Dieting for 2 weeks and only 1 pound lost

Options
Hi, I'm 5"1 and 144lb, I've been dieting for 2 weeks and only lost one pound, please can someone tell me where i'm going wrong???
I work out twice a week, have breakfast lunch and dinner every day and walk for 20 minutes every day.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not doing anything wrong, you're just being a bit impatient.

If in another 2 weeks you have only lost 1 more pound i would check your numbers and make sure you are weighing and measuring and logging everything accurately.
  • misskells
    Options
    I just expected to lose at least 2lb a week, when I last dieted I lost 4lb the first week, now I just can seem to get back under the 140lb mark.
    I've made my diary public so you can have a look
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I just expected to lose at least 2lb a week, when I last dieted I lost 4lb the first week, now I just can seem to get back under the 140lb mark.

thats just water... you dont have enough weight to lose to expect 2lb per week.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    1lb is a good loss and if you kept that up you would be where you want to be in no time, it just takes patience. I personally would say that you could do with eating more though, if you want to keep it up long term. I eat 1600 cals a day (don't eat back exercise cals,except maybe at weekends) and I lost 1lb in two weeks as well and I am only 1 inch taller than you.
  • Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    [/quote

Yes that's definitely only water weight. You need to really look at what you are eating, make sure you are eating enough calories to prevent starvation, this will make your metabolism slow down and keep everything you are eating resulting in little weight loss if not eventually weight gain. Consider upping your protein and fat intake and decreasing your carbs. When working out or not your body will always burn the stored sugars (carbs) for energy first, then fat then protein. So if you increase the fat intake (make sure its good fat) and protein but lower your carbs your body will have less sugars to metabolize for energy and will get into metabolizing the fat sooner the higher protein is to ensure you do not lose muscle mass from this approach. This will train your body into burning fat storage for energy allowing you to drop in weight. Also, make sure you're not only looking at the scale to measure progress. Measure your bust, waist, hips, thighs arms and neck once or twice a month. You may not be losing in pounds because you may be gaining muscle, in which case your measurements will always show more progress than your scale. ]
  • misskells
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I leave everything to the last minute, I'm a bridesmaid for my friends wedding on 1st March and when I tried my dress on I hated myself my arms are huge!! I wanted to be at least 133, where I should be for my height
  • chandra2802
    chandra2802 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First off.. i am happy with a steady slow weight loss.. took me years to put it on and it will take atleast a few to take it off. Dont be defined by the scale. Depending on what kind of work outs your doing maybe you are loosing weight slowly but building that muscle. Toned arms and a nice bottom looks better in a dress then undereating skinny any day. Keep on pushing through. If you keep pushing yourself you will not only look better in that dress but the confidence will shine through.
  • gblaise
    gblaise Posts: 12
    Options
    Remember... Muscle weighs more than fat! You are losing fat, but gaining muscle. Don't get discouraged!
  • gblaise
    gblaise Posts: 12
    Options
    I am 5'0 and 180. I am well proportioned so don't think a certain weight is good for your height, it's about body and bone structure.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First, 0.5 lb per week is good for someone of your weight

Second, you might be eating more than you think:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

I notice you are using measurements like 0.5 cups, 1 chicken breast. I recommend that you weigh everything, and put in the actual weight as both chicken breasts and cups vary in size so aren't very precise.

Also, you ate 125g rice. The annoying thing is that a lot of companies quote their rice calories as the cooked weight, not the dried weight. For 125 dry weight of rice I would expect about 340 - 400 cal (I spent ages the other night trying to find that out!).

Hope that's helpful!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Remember... Muscle weighs more than fat! You are losing fat, but gaining muscle. Don't get discouraged!

hehe no.

1lb of muscle weights the same as 1lb of fat and you can gain muscle at a deficet.

To the OP you are doing fine but that being said I noticed you don't use a food scale. You can find them cheap and they work great at helping you log accurately.

1/2lb a week is good fo the little bit you have anything more wouldn't be healthy.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do some arm exercises to make them look better!
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Go by the measurements along with the weight. I lost only 6lbs last year, but I can also fit in size 12 again. Yes I'd like to loose more, but I also like.... strike that, LOVE food that is not good for me.

I live on a maintain diet hoping to loose a little, but more important to me is to tone up. Going by your weight, you are almost 20lbs lighter than me, so I cant see how you'd have much that you needed to loose, maybe you should consider changing the view to a toneing rather than a diet.

It works for me, there is no way I can get depressed looking at the weight on the scales because I dont obsess about it, I honestly think too many people do.
  • misskells
    Options
    Anyone know of any bingo wing arm exercises then?

I don't weigh things because I don't know how much to weigh out.

In the UK we have a shop called Marks & Spencer, they have lovely heat up meals that I like to have but they only have 400 kals max and I want to eat fresh food really, plus the are expensive!

I should be 134lb for my height too, my BMI should be 25 and its 27.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    M&S food is good, but I prefer to make up my own foods from scratch. Instead of a jar of tomato sauce for chicken pasta, tomatoes, onion, peppers and garlic. You can check my meals, I put in the ingredients used to make the meal, not all healthy and low cals though as hubby has an offinity for Chritzo, simple white fish and veg is good.

You can do simple things for bingo wings, before I got weights I used to use a rolled up sleeping bag (in its bag). one side iin one hand, one in the other and litterly just hold it above my head, drop to the back of my neck and pick it back up above my head again.

There are also loads on the web

http://www.womensfitness.co.uk/fitness/655/bingo-wings-exercises

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/bingo-wings-blaster.aspx
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Anyone know of any bingo wing arm exercises then?

press ups, tricep dips
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Where are you going wrong? In your disappointment of losing weight...
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You've lost a pound. That's great. Maybe readjust your expectations. You don't have much to lose and will eventually get there.
  • misskells
    Options
    well, I didn't loose anything this week, and I've done two 2 hour workouts with one burning 900 cals using weights too :(
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Your goal of weighing 133 by March 1st is really unrealistic. That's where you're going wrong. Read more posts on here to get a more realistic expectation of how quickly you will lose the weight and then just keep at it diligently - it will come off if you stick to your calorie goals and don't try to speed it up by undereating.