the endless battle with my upper arms

Options
i think a lot of us struggle with this but has anyone found some good cures for upper arm flappiness?

I've always struggled with it but this recent drop of 40+ lbs definitely isn't helping in that department :-P

I've done the recommended exercises but its still not happening.

I think I'm finally ready to commit myself to a real regime to get these guys somewhat in shape for summer

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and do heavy lifting. This will allow you to continue to lose fat, possibly gain some muscle while you're in the "newbie" phase, and preserve the muscle you have already. There's no specific exercise to "make" the fat come off your arms, the body decides where you lose and when.
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    no, im looking for firming, not getting rid of fat
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    But if your arms are jiggly, then it's either lose skin, which may never go away, or fat. You can build muscle by eating at a surplus and lifting heavy. But, even if you build the muscle in your arms, if there's fat or lose skin over it, there may still be jiggle.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I heard a Dr once say that after losing weight, give yourself about a year for your skin to settle back into shape before deciding to do anything drastic. The weight training and time sounds like a great idea to me. :smile:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Jen said it. If it jiggles it's either loose skin, or there's a layer of fat over the muscle that jiggles when you move. The only way to "firm" that is to lift weights (builds the muscle underneath the layer of fat), and eat at a deficit to lose the fat over the muscle.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Work the triceps. They're the biggest muscle in the upper arm, and if you build them up (you won't look bulky or manly) it'll fill out any flappiness caused by loose skin. Pushups, dips, kickbacks (to an extent) or bench presses (particularly close grip).

Also, listen to Jen. She speaks truth.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. It has helped my arms immensely and the only other thing I do is run. If you still have jiggle underneath it's either fat or sagging skin. If you don't want to lose any more body fat and you don't want to lift, you'll just have to wait for the skin to shrink. It might - depending on many things - age being one. I've also heard the one to two years to see any difference.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Pay heed to Jen, I don't know her but she speaks the truth. :flowerforyou:
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had big flappy upper arms when I was aged 17, a UK size 10 and had a 24" waist. Obviously these days the fat girth of my bingo wings would give a body builder a run for their money...I am not expecting to ever have slim toned upper arms, as I never had them before I was fat anyway. :(
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Imho, you should add dumbbell pullovers, in the hypertrophy rep range/weight. If your triceps need extra work past that (compound) lift, it's very easy to stick in a skull crusher-type tricep move while you do the pullovers. You might have to do the pullovers first to see how the tricep move is easily fit in :)

And you don't need a bench for these. I use a big, sturdy pillow. You just need your chest lifted to a certain point (check out form videos).

There are a ton of tricep isolation lifts, so you can add any of them if you like. I just think the pullovers are crucial for what all they work, and the position makes it simple to add in the skull crushers. Good luck!