Is losing 70lbs in a year possible?

Options
124»

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt listen to any of the above posts. No disrespect.

There is no point trying to set a bar really high for such a sustained period of time. You can easily get bored of the harsh routines that you will have to impose on yourself, the food you eat, and will most likely get frustrated from a more radical than average weight loss target.

All relevant factors.

Why not just try and lose 0.5-1lb per week?

I have to disagree. No disrespect.

If you set the bar too low, you can easily get frustrated with the lack of results and give up. At .5 a week, it'd take 2.7 years to lose 70 lbs. Not at all reasonable IMO.

Why not aim to lose 1.5 to 2 lbs a week for the first 50 lbs and then then slow it down to .5 - 1 lb. a week when you get within 20 lbs. of your goal? You'd lose the 70 in a year with this method and see results in a timely manner to encourage you and keep you on course.

Please explain on how 0.5-1lb is too low give that most people become grateful for any weight loss. 70lbs is a around 5-6 stone. That is a hugely significant amount. Losing that amount of weight is a marathon, not a sprint.

Rushing to get rid of that is just unhealthy, involves serious amount of undereating and is just unnecessary. It is also unrealistic to try to lose 2lb a week given the eating habits that a such a person would have had prior.

So what if it takes 2.5 years? I would rather lose it slowly than die trying.

I don't know about all that. I've lost 60 pounds so far this year, and it's actually been pretty pleasant. I exercise moderately and have eaten around 1700 calories a day this entire time. That averages out to about 5lbs a month. I'm definitely not undereating, and I definitely haven't died trying. Perfectly reasonable and not unhealthy at all.

70 pounds in a year might be a little harder, especially with a goal weight of 130. I agree that the OP should be careful about setting specific time limits and should be prepared for the fact that it may take more than a year to get to goal, but I think it's totally do-able to lose a large part of that 70 pounds in a year's time. There's no reason why it should need to take 2.5 years.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That's my goal! I've got 10 days to get there, and as you can see from my ticker I'm really close. I did it a really healthy way too. I made good food choices. I ate fruits and vegetables and lean proteins and whole grains. I work out 6 days a week, and vary my workouts (run, strength train, Zumba, Pilates, cardio cross-train). January I lost 5 pounds then started gaining it back, so I hired a trainer and started working out with him in February. After that I got serious. I haven't always been perfect, but for the most part I've stayed pretty focused.

Edit to say that 70 pounds isn't my final goal, but my 2013 goal is to lose 70 pounds.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    absolutely. lot of people on mfp have done it and posted their results...before and after pics. you can do it.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My aim for the next year is around 88lb. And I have more than that to lose after that. I think it is possible to have a dream, a direction to move toward, while living each day at a time.

I heard someone say recently that fat people think eating well 99% of the time is really good, while fit people think 99% is bad....

I know we all need different things at different times, and my weight has been up and down twice over a 33lb range in the last 2 years. But when I heard that ... for me ... at this time ... it was perfect. You can;t be 99% pregnant. You can't be 99% faithful. And I can't be 99% eating well.

I have several food intolerances, and some other health issues, so my first step was simply to eat clean.. no matter how many calories, but to get int the routine of eating what was ok for my body 100% of the time. So 4 weeks before Christmas I took that in.. And, 3 interstate trips, for conferences and trainings in hotels serving all manner of treats and crap, 2 Christmas parties, and a couple of special nights out, and 4 weeks later, I am proud to say I have eaten clean. No gluten, no sugar, (ie no cakes, normal bread, sweets, chocolates, mochas, hot chocolates etc) and I am 11lb lighter (not in diary yet), with much more energy. ..

After Christmas I will step up my exercise just a little so as not to generate stress hormones which contribute to fat building, and once that is in place, I will tighten up the micronutrients and calories. I am aiming for 88lb los this year.. I am, for the first time, also aiming for 100% comitment to eating life giving foods... while giving myself leeway on calories, So when I want to indulge, I will indulge in more healthy food, like organic cacao and almond milk (instead of sugar filled drinking chocolate)

So, 70 lb.. good luck. Athletes make 100% comitment to their diets, think like an athlete, and enjoy the ride.. good luck.
  • jtfsid
    jtfsid Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes you can if you change your live style. Don't think I am going on a diet, you have to change. Diet are ONLY short changes. Life style change is forever...

I lost 85 in 6 months so you can do it if you work hard...
  • MrsCarpenter719
    MrsCarpenter719 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes it totally is. I lost 60-65 lbs in 6 months! I was 245 and right now im at 180!!! I ran, did weights and ate healthy and logged calories! Take a look at my pictures! Or add me :)
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone I'm just starting my ultimate weight loss goal of losing 70lbs by the end of 2014. Do you think its possible to lose that much weight in a year? I'm 22 years old 5"6 and weigh 200lbs. I would like to get to my goal weight of 130lbs. And I am calling out to all weight loss buddies who are also on this journey of losing 70lbs+ by the end of 2014 to join me.!!! ^_^

I was just wondering how the OP is actually doing with her lofty goal? Looks to me like she hasn't even logged on in over two weeks.
  • rhoucheille
    Options
    Sure. They said 1.5 lbs per week is healthy so do the math. But if I were you I will not set such limits to myself. I will use it as a motivation instead, to push yourself (not too hard though). And always remember that DIET is not just about losing weight and seeing your numbers going down but its a lifestyle change. Take your time and enjoy the journey!

SW: 180 lbs - November 1, 2013
    CW: 154 lbs - January 15, 2014
    GW: 135 lbs - Working my best to reach this goal by eating healthy, food portion and exercise.

Determination is the KEY to success.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    it's possible, but why the rush? Start today, and tomorrow is a new day
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    a goal weight is fine, just take it one day at a time and when you get there, you get there
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    YES!!! i am just about to hit my one year mark and i have lost 92lbs... i excercise daily for 30 min and watch my diet...
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    losing 6 pounds every months seems pretty possible.
  • rachael726
    rachael726 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think it is def. possible. I lost around 74ish my first year. It's all about how much work and effort you put into it. I had to often remind myself that it wasnt about how long it took me to get my goal. It was about the entire journey and how I was literally changing myself for the better.
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sure. They said 1.5 lbs per week is healthy so do the math. But if I were you I will not set such limits to myself. I will use it as a motivation instead, to push yourself (not too hard though). And always remember that DIET is not just about losing weight and seeing your numbers going down but its a lifestyle change. Take your time and enjoy the journey!

SW: 180 lbs - November 1, 2013
    CW: 154 lbs - January 15, 2014
    GW: 135 lbs - Working my best to reach this goal by eating healthy, food portion and exercise.

Determination is the KEY to success.

hold up you lost 26 in 2 and a half months? how?
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    you can lose 100 lbs easy
    52471784.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter