OMG please help me.

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That cut and muscular look is due to leanness, you don't want to be cut then watch your bodyfat %. Lift, it does a body good.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I showed this picture to someone and it may interest you. Even fitness models look very different when they aren't preparing to compete or model. They have more muscle definition during competition times because they have cut body fat and tanned specifically to reveal that muscle definition. Most of the time, they look healthy but not nearly as muscular.

You won't get that look by accident, even with heavy lifting. Even if you did, it certainly doesn't stay that way without hard hard work. All you'd have to do is scale back on progressive weight training.

MAY+2013+COMP_12+weeks+out+to+comp+day_side.jpg

^this.

I wish more people realized this.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Someone's probably already said this but if you are a woman, you cannot possibly get big and bulky like men. (Unless you take some steroids) You do not have the testosterone to build big bulky muscles.

Weight lifting for women is essential for things like building bone mass (and avoiding osteoporosis later in life).

YES! :) No osteoporosis for me!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    You won't explode into some muscle machine just from lifting heavy.

Lift heavy, eat right. Repeat & continue.

troof.

check this thread out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

then join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12919-girls-who-lift-the-guys-who-spot-them

read, learn, lift, read, learn, lift.

Quote for troof.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A lot of programs will work but only if you stick with them. For instance C25K (or StrongLifts, or Jillian Michaels etc) works for a lot of people but not if you keep switching back and forth and starting over. Find something that looks interesting and doable to you and just do it. And give it time to work.
  • Purplevelvetww
    Options
    Total confirmation, without the testosterone levels of a man, you can't overdo the muscle look without steroids and some damned hard work that most of us haven't got time for. Strength training for women on the other hand, is not discussed enough. It has so many benefits for us which are preventative of serious aging illnesses like weak bones etc. as well as being healthy day to day.
    Try this page for some helpful information x x http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1736
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    OP, why don't you show us what you do want to look like and what you don't.

Also, this:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try out various things. Even go out and try squash, swimming, rowing, skiing, etc. you never know what you might enjoy.

When you find something that puts a huge grin on your face, while keeping you active, that's the exercise you should do.

Life is far too short to do something you don't enjoy.

Great advice :-)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Girls with big muscles have to work really, really, really hard to get that way. You can look in the mirror each day and decide if your muscles are big enough to stop yet.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Someone's probably already said this but if you are a woman, you cannot possibly get big and bulky like men. (Unless you take some steroids) You do not have the testosterone to build big bulky muscles.

Weight lifting for women is essential for things like building bone mass (and avoiding osteoporosis later in life).
    Which lends itself to an interesting question for me then...

As a woman with PCOS, my tests showed that I have two and a half times the typical testosterone level for women. Does this increase the likelihood of me bulking up if I lift weights?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    <--- lifts weights and not nearly as muscular as I'd like to be. I don't think I look muscular at all, actually.

Those girls on the Jillian Michaels DVDs likely didn't get bodies like that by just doing Jillian workouts. :wink:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

As a woman with PCOS, my tests showed that I have two and a half times the typical testosterone level for women. Does this increase the likelihood of me bulking up if I lift weights?

Even IF you do bulk faster than normal... it still doesn't happen overnight. Watch your progress in the mirror and stop when you get happy with where you are.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    wanted to add another thread by inspirational friend of mine: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/971636-my-story-of-sweet-revenge-pics
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    <--- lifts weights and not nearly as muscular as I'd like to be. I don't think I look muscular at all, actually.

Those girls on the Jillian Michaels DVDs likely didn't get bodies like that by just doing Jillian workouts. :wink:

Your body looks awesome :) Not super muscular, just in really great shape!
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You won't explode into some muscle machine just from lifting heavy.

Lift heavy, eat right. Repeat & continue.

I agree with this guy. It is 90% diet this whole losing weight thing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I doubt it since men have like 20 times the amount a woman has.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    I don't want to look like this:

Jamie+Eason+2.jpg

That's what I thought--you don't want a very defined look, so you're looking at Jamie in a cut.

This is her other times:
    jamie-eason-big4.jpg
    jamie-eason-big2.jpg
    jamiematblog1.bmp

It really is about body fat percentage, not getting too muscular.

Ok yea I see what you're saying...Well how do I start this? Can I lift heavy at home? I hate lifting at the gym with those creep men that stare.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

good call! that thread is fantastic!

i miss him too, buddy. *sigh*

one more from another badass pal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1090814-one-year-can-change-your-life-pic-heavy

and here's her blog entry breaking it all down: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fivethreeone/view/how-did-i-workout-570888
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!