gaining a bit after starting a new routine

Options
I have started a new strength training routine, still tracking my food closely and staying in all my macros and assuring I have the right level of protein to do the program, lots of water…. blah blah blah….

But I went on the scale for the first time in about 2 weeks and I am up a couple lbs. I know it is an adjustment period but I hate the mind trick that the scale can play on you.

Replies

• Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It can be disheartenining. I have just began a new lifting and eating regime, I weighed myself before I started and will be weighing myself again one month in. I purposely have no scales in my house and can only weigh myself accurately at the doctors. This stops the slump for me, I know I would be negatively affected by a gain so I dont allow myself to see one!

Ditch the scales, the tape is your friend now :) xx
  • copselily
    copselily Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm exactly the same, it's a common issue. I gained 5lbs in 3 weeks of trying a new exercise program, but have since lost it again. It's just water weight. As long as you're logging correctly, just try to look past it. :smile:
  • amdealmeida821
    Options
    The scale numbers can play mind games with us all. Especially doing a strength training routine, you are probably building up some muscle, which weighs more than fat. I'd check your measurements and go by how your clothes feel/ how you feel for a bit without worrying as much about the number :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have started a new strength training routine, still tracking my food closely and staying in all my macros and assuring I have the right level of protein to do the program, lots of water…. blah blah blah….

But I went on the scale for the first time in about 2 weeks and I am up a couple lbs. I know it is an adjustment period but I hate the mind trick that the scale can play on you.

When you begin working out muscle,it retains water. Your weight can go up a couple of pounds as your body retains water to help repair the minor damage you['ve done lifting weights.
  • greymane98
    greymane98 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I added strength training since the first of the year as I had been pure cardio for the 8 months of my diet. I knew I would put on some weight, but was surprised at retaining water after 1 workout. Bothered me enough to research and find out it is common. It went back away after my body adjusted to the weight I was doing though after a week or so. I probably need to be pushing myself more in the weight area, but I'm mostly doing it just because I've seen so many people in the forums harp on cardio only exercise.....I figure some toning is a good thing though. I won't be bulking at this stage of my life :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Every time I've started a new lifting program I've gone up a couple of pounds for a few weeks. The first time it was close to 6 weeks I think before the scale went back down. If it helps, don't weigh yourself during that time period. If you know you're logging accurately and hitting your macros, just trust that and weigh yourself once the initial water retention goes away.
  • davesnow77
    davesnow77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this too, many times over many years. I'd start working out in order to lose weight and the first thing that would happen is I would GAIN 2-3 lbs. It really bothered me at first but after going through this cycle a few times, I've come to expect it. If you stick w/ it, it turns around eventually. Depends somewhat on how fast you put on muscle too. Your weight loss may slow technically, but your fat loss may be (probably is) up. Just another trick our bodies play on us when it comes to food, fat & fitness! Don't let it bum you out. Just stay consistent and it'll come around!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    thanks, I know this but it doesn't stop the frustration. I am not new to strength training, I have been doing it for a year. Just a new program, but I will add back in my metabolics which really helps me burn and tone along with my strength training.

When I was so close to meeting a threshold I never thought I would see and then to now be further away was just a bit frustrating.