5:2 Diet

Options
Has anyone got any stories about trying the 5:2 diet? Last year I just watched my calories and exercised loads and didn't lose too much. This year I want to lose about 2 and a half stone (currently 12 stone - have been last 2/3 years).

I have started this and found the fasting days okay. I am not being totally strict in the days off (ie perhaps eating just over 1,200 2/3 days.

I took my time in deciding this method - I read a fantastic book which explained the benefits inc weight loss and general health.

Replies

• KilCARR
    Options
    Hi, I've just completed by 6th "fast" day which is 560 cals for me based on my level of activity etc. Work our your BMR there are free calculators available on line - it will help you fine tune the 5:2 to your requirements. I'm actually doing 4:3 as I only have a short time to shift approx 10-13lbs before my wedding in May. I'm finding that suprisingly even on my "feed" days I am not managing to reach to my maintenance calorie count of 2,300, at a push I don't naturally eat more than 2,000 cals in a day I would have to make a concerted effort to do so - which I think is kind of counter intuative!?!
    I'm not finding the "fast" days too much of a problem - just have to plan in advance and check out the calories online before I eat out anywhere. I prefer to eat my calories in 3 meals so I keep them to around 100-200 per meal + a couple of white coffees which with a bit of planning is easier than you'd think.

I have a few docotrs in my family and 2 of them are following it with great success for the last 6 months or so - which gives me confidence.

Good luck!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Have a look in the Groups section, there are some 5.2 groups there, no doubt with lots of experienced folk among them
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the 5:2 diet is that you're supposed to eat at maintenance on your "feed" days and that's why it works - physically because you're not letting your body adjust to a constant calorie deficit, and mentally because you only have to "diet" for two days a week so you're likely to stick with it longer. Continuing to restrict on the other five days kind of defeats the whole purpose.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My understanding of the 5:2 diet is that you're supposed to eat at maintenance on your "feed" days and that's why it works - physically because you're not letting your body adjust to a constant calorie deficit, and mentally because you only have to "diet" for two days a week so you're likely to stick with it longer. Continuing to restrict on the other five days kind of defeats the whole purpose.

^This was my thought as well while reading your post. Is there any reason in particular you've decided to restrict on your non-fast days as well?
  • RoswaB
    RoswaB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you watch the original documentary about it they actually concluded with testing that the weight loss and health benefits weren't affected by what was eaten on the feast days. They had candidates that watched what they ate and others that went to 110% of their usual intake as compensation... both groups showed the same progress.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I never recommend any diets. Your 'diet' should be healthy, under your calorie intake but include your regular foods which you would have eaten while not on a diet.

No-one should be told to starve or told when or what to eat. This is what makes diets so unappealing.
  • RoswaB
    RoswaB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's what makes diets unappealing for you... It's what makes this diet so appealing for many.