2014 : 5:2 fasters or alternate day fasting

Options
If your doing any of these this year and plan go stick with it add me or post here ????

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why fast or suffer? Couldnt think of anything less appealing.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I did ADF for weight loss. I no longer do IF now that I'm in maintenance (focusing now on macros/ IIFYM for fitness goals), but I'll cheer you all on! I loved doing it and it worked beautifully for me :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought for you..... Having a daily deficit was a lot less appealing to me than 5:2 when I was losing weight.
  • twixlepennie
    Options

I loved doing ADF, lost over 50lbs on the plan, and never once felt like I was suffering. It's not for everyone, but for some people it's a good fit :smile:
  • eldamiano
    Options
    Here's a thought for you..... Having a daily deficit was a lot less appealing to me than 5:2 when I was losing weight.

Isnt that what exercise is about? So that you can give yourself allowances to eat what you find more enjoyable?
  • kathygolean
    kathygolean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Michael Mosley's "The Fast Diet" and have ordered his new book "Fast Exercise." My husband (a Registered Nurse) is doing it as well. He says "it just makes good sense." Watched his documentary on Netflix and learned about him and how he came up with his theories. My husband lost so much weight doing 5:2 he had to cut back to only fasting one day a week. It hasn't worked that well for me; however, I do find I can lose if I'm good on my feed days and otherwise I maintain. I'm currently in a "Biggest Loser" contest at work that we just started Jan 13 and we are going until our final weigh in date of June 2. I'm using myfitnesspal to log my calories and exercise. I'm hopeful I can get to my goal weight of losing 30 lbs and then continuing the 5:2 to maintain. Would love to be your friend! I like knowing that I'm doing my insides good as well as losing the weight. :)
  • sijomial
    Options

Isnt that what exercise is about? So that you can give yourself allowances to eat what you find more enjoyable?
    Huh? Don't see the relevance of your comment at all - your still need a net deficit to lose weight.
    BTW I averaged over 5000 cals of exercise a week last year while doing 5:2.

You seem to have some very odd perceptions of IF.
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've just completed my first fast day! :happy: I read a lot about the benefits, and thought I could use the discipline. I'm planning to fast on Fridays and Monday, so that I can be a little more relaxed about what I eat over the weekend.

Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was doing 5:2 but it's easier for me, and more satisfying, to eat zero calories on a fasting day than to try and keep it at 500. I'm moving towards ADF this week and giving it a try.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

There are a variety of reasons one might prefer fasting over a daily caloric deficit. While *you* might find it unappealing, there are plenty of others for whom it works.

For me, I like the challenge of fasting. I also like the mental clarity that comes with pursuing that challenge. I also like the concept of creating a caloric deficit on those days and not worrying so much the rest of the week. On a more personal note, there is a spiritual element for me; many religious traditions regard fasting very highly.

I can understand how it might not work for some people, but for many of us, it works. To each their own. :drinker:
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Huh? Don't see the relevance of your comment at all - your still need a net deficit to lose weight.

wtv works. Ghandi fasted no problemo.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about IF, not sure if I could do it but want to learn. In for inspiration :)
  • eldamiano
    Options

Eh? You need a net deficit regardless, 5:2, whatever.

Do exercise however, and you can eat more like you normally would while not on a diet. Where is the suffering? If you dont want to do exercise, fine, but just eat less of what you did before.

Cannot see the appeal of something so unnatural as practically starving yourself for 2 days per week.
  • twixlepennie
    Options

Do exercise however, and you can eat more like you normally would while not on a diet. Where is the suffering? If you dont want to do exercise, fine, but just eat less of what you did before.

Cannot see the appeal of something so unnatural as practically starving yourself for 2 days per week.

:huh: Yeah, ok you keep thinking this way. Doesn't change the fact that IF is a valid method and lots of people enjoy doing it and have had great results. If you're not interested in it that's fine, but you're arguing against people who have actually done it and have had nothing but good experiences with it.
  • sijomial
    Options

Yes you need a deficit to lose weight - it is just over the course of an entire week instead of every day. Not rocket science!

Doing 5:2 (or 16:8, or ADF) doesn't mean you can't exercise - no idea why you think that is the case.
    You seem to be missing the point so let me reiterate - you can exercise doing 5:2, I wouldn't have attempted my 100 mile cycle ride on a fasting day obviously but I do exercise when fasted.

Some people prefer 2 days at a large deficit and 5 days eating normally as opposed to a calorie deficit every day. Just because it isn't your preference doesn't make it wrong or unnatural.

Do you really think a perfectly calorie and macro balanced day every single is a natural way to eat? That's only been possible since refrigeration. Have you ever considered why we store excess energy as fat? It's to get through periods where food isn't so readily available.
  • our_ayley
    our_ayley Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i'm curious too. would like to start but would need motivation on fast days!
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    i'm curious too. would like to start but would need motivation on fast days!

You can send me a message/friend request if you'd like some help getting started :) I no longer do ADF now that I'm in maintenance and have shifted focus from weight loss to fitness goals, but I truly enjoyed doing IF and I believe it's a great option for some people.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday, supporting my other half, but was pleasantly surprised how easy it actually was.....feel free to add me!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    its not for me but ive heard a lot of people doing well on this so if its something you wanna do go for it!
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've been intermittent fasting for most my life (I don't eat in the morning) and I train fasted as well. Even as a kid I never enjoyed eating in the morning, but never realized I was fasting. But I've strictly been IF for the last 4 years, everyday... I'll never eat any other way now.

Pretty much I eat from 2-8pm every day. I love it... eating in the morning makes me tired, lethargic and grumpy. Plus I get more satiation from 2-3 larger meals than 6 tiny meals.

It's not for everyone tho, especially woman, since IF can really screw with their hormones.

But a few studies have shown that we likely evolved to eating like this, since way back in our hunter/gather phase of humanity, there was no such thing as refrigeration, we had to wake up every morning and go gather or hunt for our food. There was no such thing as 'breakfest' and only ate til much later in the day.

A few key benefits like, Insulin sensitivity, is dramatically improved with IF or various other fasting protocols. But one of the biggest benefits, HGH (human growth hormone) also increases up to 2200% in some studies done on IF. Longevity is increased, stamina, endurance. Everything improves when you include some sort of fasting regimen in your life. Not to mention it gives your digestive system a break, which improves nutrient uptake due to the villi on your small intestines gaining more surface area to absorb food.

All in all, fasting protocols have a long laundry list of studies showing their benefits over traditional eating. I suggest anyone interested doing their own research and educate yourself on the matter.

Great site that has a ton of actual real studies and information on IF and fasted training.

http://www.leangains.com

At the end of the day tho, your diet still needs to be spot on, you still can;t eat whatever the hell you want. Calories in calories out. Also, IF is just not for everyone... really just comes down to whatever eating protocol works for you at the end of the day. There's no right or wrong way to eat, as long as your nutrition is spot on at the end of the day. Just find whatever works for you and run with it.

Biggest advice I can give to anyone starting a fasting protocol, is to stick with it for at least a month. There is a thing called 'hormonal' entrainment' that your body starts to sync into a rhythm on. Once it does, fasting becomes super easy, your energy sky rockets during your fasting phase and hunger no long becomes an issue.