Normal weight for a size 18 Woman.

Options

Replies

• crazylesty07
    Options
    There's no normal weight for anyone. It's all in your body make up and composition/shape, height, etc. Weight fluctuates for everyone...I know all too well. When I started, I was tight in an 18 and weighed 229lbs. A person could have weighed the same as me but may have seemed much smaller and worn smaller sizes due to muscle. Muscle and fat weigh just the same but muscle takes up much less space than fat, hence the reason you're losing inches and not pounds.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I am in a size 18 and weigh around 220. I am only 5'4". Your height, muscle tone and water retention can affect your weight and size. It sounds like you are gaining a lot of muscle and so you are becoming more trim and fit even though the scales are not moving.Your pictures show a lot of progress. Hang in there. The scales will eventually start moving again.

You can't gain muscle on a deficit!!! JS

ChristianWife, Just saying, you are a very rude person.

And before you start saying what I should do, you should probably read through. I do have a digital scale. I do excercise, daily actually.

And its normal to weight almost 300 lbs, and be a size 18? I am losing inches, Im not looking for wise-*kitten*-ery one liners. Im looking for serious answer, Bully.

REALLY confused by who's calling who rude here....

But, anyway, since your question is whether you should weigh almost 300lbs and be a size 18, I guess that depends entirely upon how tall you are and how your body is shaped and where you're shopping. At 5'5", I was usually a size 18 from about 210-230lbs. However, due to my body shape I also found many a pair of size 18 jeans that I could never fit into, and I owned a couple of size L or size 12 dresses that fit great because I have a very small waist and very large behind and they were cut into an empire style.

So, what exactly is it that you want to know? It's going to depend on a lot of things. Looking at your pictures, while you can definitely see a difference between the 2, I think you do look like a size 18 in both, just being perfectly honest.
  • superasianwoman
    Options
    my best friend is going through this RIGHT NOW....her scale is stuck at 282 and she is a size 18, she is SO STRICT on her calorie counting, she measures EVERY THING and working out and is goes up and down the same 4 pounds, I feel so sad for her. Oh and she is tall, 5'10
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would try a different scale and see if maybe your's is broken. The pictures you see a CLEAR difference.

For what it's worth, my scale hasn't budged in months either. But I am seeing a difference in how my clothes fit. And I am 230 pounds and a size 14, I was a 16/18 at this weight not too long ago. The human body is a weird thing. As long as you feel good, you are doing good.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am in a size 18 and weigh around 220. I am only 5'4". Your height, muscle tone and water retention can affect your weight and size. It sounds like you are gaining a lot of muscle and so you are becoming more trim and fit even though the scales are not moving.Your pictures show a lot of progress. Hang in there. The scales will eventually start moving again.

You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
    but not at a calorie deficit.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have been on here since 2011 and I have never seen something so confusing!
    You look like you have lost at least 14lbs, even more so!
    I would change the batteries in your scales or get new ones. You're looking fab and doing great.
    I know it must be disheartening but honestly it's about how you look and feel in your clothes. We are not just a number! :-)
    Keep going!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    my best friend is going through this RIGHT NOW....her scale is stuck at 282 and she is a size 18, she is SO STRICT on her calorie counting, she measures EVERY THING and working out and is goes up and down the same 4 pounds, I feel so sad for her. Oh and she is tall, 5'10

Then she's not eating at a deficit.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I'm no expert, but I believe if you a lot of weight to lose, and lift heavy weights, you can do both at some point.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options

ChristianWife, Just saying, you are a very rude person.

And before you start saying what I should do, you should probably read through. I do have a digital scale. I do excercise, daily actually.

And its normal to weight almost 300 lbs, and be a size 18? I am losing inches, Im not looking for wise-*kitten*-ery one liners. Im looking for serious answer, Bully.

I don't think that she was trying to be a bully. She's trying to point out that, other than newbie gains, it's very difficult to gain muscle if you are in a deficit. Since your weight isn't changing, but your size is changing, that indicates that you're probably eating more than you think you. And in that case, it may be possible that the changes you're seeing are in fact muscle gains. It's just unlikely that you're gaining that much muscle on a deficit.

Make sure that you're weighing and tracking everything accurately. Some of the entries in the database aren't always accurate, so try to use the most accurate ones (the MFP generated ones, rather than user-generated), or go to the USDA website, look things up and create your own entries. If you still don't lose weight, then you may want to see a doctor and/or a nutritionist to make sure that everything is ok.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I think you should try eating a little more. Something between 1,500-1,600 calories, and keep exercising and lifting weights.
    eating just one meal is not a good thing if you exercise everyday.

I was a size 18 at 250. I', 220 and almost a size 14. 16 pants are loose on me, and I'm 5'3, i know it's weird.
    Still it depends on the brand. I'm still a size 18 for some stores/brands.

Agree on eating more. At your weight, 1300 cals is far below your BMR. Check out this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Calculate your BMR and TDEE and you'll be good to go. You might have messed up your metabolism by eating too little and that might account (*might*) for the lack of weight loss on the scale. Although, if you're actually losing inches, scale weight doesn't really matter. Size matters, right? Anyway, look into it and see what you think. It works.

