Does Wine/Alcohol delay weight loss

Options

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Thanks kerriBB37 for that information! It doesn't mean I'm going to give up my few drinks that I enjoy, but that information is great to keep in mind.

You're welcome! I agree!! I drink too even though I know all this stuff! I didn't get to 200+ lbs by doing the right thing all the time. It is important to know though ;) It has helped me make better choices when out a the bar and now I don't drink when I'm stressed, I go to the gym. Knowledge is power sometimes!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am an evidence based practicing therapist, so I always look for legit research to back things up and this is what I found:
    Do I drink? YES, lol.

The nutrients protein, carbohydrates, and fat can be stored in our bodies, but alcohol cannot. For this reason, it takes priority over everything else in order to be metabolized; doing so means that all of the other processes that should be taking place are being interrupted. Other nutrients need to be broken up prior to being absorbed, whereas alcohol is absorbed as is.
    Drinking alcohol will give a negative effect on the metabolism of the body particularly to the aspect of fats metabolism.
    The amount of energy that fats can give to your body through the process of metabolism is limited by the effects of alcohol that you take in your body.

The ability of your body to bring on lipid oxidation or the burning of fats will be greatly hindered by even just a small amount of alcohol. This was the findings of researchers and as published in the American Journal of Clinical Research.
    Further research on this matter revealed that when alcohol passes through the liver, acetate is formed. And the body, instead of burning fats for energy will burn the acetate instead of fats.
    The other bad effect of alcohol in the body is that it prevents the proper processing of vitamins and minerals which are needed in the natural function of metabolism. This is because of the process by which the liver converts alcohol to acetate. During this stage, minerals and vitamins that are supposed to be processed by the liver will be over shadowed by the system of detoxification and would be wasted through this process.

*Alcohol provides many calories in a small volume and can end up being a source of unwanted extra calories and weight gain. One study showed a 20% increase in calories consumed at a meal when alcohol was consumed before the meal. There was a total caloric increase of 33% when the calories from the alcohol were added.

*Alcohol is considered a poison by your body, and all efforts are made to excrete it, including the cessation of maintaining healthy blood glucose levels. Studies have shown that alcohol interferes with all three sources of glucose and the hormones needed to maintain healthy blood glucose levels

This is an oldie but goodie. My problem is drinking. I gave up the daily drinking and lost weight. As soon as I started again, 10 lbs appeared fast. I actually threw out the wine I had and returned the unopened bottles to the store. When I was not drinking, I used to look forward to an event or dinner out where I could have a glass of wine. I want to get off these 10 lbs!!
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow: Give up wine. I would drink a glass wait 24 hours and step on the scale. That is my answer to just about anything. Your body will tell you if it makes you gain or helps you lose. I know a lot of people that have wine with dinner and stay in a weight loss plan. I would drink but lightly!
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can attest alcohol takes the wind out of my metabolism sails. I hate that it's true because I LOVE wine/drinking. I weigh myself every morning in a very calculated/controlled way. The 3 times I drank alcohol over the past 50 days I noticed a delay in my weight loss the days that followed: 2 to 3 days. Once I remove the alcohol my weight loss becomes more predictable. Again this truth is really bad news for me because I really enjoy wine too. Instead of completely eliminating it from my diet I decided that I would drink wine when opportunity arises, but I don't try to make plans around it or create plans that include wine. I wait for others to invite me. Then the hard part is to limit it to 2 drinks which I'm still working on :)
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The reason alcohol is bad is because of the process your body takes to break it down. Before your body breaks down fat it breaks down carbs. Before carbs it breaks down alcohol.

^^^THIS.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My experience is that it significantly does :(

One thing is that it's empty calories and personally makes me crazy hungry. But even when I calculate in the calories and stay within my limit, I find that weight loss is more difficult.

I haven't had a glass of wine for all of January, which sucks, but I've decided to lose weight effectively now.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that so many people seem to have personal experience with it hindering weight loss. It has not done so for me, and I am a regular and sometimes heavy drinker. It is critical to log the calories from drinking -- is everyone who is experiencing disrupted losing efforts accurately logging the calories in their drinks, and any munchies they may consume while tipsy?

For many people it's easy to lose weight by quitting drinking or substantially reducing it - because of the reduced calories.I have modified my drinking habits, but to reduce calories associated with alcohol, not to per se reduce the actual alcohol I take in (i.e., drink straight liquor way more often; craft beers way less often).

I don't understand the significance of the priority metabolization of alcohol when eating in a deficit. Yes, I understand as a toxin it is broken down first and takes priority over other sources of energy (calories from non-alcohol sources available / fat stores). But if a specific individual would burn as TDEE on any given day 2500 calories, getting 500 of those calories from alcohol should not alter the basic concept of calorie in / calorie out. It may alter the timing of the energy sources over the course of the day (or longer) but not the in / out relationship.

Think of it this way -- if you are eating / drinking at a deficit, then it doesn't matter so much (possible esoteric composition issues aside? other unknown effects?) that your body is spending part of its time busily metabolizing the alcohol -- it is still going to finish the day or week having to have found the same extra calories needed to function from your body's stores.

