Staying Focused While Travelling

Options
Hello MFP-ers!

I'm heading to a friend's for four much-needed days of R&R. She LOVES to cook, and tends to always have junk food in the house. I've told her I'm committed to losing weight and she's supportive, however, she later said, "Bring the kids because I'm still cooking and there will be tons of food!"

I found out this morning they have an Elliptical Trainer, which is great because I will be able to do my normal workout. However, I am concerned that I will be tempted by all the food and booze around (actually, more the food, I don't drink much anyway). It's been a stressful couple of years, and I haven't had a real vacation in forever, so I don't want to deprive myself. Since this is a life change, I have to let myself "live" from time to time. However, at the same time I don't want to undo the small amount of progress I've had so far.

Here's my plan:
1. Workout every day, a little extra if I can swing it
2. Log my food before I eat it, trying to stay within my goals, but never allowing myself to go more than 300 calories over (so that I am at least maintaining and not gaining**)
3. Select one evening to have a bit of alcohol (if I'm so inclined... might not even bother)
4. When there are snacks out, get out a small bowl and measure an appropriate portion for myself (see #2)
5. Offer to walk the dogs so that I can move a bit more than I normally would
6. They love music, so dancing around the living room any change I get is a must :)

**Does that sound right? I read that somewhere here on MFP that when you're trying to maintain you add about 300 calories to your weight-loss goal.

Any other ideas or thoughts? I'm SO looking forward to this, but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mammamia811
    mammamia811 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sounds great!!! If u want to indulge a little (change your settings to maintain) and it will show you the calories to maintain)..then when you get back..no matter how u feel....start fresh and get back to it...enjoy your vacation!!!
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    sounds great!!! If u want to indulge a little (change your settings to maintain) and it will show you the calories to maintain)..then when you get back..no matter how u feel....start fresh and get back to it...enjoy your vacation!!!

Thanks so much, I hadn't thought of that!
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oooh, and I just thought of one more...

7. Take out my portion of food before she adds butter and other "frivelous" calories, so that I can indulge a bit more in the good stuff!
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's a sound plan. I remember hearing/reading/seeing something at one point regarding indulging and how, even a great indulgence is really a drop in the bucket over the course of a year. So, my advice is follow the plan you laid out for yourself. Great job doing that in the first place, by the way. If by chance you go over your calories don't beat yourself up, just move on. You'll do great!