Commenting on a persons weight loss.

Options

Replies

• JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Coming from a person that posts pictures of their muscles on My fitness pal and calls themselves Phoenix Warrior.

Shouldn't you be complimenting her on her muscles?

I was just being smart with her. She does look good ! :)

*Whirr Whirr Whirrr*..................The sound of backpedaling:laugh: :laugh:
  • stephenryan758
    stephenryan758 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Because of this..........

I was raised to always be happy for others if I notice them doing positive things. If I see a person make changes in their life for the better, I tell them about it and say Its really nice. I was raised to treat others the way you want to be treated.

The only reasonable explanation that people would not say anything who know you and know you are proud of your accomplishments , is childish behavior. Im not better than anyone else so why would they be jealous of my weight loss? What in the world?

Some people just can't ever be happy for anyone. That is true.

And this is why people/kids have a complex when they don't win or don't get a ribbon when they "participate" in something. Everyone wants to be congratulated for EVERYTHING! It is nice to have recognition now and again, but I am sorry, you shouldn't need it from every person you see. Be your own cheerleader. You will find life to be much easier and much more pleasant that way.

I'm not talking about strangers. Im talking about the people that have known you your entire life.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    more importantly, caring that much for someone's opinion, are you still in highschool?

I lost a bunch of weight and i'd prefer people not to bring it up, i don't ever bring it up, i did it for myself, not for acknowledgement of random people.

you sound super bitter.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I was raised to always be happy for others if I notice them doing positive things. If I see a person make changes in their life for the better, I tell them about it and say Its really nice. I was raised to treat others the way you want to be treated.

The only reasonable explanation that people would not say anything who know you and know you are proud of your accomplishments , is childish behavior. Im not better than anyone else so why would they be jealous of my weight loss? What in the world?

And this is why people/kids have a complex when they don't win or don't get a ribbon when they "participate" in something. Everyone wants to be congratulated for EVERYTHING! It is nice to have recognition now and again, but I am sorry, you shouldn't need it from every person you see. Be your own cheerleader. You will find life to be much easier and much more pleasant that way.

You said a mouthful right there! I'm going to be more mindful of that in rearing my kiddies. Carry on.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I'm not talking about strangers. Im talking about the people that have known you your entire life.

Who cares! Again be your own cheerleader. You will find life to be much easier and much more pleasant that way.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Hhahaha. You've known the people you work with your entire life? Crazy
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I will admit the people that are not saying anything are the ones that always thought they were better than others. If you heard the stuff they said about people I can only imagine the things they said about me when I went from skinny to fat. Now Im not fat anymore so they are probably really upset their fat jokes don't make sense about me anymore. Yes it is annoying cause I never did anything to them.

So you're upset that people who act like jerks are acting like jerks?

Why do you care what these people think?

Or did I miss something else?
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    I agree. When people actually say nice things to me about my attempt to lose weight, I feel good but awkward at the same time and then there are people who congratulate you saying - oh how good you look now(implying you were so fat earlier), maybe if you looked like this earlier, you would have a boyfriend today etc. You know these kind of compliments are insulting in a lot of ways implying that you were a fat piece of **** earlier and now that you've lost weight, you're of some value to society.

My point is this, you're doing it for you. And people are noticing, YOU are noticing. No one is obligated to congratulate you.

This is so well said!
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    IMHO- there are people who are so pre-occupied with themselves, they do not notice or take time to wonder what's going on with others. It's just the way they are and don't take it personally :smile:

The people that don't say anything are very rude to others. That's just how they are. So I guess its not rocket science why they are not saying anything.

I bet you're a pleasure to have at parties.

I agree...I would avoid complimenting him too just so I could avoid talking to someone so needy....
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

The only reasonable explanation that people would not say anything who know you and know you are proud of your accomplishments , is childish behavior. Im not better than anyone else so why would they be jealous of my weight loss?
    What in the world?

It would seem the way you want to be treated is to have people talk about you behind your back and call you names. Your behavior is no better than those you seek to excoriate.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Get over it man. Not everyone is going to say something about weight loss or a new haircut or a new car or whatever it is that we are all proud of about ourselves. That doesn't automatically make them childish or immature. Isn't it enough that you've worked hard and lost the weight?? Or do you really need validation from every person in your life to feel good about something that you deserve to be proud of regardless of whether anyone says something or not?

this is really it right here .. if you're doing things solely for the gratification of receiving compliments from every person you know .. well then you're doing it wrong, and you'll probably live a pretty miserable life.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I get comments here and there. But during the holidays this year, it was not getting a comment that struck me the most : an uncle I see maybe once or twice a year commented on another uncle having lost weight (this uncle was never fat, but he did appear thinner than usual, to which he replied having lost about 10 lbs). Meanwhile I was standing right next to them and I have lost over 30 lbs since he last saw me and he didn't say a word to me. I don't have to get comments from everyone, that's not the issue. I just thought it was odd that he would comment on one and not the other.

He should have complimented you.

Thank you for that ;) I agree. It's not the end of the world that he didn't, it was just very strange to be standing right there when he complimented someone else and didn't seem to notice my progress. I'm wondering if it's because I'm still considered fat even though I lost over 30 lbs. Maybe they expect you to fail and gain it all back so it's not worth mentioning? I don't know. I'm determined to get the next 30 lbs off with or without other people complimenting me. It is nice when others recognize how hard you're working though.
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    WELL.... No one actually knows why humans act the way they do. WE humans are so into ourselves that we often think ONLY of ourselves. ME! ME! AND MORE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Its called HUMAN NATURE.

People are rude, mean, nasty, arrogant...... and of the FEW kind hearted people that are still open enough to express their opinion - I would bet most DON'T QUITE KNOW WHAT TO SAY, OR HOW TO PHRASE IT.

