Eating Clean and working out yet gaining weight?

Options
Hello Fellow Fitness Pal Members,

I was just curious how possibly I could be gaining weight while eating clean and working out? *disclaimer, I have been recently only working out and eating clean since the last week of Dec 2013, so i am not expecting dramatic weight loss, but i'd figure i would see I would loose a pound or two.

So recently i weighted myself i'm 5'1 126 lbs and so i lost two lbs 124 then all of a sudden im now 128? I mean I am weighing myself in the morning. I feel like it's a dramatic difference. I just feel fat. I dont feel energized or anything. By all means , i am not giving, up. I just would like to know ladies, what plans do you do and what has helped you not to feel so discouraged.

Thanks,
Jessii

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well, for one thing, you didn't mention how many calories you are eating. just because you are eating "clean" doesn't mean you don't need to know how many calories you are eating. Be sure you are at a deficit.

Also, it's only been three weeks, and if you didn't work out before, you can gain weight when you first start working out (working out "stresses" the body, which increases cortisol levels, which causes water retention). Double check your calories, and if those are good, just keep doing what you're doing and see how it goes.

ETA: And just saw that you initially lost two pounds, and then it jumped up. It could be water weight in general as weight can fluctuate by 5lbs on any given day. Just give it time and realize that weight loss won't be linear.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Eating clean does not negate the need for a calorie deficit.
  • kminjee
    kminjee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that was helpful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The key to weight loss is creating a deficit.
    Start here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

KEEP eating healthy foods, by all means! But know how much to eat to fuel your body.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Is it that time of month (i bloat and retain water then, can make a difference of 1-2 lbs on scale). Eating clean is excellent and a huge step, but you need to make sure you are eating the right amount of calories for you. Its important to not eat to many, but its just as important to not eat to few calories.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Eating clean does not negate the need for a calorie deficit.

This.

Are you logging every single thing you eat and drink?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what kinds of food you're eating and how much exercise you're doing, if you're eating too many calories. Weight loss is about calories, calories, calories.
  • tonyalenore
    tonyalenore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 lbs for a couple days before my period, and a sudden 4 pound gain is probably not all fat, probably mostly water weight.

Also you still need to watch calories when eating clean, you will gain with excess calories eating clean or unclean.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How do you define eating clean? How many calories?