is eating red meat bad when your trying to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• cbc937
    cbc937 Posts: 15
    Options
    I eat red meat religiously. Anyone who says its bad while cutting weight does not understand science. Stick to lean cut meats and the timing is also important.

Eating red meat as your last meal of the day unless its 2 hours before sleep can be bad, because the fats actually slow your metabolism. Can also be pro-active after a workout because of the latter.

Other than that eating meat is great, Lean Turkey, Lean steak, Lean Ground Chicken, Lean beef and when I see lean I dont mean 99% fat free lean I mean anything in the 90% range. 80% is to fat, however you could try to cook it, then wash it under water to wash away the grease and get the cheap stuff into the 90%s range, however I dont know the "truth" behind that.

Aslong as your macro's hit meat is fine, however dont rely it to be the only source of fats. Also, you CAN eat it every day. I have clients eat it every day when they are prepping for shows ( including my diet I eat it every day ).
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    after reading these posts i feel better about this. she has also complained about having low iron and isnt taking anything for it. i thought red meats helped with that. and you dont have to have red meat in your pasta. but pasta in itself just as your main dish is not healthy.
    Sure it is. I eat a meatless pasta meal once a week. You just have to pat attention to your portions for calories and make up your protein at other meals throughout the day.
    I eat red meat religiously. Anyone who says its bad while cutting weight does not understand science. Stick to lean cut meats and the timing is also important.

Eating red meat as your last meal of the day unless its 2 hours before sleep can be bad, because the fats actually slow your metabolism. Can also be pro-active after a workout because of the latter.

Other than that eating meat is great, Lean Turkey, Lean steak, Lean Ground Chicken, Lean beef and when I see lean I dont mean 99% fat free lean I mean anything in the 90% range. 80% is to fat, however you could try to cook it, then wash it under water to wash away the grease and get the cheap stuff into the 90%s range, however I dont know the "truth" behind that.

Aslong as your macro's hit meat is fine, however dont rely it to be the only source of fats. Also, you CAN eat it every day. I have clients eat it every day when they are prepping for shows ( including my diet I eat it every day ).
    False. Meal timing is irrelevant to metabolism.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    she would eat red meat on a regular basis before. and ever since she started her "diet" she has said she has had a craving for a burger. im just trying to explain to her how red meat isnt just the problem. its learning how to eat the way we do in a more healthier way.

Have a burger then. How long are you going to carry on punishing yourself?
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Is your sister weighing and measuring what she's eating? She can, of course, eat whatever she wants, but if the goal is to lose weight, I believe a nice piece of lean steak (3 or 4 oz) and some vegetables, even a small potato, would be much more satisfying than the same calorie count in pasta.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I would urge you to seriously investigate ethical concerns for meat, but as far as losing weight and promoting health goes it can easily fit in to a healthy plan. Just count the calories and make sure you don't over-consume on meat or anything else.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt at all.
    Meat has essential complex vitamins we cannot assimilate as well in any other form.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I would urge you to seriously investigate ethical concerns for meat, but as far as losing weight and promoting health goes it can easily fit in to a healthy plan. Just count the calories and make sure you don't over-consume on meat or anything else.

Done.....yep, still love steak. :smile:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    my sister and i are trying to lose weight. and she says she does not want to include any red meat at all in her diet. her dinner tonight was pasta and sauce with no meat. we are both exercising a lot. hour plus a day. i just want to see what people think of her choice and how i can encourage her to eat a little better.

I have steak and eggs for breakfast about 50% of the time, rarely a day goes by when I don't eat red meat. I think my ticker speaks for its self.

Rigger
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    my sister and i are trying to lose weight. and she says she does not want to include any red meat at all in her diet. her dinner tonight was pasta and sauce with no meat. we are both exercising a lot. hour plus a day. i just want to see what people think of her choice and how i can encourage her to eat a little better.

I would encourage her to eat more protein, but if she doesn't want to eat red meat I don't see that as any big deal. She could add shredded or ground chicken or turkey or crumbled tofu to the pasta sauce. If she wants a burger she could use ground turkey, chicken, tuna or salmon, or make a black bean or tofu burger.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I love red meat, just watch your portion control (spouse has an issue with this).

We ordered 1/4 cow from a rancher, he had is butchered and portioned out for us.

The difference in size between the steak we would get from the grocery store and the size from the ranch are very different. The ranch steak was a lot smaller.

but that meat is soo delicious and tender.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I have done so and I still eat all kinds of meat. Am I more aware of where I get it? Yep, but I am not going to stop eating it just because the thing has to die for me.

And I would stab someone if they tried to take away my red meat. Had a steak 2 nights ago. Steak, eggs, and hashbrowns to be exact. This was after 3 days of simply CRAVING red meat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am an avid hunter and my choice of lean red meat is venison. It only has 18% of calories from fat. I have it at least three times a week. I feel weak without it.

And it's much tastier than beef IMO.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I love me a steak ! YUMMMY
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'd skip red meat entirely
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Insightful....
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Insightful....

Especially considering they had "for weight loss and health benefits" tacked on there but edited it out.

Honestly I don't really eat red meat but I'm not going to tell you not to. Making foods off-limits entirely just makes you want them more.