p90x3 The Challenge

Options
This is the most frustrating workout ever! I can only do one or two of each pull up, so I'm just standing there waiting for them to go to push ups. It's only the first week, but I don't see how I'm going to improve my pull ups when I can barely do two. Should I replace this workout with another P90X3 one so I'm not standing there for 15 mins of the 30?

Replies

• larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi....so funny I'm about to do The Challenge for the first time tomorrow. The best answer would be negative pull ups. Basically
    jump up or use a stable object to get your chin above the bar....then hold as if you are at the top of your pull up as long
    as you can...and sloooowly lower yourself to the ground. Google negative pull ups if I've confused you.
    4 months ago....I could do zero pull ups. Fresh....now 20(wahoo!). For me the answer was negative pull ups !! Good Luck :happy:
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with P90X, so I switched out and started using a resistance band to do pull-downs to build up my muscles to help me progress to doing pull-ups. My band set came with a door hanger, though you can loop it over the pull-up bar as well. Its really quite effective, and I found it also made my shoulders adapt to a lot of other moves as well.
  • dalekhunter
    dalekhunter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much, I'll try the negatives until I can get the bands.
  • josephbyun
    Options
    Hi, I finished the original P90X, Body Beast, and now I am doing P90X3 at the moment.
    I felt the same way when I first started P90X.
    My maximum pull ups was 2, mostly just one then got exhausted.
    The point is just keep trying. Also modified versions (using the band or a chair) are definitely a good option too.
    Do not just stand when they are doing and you are not. Try to do an extra one even if you can't.

After going through the whole P90X, on my first "The Challenge" workout, I was able to do 55 pull ups and trust me, it was not easy but I definitely saw improvements.

I am sure everybody can do it too.

Good luck!
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The Challenge is really a challenge, but stick with it :)

I also suggest doing "negative" pull-ups. I use a chair and one leg to boost over the bar, then I take my foot off the chair and use my full body weight to lower myself down. At first you will drop down fast, but you will quickly see that you can lower yourself slower and slower and slower - thus you are getting stronger. You will get an amazing back workout and you will get stronger each time. Maybe throw in a couple pull-ups on the other days of the week to practice.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X as well and it's my 2nd week. I do the pull ups when I can but I use the resistance band most of the time, looped around the bar. It works really well. I loop it a little more each time to get myself better and stronger. I am loving it!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Also endorsing negative pull ups.
  • dalekhunter
    dalekhunter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I will start doing the negative pullups and hopefully in a few weeks I can say that I can do more than one or two pullups!
  • RichardGunner
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! But one more question; what might seem better and more effective, a negative pullup or a looped resistance band?
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The Challenge is really a challenge, but stick with it :)

I also suggest doing "negative" pull-ups. I use a chair and one leg to boost over the bar, then I take my foot off the chair and use my full body weight to lower myself down. At first you will drop down fast, but you will quickly see that you can lower yourself slower and slower and slower - thus you are getting stronger. You will get an amazing back workout and you will get stronger each time. Maybe throw in a couple pull-ups on the other days of the week to practice.

^^
    THIS!

Negative pull ups are the way to go. Use a chair to get your chin above the bar and gradually lower yourself. OUR, there are specially design bands that assist you in pull ups. The bands give you the impression you do not weigh as much and thus do not need as much muscle strength to do a full pull up. Eventually you will be able to do pull ups without assistance, if you are determined enough to stick with it.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this for ideas! :)
  • rlhbarnes79
    Options
    I think all these suggestions are good. I am through the first three months of p90x3 and I cannot do a pull up to save my life yet, mainly because I have too much weight still on my body, but I know my muscles are building. I use the resistance bands on my door. The video shows that modification, but sometimes it is after the reps so you have to backtrack. I think for my next 3 months I am going to move to doing either assisted pull ups or using a chair. I see others doing that on the p90x3 videos too. Good luck and don't give up!