joints don't ache and I get fitter so I can keep up with my toddler!
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    When nosy people at my church started a rumor that I was pregnant....then had the audacity to ask my dad about it. If I ever find out who had the cajones to do that, her and I will have to sit down and have a long "chat". :mad:

Oh, I've had that happen. When my first kid was about a year old, a very nice old lady (who worked at the health food store in town where I shopped a lot) stopped me, patted my tummy and congratulated me in front of the rest of the congregation after I got back from receiving Communion. I had to tell her, no, I wasn't expecting, that was just my gut. When I went to the store the next day she was just mortified and kept apologizing over and over. It was kind of funny but it wasn't.
  • JenniferT89
    Options
    I started my gym membership/working out last September. I am 24 and a student, I took all online classes over the summer, my intention was to spend the summer hiking and going to the dog park, etc. When summer hit, it rained nearly every day, and I only got to the river three times, no hiking, dog park just a few times. I gained even more weight. That was the last straw! When September hit I felt like I had no energy, ever. I joined the gym and got moving! I immediately saw improvements in my weight and overall energy.

This month I am starting a new routine, I am taking weight training on Mon, Wen and Fri and a cardio class on Tues and Thurs through school. I am trying to still hit my gym occasionally- weekends? I have lost 17 pounds since last September and can't wait to see that number go down more!
  • beachbum1984
    Options
    1) Realizing NONE of my clothes fit nicely anymore. I was trying to blame it on things like the dryer, or "maybe it always fit this way", but when I found that nothing was comfortable, it was time for a change.

2) I'm ready to get pregnant, and I know keeping in shape will only get harder for me from here on. I want to be at my prime, so that I will have a better time bouncing back.
  • mjoshua87
    Options
    Several. but the one that really sucked was when i i finally spent the money on my first pair of silver jeans and then they got too tight after all that money spent. now they are too big but i still have them for a pic once i reach my goal.
  • jonathanbramfield
    Options
    My girlfriend of six years leaving me for someone else.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself as a brides maid in my friends wedding party. I was "the fat one". Sigh...
  • baybayJJ
    Options
    I started a new job where all the girls were model-like thin/attractive. I've never been called "ugly", but my weight... I felt if i didn't do something about it, i'd've gotten fired.
    So, peer pressure, really :/
  • kymm40
    kymm40 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went to a reunion and saw my pictures and I wanted to cry. I actually did.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I believe it's when I was nearing 80KG (176.3 pounds). No way in hell was I going over 80KG again (I was about 84KG when I was 14 or so). That and I didn't like my body so I started doing something about it... I've been up and down but I'm back to being focused and even doing a Personal Fitness course! :)
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Shopping for 3x shirts for the first time.
    Didn't want to be that guy and hated what I had become.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I came back with pre-diabetes results from my blood work. Also the agony and self hate from not being able to control my binge eating episodes was so bad they either had to stop or I was going to commit suicide.

I found a therapist that deals specifically with binge eating and all that comes with it and I"m no longer pre-diabetic and I'm actually living my life. The only thing huge about me anymore is my sense of peace.
  • Bichonlovers
    Options
    When my cardiologist said there is nothing else he can do for me.
  • Bichonlovers
    Options
    I would love to find a therapist like you have.
  • sackings79
    Options
    I've been heavy since I had my son in 2008. Gained an obscene amount of weight in a short period of time (I'm talking months here).Ever since than ive always tried on my own with no success.

What really did it for me and made me join this community was the fact that I'm embarrassed to create a Facebook page because i dont want to show pics of myself. Im so camera shy now.
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Saw the scales in the bathroom, thought I'd set on them for a laugh and relaised I was 1 and a half stone heavier than I've ever been. Sealed the deal right then and there, since that moment I've lost 4Kgs (was only 2 weeks ago!) and it's melting off me with strict diet and exercise.
  • Elizvbm
    Elizvbm Posts: 21
    Options
    When I met my hubby we just got together for dinner, because of him working all day long that was the only moment to see each other, plus we made poor decisions about dinner. I was in 47kgs when I met him. For Christmas 3 1/2 months later I was 55kgs which was a lot in such a short time.

I did my best to not gain more weight because I was used to have huge dinners full of carbs.

Then we got engaged and I did my best to lose some weight, with the help of a nutriologist I made it to 52kgs and I felt happy and healthy. But after the wedding and moving from Mexico to Itally y practically just eat, eat everything I had in front of me, and again gained some kgs to 54 but exercising so I didn't think was that bad if they were muscles, then we moved again to another city, no gym, eating a lot, and again huge dinners, made it to 56kgs, which is the BIGGEST number I've ever seen n the scale.

Then no fitting in my all times fav jeans made me almost cry when my husband appeared in the room telling me that I better change because there was no way I could fit in those.

Right now after 2 weeks following Shaun T's workout T25 I have lost some centiemeters, and I'm in 55kgs. My energy is much more bigger than before, I do things that I didn't think I was able of. And having my husband by my side helps me to go on. Plus we want to grow our family as fast as possible, and I want to be fit and used to exercise so I can go back to my weight after giving birth. And I want to arrive to 30 in the best shape possible (I'm 28 almost 29)
  • Livestrongalways
    Options
    Hi I'm Karen and 31 years old, Mine was finding a lump in my breast while feeding my little girl, after lots of scans and biopsy's tests came back clear of the big C :) however I have to get it removed this year , my uncle just died of cancer a couple of days before Christmas also my dad died 8 years ago of the same thing.....I just keep thinking that if I ever do get cancer that I'm so unfit and over weight that my body wouldn't be strong enough to fight it...so I'm now doing this :) can't imagine not being here for my gorgeous girls and hubby <3
  • Ohio4Me
    Ohio4Me Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The turning point for me is when I had a double mastectomy. Now my belly really sticks out. Adding to that is the need to eat healthy and exercise as the first line of defense in fighting cancer. Right now there is no evidence of disease and I want to do my part to keep it that way.
  • RemiLynn79
    RemiLynn79 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Getting asked by 2 different people, that I saw on a daily/weekly basis, in the same week when I was due....I'm not pregnant. :embarassed: :huh: :grumble: