What am I doing wrong?!

Options
Ok, I'm not new to MFP by any means, however, I am new to forums. I need advice and I know this is the best place to get it!!

Sooo..here we go.

I am new to toning, strength training and using weights. I have been watching my calories and making sure I have been eating clean. I have added more protein to my diet and I have started using Kettlebells (for about 3 weeks/15lbs) I have seen no change in the scales! None...not even a budge. Am I doing something wrong?! Has it been enough time to see a change? It's a little discouraging but of course I want to push through it..

If it helps, I'm eating 1200 calories a day. Is that too little in order to get lean and build muscle? Any advice will help, I'm very much in the dreaded "skinny fat" stage right now. I dislike that term, but it seems to fit! :frown:

Replies

• Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What you're doing wrong is you're using the word toning.

I kid, I kid.

3 weeks is not that long, especially if you don't have a lot to lose and you just want to see changes in your body more than anything else. You don't *need* to eat clean, but if that does it for you... by all means, have fun.

I think you will probably need to up your calories just a bit. Increasing your protein was a good choice.

http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/weight-loss-calculator.php

Use that link. Put in your stats. Be honest about how often you work out.

Pick option 1, 2, or 3. It will likely instruct you to eat more than 1200 calories. As such, you weight might temporarily go up as your body adjusts to taking in more calories.

As for your work out, Kettlebells are fine, just make sure you're increasing the weight once a week or whatever you're comfortable with so that you're building strength.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lift more, and wear perfume and makeup to the gym.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I am just starting out as well.

I would check some books out at the library regarding weight lifting and strength training.

A lot of discussions and forums on here talk about the benefits of strength training.

One of the things they stress is that you may not be losing weight, but you may be losing inches.

Take some body measurements and watch your body composition change. There will also not be dramatic changes but over time your body will change and if you keep up the work, look kick *kitten*

I am always going to suggest to people to eat more, your body needs fuel and as long as you are eating healthy, watching portions and logging you should be ok.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I'm eating 1200 calories a day. Is that too little in order to get lean and build muscle? Any advice will help, I'm very much in the dreaded "skinny fat" stage right now. I dislike that term, but it seems to fit! :frown:

Working out and eating 1200 calories is right in the wheel house of skinny fat.. you will remain skinny fat eating that little and working out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Working out and eating 1200 calories is right in the wheel house of skinny fat.. you will remain skinny fat eating that little and working out.

This!^

Unless you are extremely petite ....1200 calories (plus exercise) is not enough to maintain existing muscle.

When you get closer to goal (10-15 pounds) .... a 1/2 pound a week loss would be good progress. You might lower your weekly goal.
  • kscott0612
    kscott0612 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What you're doing wrong is you're using the word toning.

I kid, I kid.

3 weeks is not that long, especially if you don't have a lot to lose and you just want to see changes in your body more than anything else. You don't *need* to eat clean, but if that does it for you... by all means, have fun.

I think you will probably need to up your calories just a bit. Increasing your protein was a good choice.

http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/weight-loss-calculator.php

Use that link. Put in your stats. Be honest about how often you work out.

Pick option 1, 2, or 3. It will likely instruct you to eat more than 1200 calories. As such, you weight might temporarily go up as your body adjusts to taking in more calories.

As for your work out, Kettlebells are fine, just make sure you're increasing the weight once a week or whatever you're comfortable with so that you're building strength.

Thank you so much for the input! I will def try that!
  • kscott0612
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I am going to up my calories for sure. I am 5'3" 130 and I'm working out 5-6 days a week. My goal when I first started here in 2010 was to lose the baby weight of 2 children (c-sections at that.) Now that I've lost the weight I want to focus on being fit not just skinny. So even though I don't know exactly what I'm doing, I am giving it my all to try to get in better shape!
  • kscott0612
    Options

This!^

Unless you are extremely petite ....1200 calories (plus exercise) is not enough to maintain existing muscle.

When you get closer to goal (10-15 pounds) .... a 1/2 pound a week loss would be good progress. You might lower your weekly goal.

Thank you! I just changed my profile settings and it suggests, 1500 a day. I'm going to start there.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Also, use a tape measure not just the scale to see progress - especially if you are starting to add weights to your exercise routines. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but you are still losing inches.