Muscles are sore, help.

Options
Hey guys tomorrow is my fit test for the insanity workout. My lower back muscles, my calfs, my thighs and my abs have pain.

Please give me advice on getting me through this. I want to do this...I don't want to quit.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Push through, no sense pulling back just because you're sore. The bulk of people you see at the gym day in and day out are sore too.

Rigger
  • skinnerj01
    skinnerj01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty if not excessive amounts of water. Also you will be sore for the first week or two. After that it'll be a mild twinge of pain. Just push through it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I thought you were supposed to take it easy when your muscles were sore.
  • DonnaElizabeth58
    Options
    You should give your body at least 24 hours to recover after working out; but if muscles are sore, moving them usually helps alleviate the pain.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a DVD series you can control if I'm not mistaken? If that's the case, just take a day off, especially if you are relatively new to working out. If a total rest day is out of the question I would recommend 30 min of light cardio (bike or elliptical or brisk walk) and stretching just to help flush the lactic acid out of your muscles and get fresh, nutrient rich blood in to help start the rebuilding process.

If you are just hell bent on doing it though, I would get in a hot tub/sauna/bath tub full of epsom salt and just soak for awhile. Be sure you're drinking a lot of water and be sure you are getting plenty of carbs to refill your muscle glycogen and protein to help rebuild the muscle. Glutamine can also be a big help in dealing with soreness if you have any or can get some easily. Hope this helps.
  • ThatsSOcleve
    Options
    Insanity is a DVD series you can control if I'm not mistaken? If that's the case, just take a day off, especially if you are relatively new to working out. If a total rest day is out of the question I would recommend 30 min of light cardio (bike or elliptical or brisk walk) and stretching just to help flush the lactic acid out of your muscles and get fresh, nutrient rich blood in to help start the rebuilding process.

If you are just hell bent on doing it though, I would get in a hot tub/sauna/bath tub full of epsom salt and just soak for awhile. Be sure you're drinking a lot of water and be sure you are getting plenty of carbs to refill your muscle glycogen and protein to help rebuild the muscle. Glutamine can also be a big help in dealing with soreness if you have any or can get some easily. Hope this helps.

Loved the response. Be my exercise friend.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Push through, no sense pulling back just because you're sore. The bulk of people you see at the gym day in and day out are sore too.

Rigger

Hahaha! I must be at the wrong gym. Half of the frickers at my gym are taking naps on the leg machine or chatting with their "workout buddy" in the squat rack for 20 minutes... Move Bishes! Get out the way!!

Anyway bro. mjudd hit the nail on the head. Go with it.
  • ThatsSOcleve
    Options
    Yeah no joke. It was insanely right on and I liked what I heard.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal, your using muscles you've probably never really used before. Take a day off and workout tomorrow if it's too much for you.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath with epsom salts dissolved in the water!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    Hot bath, 2000 MG of vitamin, 800 MG of Ibuprofen, stretching, and just going for it. Don't give up now.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I thought you were supposed to take it easy when your muscles were sore.

If that's the case, pro athletes would never be able to train l ol