Canadian Food Court Food

Options
Now that I'm tracking my food intake, I'm finding it very hard to find reasonable food to eat when I forget my lunch or want to treat myself. I have a million food courts around my work, so my options are pretty limitless.

Even places like Freshii that focus on fresh foods and salads seems to be off the charts for certain things (usually carbs and/or sodium).

I found a pretty decent bowl from Cultures that wasn't too high in anything, but it wasn't overly exciting. Some Subway subs seem to be ok, but usually are a bit high in sodium.

Does anyone have any good low(ish) cal/fat/sodium/carb options that you've found for Canadian food court/fast food places?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    poutine
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Moose Knuckles
  • mattbell007
    mattbell007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There's no way poutine is low-calorie. It's way too delicious.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Subway chopped chicken salad, double meat, with balsamic vinegar. I always have them place it in two bowls and make two meals out of it :) good balance of protein, carbs, and fat. Also I get it without cheese.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sodium aren't the devil.

Work it into your day.
    Drink more water if the sodium bothers you - I believe potassium also has an affect?
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this in a snotty way at all, but is there a reason you can't pack your own lunch instead of going to the food court? That way you know EXACTLY what you're eating, and you can make it as tasty as you like!

And if you can't do that, places like Sobey's, etc have salad bars with boiled eggs and nuts and other good stuff like that. Maybe Pita Pit?

EDIT: I'm a moron who can't read. :blushing:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm tracking my food intake, I'm finding it very hard to find reasonable food to eat when I forget my lunch or want to treat myself. I have a million food courts around my work, so my options are pretty limitless.

Even places like Freshii that focus on fresh foods and salads seems to be off the charts for certain things (usually carbs and/or sodium).

I found a pretty decent bowl from Cultures that wasn't too high in anything, but it wasn't overly exciting. Some Subway subs seem to be ok, but usually are a bit high in sodium.

Does anyone have any good low(ish) cal/fat/sodium/carb options that you've found for Canadian food court/fast food places?

Is there a reason you need to avoid carbs or sodium? Otherwise, just eat a healthy balance of them. Get a meal you'll enjoy and adjust the rest of your day's intake to fit it in.
  • Tamdudette
    Tamdudette Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If there's a swiss chalet near you, a quarter chicken - no skin and a salad with dressing is only about 250 calories... you can find the exact calculation on their website. Most fast-food chains have nutrition posted, I just browse for something low in calories and choose that :)
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    With fast food, you are always going to run into issues with sodium. It's going to be very hard to avoid. If you're looking for yummy and (relatively) low in calories, I usually try to stick to:

IQ Foods (TD Bank Tower). I love the Lima Box (I get it without avocado - I love avocado, just don't think it works with this box) and the Sparta is good too.

Teriyaki Experience - the chicken meal with soba noodles is yummy.

Freshii - I like the Buffalo Chicken salad.

There's Kumfert & Kim in 1st Canadian.

Four (in Commerce Court) - everything there is under 600 calories.

There's sushi pretty much in every food court - you can find a decent meal that's not too bad.

Swiss Chalet can be good - chicken and veggies or salad.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    you should only worry about sodium if you are consistently way over and/or have a medical condition where tracking it is beneficial.

otherwise going over occasionally on sodium is not really a big deal or something to worry about.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    you should only worry about sodium if you are consistently way over and/or have a medical condition where tracking it is beneficial.

otherwise going over occasionally on sodium is not really a big deal or something to worry about.

This and also the same thing for Fat and carbs, just worry about staying in calories
  • Retinyl
    Options
    I have high blood pressure, so I need to watch my sodium intake. Salt is my weakness too, so I'm trying to cut back as much as possible in the hopes that the cravings subside. Carbs, I don't care much about (other than sugar), but some of the items on the Freshii menu had my daily limit in one meal!

Thanks for the tips!