AFTERALL.... ITS YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT..... YOU DID IT FOR "YOU".... YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

ITS NOT FOR THEM..... and you know People...... they often have not evolved enough to know that we're all connected, and it would be very neighborly to at least acknowledge your hard work. Its a Christian Extreme to care for others..... and in this Country (lets face it) very few people can tear themselves away from their little Idol tech-toys long enough to say HELLO unless its a text, or tweet, or FB like. Its very sad...... people actually run from TRUE CONVERSATION.

To put it bluntly - TODAYS TOM, **** AND HARRY DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM RICH & FAMOUS, OR GET THEM THEIR PERSONAL 15 MINUTES OF FAME. :sad: :grumble:

PLUS, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DEALING WITH IN THEIR LIVES THAT MAKES THEM SO DISTANT, AND/OR UNINTERESTED IN YOU & YOUR LIFE. THEY COULD BE MURDERERS.... OR THEY COULD BE PLANNING TO DO GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT IN THEIR SPARE TIME. :explode: :devil: IF WE WATCH THE NEWS WE SEE HOW SICK AND DEMENTED PEOPLE ARE..... ITS GETTING WORSE EVERY DAY! :huh:

I WOULD JUST CELEBRATE THE FACT THEY DIDN'T LOL AT YA...... PEOPLE ARE RUTHLESS. :grumble:

WE ARE LIVING IN THE LAST DAYS...... PEOPLE COULD BE ON DEATHS DOOR AND NOT WANT TO EVEN BREATHE..... LET ALONG GIVE ANYONE A COMPLIMENT.

:ohwell: Its best not to expect anything from people......

YOUR BEST RELATIONSHIP IS TO BUILD ONE WITH GOD AND YOUR FAMILY..... YOU ARE BLESSED IF YOU CAN FIND 2 PEOPLE WHO WILL TREAT YOU AS IF YOU MATTER IN THIS WORLD TODAY.

CELEBRATE YOU, YOUR LIFE, AND YOUR GOOD RELATIONSHIPS. STAY CENTERED IN YOUR BELIEFS (GOD) AND DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU..... BUT BE FORE-WARNED.... PEOPLE ARE UNPREDICTABLE, STRANGE, AND OFTEN ON THE EDGE... SO THEY OFTEN DISAPPOINT PEOPLE..... AND DON'T CARE, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CONSCIENCE.

WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE...... ASK GOD FOR HELP IN BEING THE BEST YOU THAT YOU CAN BE, AND TO SOFTEN THE HEARTS OF OTHERS.

ITS A SIGN OF THE TIMES, BUT GOOD PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE TO SIMPLY ACCEPT POOR BEHAVIORS.

JUST DON'T BE ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE ARE HUMAN..... ITS A LEARNED SKILL.... SOMEBODY TAUGHT THEM, AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I MUST TEACH THEM A BETTER WAY. :flowerforyou:

As long as you & I still believe in being kind, generous, and have the capacity to love and reach out to others.... THEN ALL IS NOT LOST.

:blushing: :laugh: :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :ohwell:

HANG IN THERE! THIS TOO SHALL PASS..... IT CAME TO PASS. I APPLAUD YOU, AND ON THIS JOURNEY WE LEARN TO EXHALE, AND FORGIVE QUICKLY..... DON'T LET IT GET YOU DOWN WHEN PEOPLE ACT NASTY. RISE ABOVE IT! AND YES...... ALWAYS BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    um...wow
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    You know the more I think about it, these people never have said a nice thing about anyone except maybe their husband or parents.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Hhahaha. You've known the people you work with your entire life? Crazy

I know, right? Makes me think that this poster is quite young, really.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You know the more I think about it, these people never have said a nice thing about anyone except maybe their husband or parents.

...did you stop a medication recently?
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Talking about weight - both lost or gained - is ALWAYS hard. You never know how people are going to react.
    If I know someone very well and I know what they've done to lose weight, I'm more than happy to give them my congratulations.
    But at the same time I don't think it's necessary, if we're friends I don't need to tell you that you're good looking because if we're friends you've already got my approval as a person, and weight doesn't define you.
    Some people would feel like they weren't good enough before losing weight, and they'd take the compliments as an implicit assumption that you value them more now than before.
    I actually appreciate when people compliment my weightloss, but most of the time I feel like they're making fun of me.

Anyway, I wonder why 9 people out of 10 in a room should actually tell you about that. Is it something that HAS to be said to be true or valuable? I think it's the kind of thing that a couple of people might actually say, not everyone.
  • stephenryan758
    Options
    I get comments here and there. But during the holidays this year, it was not getting a comment that struck me the most : an uncle I see maybe once or twice a year commented on another uncle having lost weight (this uncle was never fat, but he did appear thinner than usual, to which he replied having lost about 10 lbs). Meanwhile I was standing right next to them and I have lost over 30 lbs since he last saw me and he didn't say a word to me. I don't have to get comments from everyone, that's not the issue. I just thought it was odd that he would comment on one and not the other.

He should have complimented you.

Thank you for that ;) I agree. It's not the end of the world that he didn't, it was just very strange to be standing right there when he complimented someone else and didn't seem to notice my progress. I'm wondering if it's because I'm still considered fat even though I lost over 30 lbs. Maybe they expect you to fail and gain it all back so it's not worth mentioning? I don't know. I'm determined to get the next 30 lbs off with or without other people complimenting me. It is nice when others recognize how hard you're working though.

No you are not considered fat. More than likely since you are not fat anymore he feels that he can't comment on that. So he instead keeps quiet. If you notice in life most people want you to fail. If you do something good, more times than not they won't say anything. If we lived in a perfect world people would tell you good things about yourself.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    this is so embarrassing to read. I didn't know people like this existed.