Commenting on a persons weight loss.

Options
Say someone is losing weight, a lot of weight. Every single day multiple people tell them how much weight they have lost. They say "Wow you look good! Whatever you are doing keep it up."

Then they run into a couple people that haven't seen them since they lost all the weight. They can see them looking up and down and noticing something different, but they never take the time to congratulate the change. Even though multiple other people have done it.

Im just wondering why its so hard for certain people to take the time to congratulate someone on changes that they have made for the better. Does it just come down to the fact that some people just won't ever say nice things to certain people, no matter how many times other people do? To me the attitude these people give off is " No matter how many people notice your weight loss, and no matter how good they say you look, Im not gonna give you the satisfaction of hearing it from me."

Replies

• vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Jealousy or they can't stand the thought that someone they pigeon holed has a fat friend now has to be re-pigeon holed.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ummm... sometimes it has nothing to do with that.

My 5ft tall mother went from 155 lbs to about 105 lbs in a short period of time. She wasn't trying to lose weight. she had liver cancer. :ohwell:

I know that unless I know SPECIFICALLY that someone is working to lose weight, I try not to say anything because I don't want to congratulate someone on a weightloss that has to do with being on chemo for a life-threatening illness. I'm not being jealous or rude to the individual, I'm just being careful.

Perhaps some of the folks who have remained silent about your weight loss have a similar mentality to mine.
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    At Imju5tme

These people know the person is perfectly healthy and has been working out to lose weight. They know that they are not losing weight due to a disease.
  • missbaah
    missbaah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ummm... sometimes it has nothing to do with that.

My 5ft tall mother went from 155 lbs to about 105 lbs in a short period of time. She wasn't trying to lose weight. she had liver cancer. :ohwell:

I know that unless I know SPECIFICALLY that someone is working to lose weight, I try not to say anything because I don't want to congratulate someone on a weightloss that has to do with being on chemo for a life-threatening illness. I'm not being jealous or rude to the individual, I'm just being careful.

Perhaps some of the folks who have remained silent about your weight loss have a similar mentality to mine.

That. I never comment on someone's weight loss unless they bring it up. Not only might it be caused by illness or similar, they might not be comfortable talking about it at all for any number of other reasons.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I would ask them first "Have you lost weight?" then congratulate them or whatever. The ones that don't when they know they're healthy and have been trying to lose weight are probably jealous.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Why would you expect people to comment or congratulate you? I'm not saying it's a bad thing that people do so, I just don't understand why do you believe people should congratulate you. I personally don't like it when people comment about my weight loss... don't like it and don't need it.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Why would you expect people to comment or congratulate you? I'm not saying it's a bad thing that people do so, I just don't understand why do you believe people should congratulate you. I personally don't like it when people comment about my weight loss... don't like it and don't need it.

This.
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    Cause its annoying to think about why people would be jealous enough to not comment on someones weight? How old are we here? 10? I'm not better than anyone but this is how I feel.......... Say a person walks in a room and 9 people say "Wow you look great! You lost a lot of weight."

Then you have that one person who won't even say hi to you. As an adult that behavior comes off as "How dare everyone give him attention and not me!"

Very childish and immature.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Just because you want someone to comment on your weight, doesn't mean someone else wants it too. Commenting on someone's weight is not always well received.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just say "you look great" and keep it moving...
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Cause its annoying to think about why people would be jealous enough to not comment on someones weight? How old are we here? 10? I'm not better than anyone but this is how I feel.......... Say a person walks in a room and 9 people say "Wow you look great! You lost a lot of weight."

Then you have that one person who won't even say hi to you. As an adult that behavior comes off as "How dare everyone give him attention and not me!"

that is an oddly specific circumstance, and the fact that they dont even say hi to you is the weird part. not the lack of congratualting you on your weight loss
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Because I am socially awkward and afraid whatever I say may sound weird as hell, but I am proud of everyone, no jealousy here! :flowerforyou:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Based on this post alone, I'm going to peg you at around 5.
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    These people are not strangers. They have known me for years. Not close family or friends but they still know me very well.

I for one was always raised to be happy for others if you notice positive changes in them. If someone I knew ran into me and I had heard they lost a lot of weight, when I saw them I would comment on it. No problems and I would greet them with a smile.

Maybe the people that are not commenting are just not happy with themselves.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Get over it man. Not everyone is going to say something about weight loss or a new haircut or a new car or whatever it is that we are all proud of about ourselves. That doesn't automatically make them childish or immature. Isn't it enough that you've worked hard and lost the weight?? Or do you really need validation from every person in your life to feel good about something that you deserve to be proud of regardless of whether anyone says something or not?
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    So basically if 9 out of 10 people are happy for someone, but then that 1 person won't even say nice job, then that is mature behavior on their part? Treat others the way you want to be treated. And they wonder why they are miserable.
  • sabianhunter
    sabianhunter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the people and your history ---

When I visited my inlaws at Christmas I figured that someone would notice or mention my weight loss... not a word. They are all much bigger than me and while I get that congratulating the 'skinny girl' on losing ten lbs isn't high on their list of priorities, it's happened in the past when I DIDN'T lose any weight, so it smarted a bit when I have in fact been working my butt off and not one of them mentioned 'hey you look good.' I have to just chalk it up to a bit of envy and go on. I'm not doing it for them or their praise, so i'll get over it. :D
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Not everyone thinks the world should revolve around them.....
  • runitskat
    Options
    Maybe they just don't care.