Anyone have anything specific about effects on storage / utilization?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone with any insight or something to share re: my question(s) above? ^^ Genuinely curious :flowerforyou:
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has soooo many surprise calories it's ridiculous. I LOVE wine and drinking but any time I've attempted to count the calories after a night out, it makes me sick and I regret it.

It's no wonder that I gained 20lbs in my first semester of college!

Definitely not an expert but as I feel about anything, moderation is key. Have a 4oz glass of wine instead of 6oz, etc. Or even sip wine from a 1oz shot glass, or mix it with Diet Spite/ginger ale so it seems like more (I know that diet soda is a no-no, but....moderation). For me, I try not to restrict myself entirely or I will binge...but it depends on what works for you!

Edit:: That obviously only applies to white wine...haha.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The reason alcohol is bad is because of the process your body takes to break it down. Before your body breaks down fat it breaks down carbs. Before carbs it breaks down alcohol.

^^^THIS.

This is nonsense actually

What is it with all the zombie threads in the last couple of days...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I live in wine Country and enjoy my fair share of craft beers and never had problems when I've ever tried to either lose or gain weight.......I think I'll continue to enjoy them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

^^^THIS.

This is nonsense actually

What is it with all the zombie threads in the last couple of days...
    What is nonsense.........the body does metabolize alcohol to energy first. If it to refute the "alcohol is bad", I agree with you.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I keep within my calories and it doesn't appear to have made much difference, it may be because I only aim to lose 1/2lb a week. I still drink wine or beer at least once a week, but rather less than I used to.

I do sometimes succumb to the take away on the way home or rubbish in the cupboard (especially left over cold sausages (veggie or meat) and mustard, the best tipsy food there is), which I think is the undoing more than the alcohol itself.

Mind you, I drank a bottle of wine and had a ginormous plate of spaghetti carbonara last week and still lost weight.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    1-2 glasses of wine a week will not harm your weight loss. Make sure you only have what a recommended serving is ( ex: 6 oz or 4 oz ) and record!

But if you're having a few glasses several nights a week, then yes, it will harm your weight loss.

Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What is nonsense.........the body does metabolize alcohol to energy first. If it to refute the "alcohol is bad", I agree with you.

The carbs/ cals consumed as alcohol are simple sugars, therefore quickly metabolised. Its accurate inasmuch as easily utilised carbs are used more readily than less easily utilised carbs. Its not the alcohol per se, but the low benefit from that.

One would get the same nutritional effect through consuming an energy gel.
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Carbs = 4kcal/gm
    Protein=5kcal/gm
    FAT=9kcal/gm
    Alcohol = 11kcal/gm
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    When I met my ex, he was 27, 5'7" and weighed 125 soaking wet. His diet consisted of alcohol, pot and sugar/junk food.

After we married, and I started cooking real food for him and he spent a little less time at the bar, he gained about 20 lbs in the first year.

Does this mean that heavy drinking is good for weight loss?? NO

This means that my ex is an alcoholic. He would rather have alcohol than food. He also has one of those metabolisms that actually thrives on sugar. The more sugar he eats, the skinnier he is. He does not eat when he is drinking, because food would take up space for more alcohol.
    Almost 30 yrs later he is still skinny, but that does not mean he is healthy.
    He is a somewhat functioning alcohol, in that he has kept a job, but the rest of his life is a mess. He destroys everyone in his life, but as long as he has his vices, he is content.

Alcohol may not affect everyone's weight loss, but it DOES affect everyone's health. The scientific studies that were posted earlier in the thread, breaks it down really well.
    By the way, Acetate is the stuff they put in nail polish remover to remove paint and even works on acrylic nails. So when you drink alcohol, you are basically drinking paint remover.
    And do not overlook the part about alcohol preventing your body from absorbing the vitamins and minerals from food. All the 'healthy' food you eat is in vain if you aren't benefiting from the nutrients in it.

I don't want to sound like a hater on people who drink responsibly. I will enjoy a drink of something usually once a year or two, for one reason or another. But I know the damage that heavy drinking can cause in many areas of your life and those around you.
    For this site, weight loss is the priority. So don't read about someone else who can drink a lot and lose weight just fine, and think that sounds like a great idea. They are just substituting paint remover for food. Not really a diet plan I would endorse.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No. I drink all the time.. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I drank 2 beers, and about 5 vodka soda waters a couple weekends ago and lost 7 lbs that week. Of course I threw up and could hardly eat anything the day after...but weight loss and drinking is still possible lol.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If it's causing you to go over your calorie goal repeatedly and excessively, then yes, it can hinder your weight loss. But so will anything in excess. It's difficult to track any alcoholic drinks that you're not pouring or making yourself so it increases the chance of error in your tracking.

I personally have a few beers a week during social events and it has yet to stall my progress. Simple rules, if it's going in your mouth, it needs to be accounted for calorically.

Just a sidenote, alcohol is it's own macro but is usually accompanied by carbs. I try to make sure that at a minimum I've met my protein and fat goals for the day and if I want a drink or two and it fits in my diary, so be it.