Also, I am 5'4" and I weigh 235-ish and I hover between a size 18 and a size 20, depending on the jeans. It's weird how much it can vary from person to person!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think I understand your confusion. At first to read the stats I thought how could she be a size 18, but I'm guessing you must be pretty tall (cuz it looks like your weight distributes fairly even). I started out 250, size 18-20. I'm 5'7". Now at 202 I'm in size 14 regular (NOT plus, yay!), and I'm also evenly distributed weight-wise. So you just never know.

You look good and have obviously dropped a good amount already. I'm sure the stall-out must be frustrating. Some others have made good suggestions about possibly upping the cals or trying some online calculators for your TDEE. Even at 202 I'm at 1650 on non-exercise days, maybe 1900-2000 on exercise days and I am still consistently losing each week 1-2 lbs. Good luck!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest ever - 307 lb at 5'8" - I wore size 22 jeans and most 2X and 3X tops worked for me.

4 years later I had exercised my little heart out (MILES of walking every week), was in the neighborhood of 270 and I still wore size 22 jeans and 2X and 3X tops!

It took me getting to 250-ish before I could routinely buy size 20.

When I got in the neighborhood of 230, 18 was perfect and 1X tops worked for me.

Now I weigh 199 lb and have 14, 16, and 18 in my closet although the 18s will be on the way out really soon as they're getting baggy. I have noticed just in the last 5-10 lb that my 1X tops are too big and I'm buying XL, which is super weird to me because I can buy them in misses and juniors. Did not expect that this soon.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    For the record, you look great! :D

I think it's probably variable to height. I'm 254 at 5'2", and I can get into some size 18 pants, depending on where they fit. I'm widest in the spare tire area, so size 18s that close at the hips aren't even close -- but ones that fit high on my waist, where I'm much leaner, do.

I expect to be stuck at 20W for a while, lol.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I'm no expert, but I believe if you a lot of weight to lose, and lift heavy weights, you can do both at some point.

Nope. You can lose fat at the deficit, and use weigh training as a way to burn calories, but the muscles you will be seeing are the ones that were there under the fat. Muscle building requires a surplus of calories so there is material to build the muscle from.
  • RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think I understand your confusion. At first to read the stats I thought how could she be a size 18, but I'm guessing you must be pretty tall (cuz it looks like your weight distributes fairly even). I started out 250, size 18-20. I'm 5'7". Now at 202 I'm in size 14 regular (NOT plus, yay!), and I'm also evenly distributed weight-wise. So you just never know.

You look good and have obviously dropped a good amount already. I'm sure the stall-out must be frustrating. Some others have made good suggestions about possibly upping the cals or trying some online calculators for your TDEE. Even at 202 I'm at 1650 on non-exercise days, maybe 1900-2000 on exercise days and I am still consistently losing each week 1-2 lbs. Good luck!

I am 5'3". fairly short.

Is it just possible to have a bigger structure?

As far as the rest of the mentions -- I think I might seek help with a nutritionist -- Because when I started this last year, I was doing almost the same things I am doing now -- and I lost 30 lbs in the first month. And I continued to do it the rest of the year. Just plateaued. So, i think I will continue with what i"m doing and see help with a nutritionist and see what I should tweak and change to help with this change.

Thank you all for your help.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well looking at your picture you know that whatever you are doing is working for you . I would just keep doing what your doing because weather its inches coming off or lbs on the scale going down , Its all good :) Sooner or later that scale will start to move again.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am a size 18 and weigh 233. I'm 5'7" and must say the sizing confuses me. I am 57 years old and when I was 18 years old I weighed 160 and wore a size 16. If I can wear an 18 at 233 I can't imagine what I will wear when I get down to 160! :happy:
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I was a size 18 around 220-230 pounds.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Your height, muscle tone, bone build, etc all determine your pants size, also your body shape. For example, a pear shaped person who keeps morst of their weight in their butt and thighs is going to wear a larger pair of pants than someone with a tendency to keep more weight higher up, such as in their belly, breasts, upper arms. Then there are those who kind of carry it all over, and are neither "top heavy" or "bottom heavy". It all effects the size of clothing. OTher things to consider are that some people like their clothes lose and comfortable, while some almost need a shoe horn to get into their jeans. If you ask one of the people who wear lose and comfy clothes what size they wear, and also ask one of those who seem to enjoy not breathing, even if their bodies are the same size its probably a safe bet that their clothing "size" is at least 2-4 sizes apart.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My concern is that my scale hasn't moved in over 6 months for me. Inches have continued to drop - which is fine. I don't mind that. I'd like to see the scale move too, at some point. I vary 5 lbs give or take for the week. No big deal, as I know it’s probably water retention -- monthly… you know that type of thing. No big deal.

I am a size 18. And I also average weight 285 lbs. (again give or take the 5 lbs) I always eat at a deficit. I manage to keep my calories at or around 1250 -- I work out. I don’t always eat the calories back (because I don’t know for sure how accurate they are. ) And I'm not hungry.

My boyfriend and I joke around that I will be the “heaviest” 280 lbs size 8 around and probably should be contacting Guinness world records. ;) haha. What could it be?

I'm guessing this is a US size 18 ?
    I'm a UK16 and 178lbs and I eat 1700 Dailey and run / weight train 2.5 hours 5x a week

1527000_10151787474412046_928975350_n.jpg