Gym Classes: Do you count the warming up/cooling down?

Options
Hello...I know this is probably a rather basic question, but I was wondering whether you should count the time spent warming up/cooling down/stretching.

Basically I go to the gym for a number of classes. Let us take aerobics. The class is 55min. But the first 5 minutes are warming up and the last 5 minutes are stretching/cooling down. Should I put into MFP 55 or 45 minutes? I generally put in 50minutes (don't count the stretching/cooling down) but was thinking about it today and was not sure what I should do. I am also interested in what others too.

Replies

• htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to choose what you want to do and be consistant. I think consistancy what you are looking for. Personnaly I track time spent doing excersice which includes both the warm up and cool down. This is time you are spending doing excersice. The calorie counting isn't an exact science so get close and as mentioned try to be consistant. After a month look at your trend and adjust from there.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and hit start at the warmup and stop after the final cool down song. I stretch for a while after because I really want to learn how to do the splits.

Anyway...yes I count the warm up and cool down. If you get a heart rate monitor your numbers will be more accurate for you.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar RS300X HRM and I hit start when I start my warm up, and hit stop after my last cool down stretch. Like mentioned before, be consistant with whatever you do. It's really up to you. Technically are burning extra calories during those times, but generally the are negligible.