Could use a good HRM rec.

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
Hey there, my RS300X is giving up the ghost, and I'd like to find a new HRM.

It needs to:
- Accurately measure my heart rate
- Accurately measure time
- Survive extended swim sessions
- Have a chest strap that is either Bluetooth Smart, or ANT+ to send data to my laptop (trainerroad.com)
- Track workout data
- Have a lap feature

Would be nice:
- Will count swim laps

Nice features, but I won't pay extra for them:
- Altimeter and GPS

I don't think I want to go over $200, it's a good tool, but I know my needs are pretty low key

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The chest strap will never send any data to the laptop, as all it reads and sends is the actual HR.
    While I'm sure you could have an app on a laptop like on your smartphone that read that HR and does something with it - I doubt anyone would make one since the laptop isn't going on a workout.

Or do you mean the HRM itself sends the data?

Also, WiFi or BT or ANT uses frequency that can't be sent underwater.

Polar is your only option that I'm aware of. And they do have the V800 for swimming coming, or the RCX5 that doesn't have the lap stuff.

Garmin has a great watch for swimming with all that lap stuff - but of course no HRM since signal can't go through water for ANT.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/06/garmin-swim-watch-in-depth-review.html
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The laptop stuff you wont get but for a Swimming HRM that counts laps look at simovate http://www.swimovate.com/ or finis swimsense
  • dbmata
    Options
    heybales - both BT Smart and ANT+ send data to receivers that are BT Smart or ANT+, and you can get said receiver for a laptop generally, assuming the developer offered the API access in the case of ANT+ (generally proprietary receivers) or BT, which is hit and miss.

So yes, the chest strap will send data, said data being HR data, to a receiver. Said receiver can be in a wrist unit, treadmill, or in my case, I'd like to get a rec for one that also has an available receiver for the laptop. It's for this thing I want to try called trainerroad.com

and yeah, you're right about underwater, which is why I'll have to find one that also sends at 5khz. For example, I have the H7 sending unit for polar, which fulfills the two above requirements, but I'm on my third one in one week. Each one is dead out of the box. So, that's right out. :(

I'll take a look at the swim watch rec. I might need to go that route, as I just can't count laps when I'm swimming.
  • dbmata
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ah, I've got a little simple finger counter, tap your thumb to the one button when you hit the wall, perhaps glancing right after hitting button to see what lap you just did.

Still requires habit to hit button, but I've gotten better. And until I used it, I would never have guessed I felt I could swim better not thinking about the lap number, but it is freeing.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4028&Click=310393&subscribe=Y&gclid=CPS58POFhrwCFeg-MgodkFAAdQ

I have cheaper model without the pause feature, but then again I use the HRM for the actual workout time, and only curious about average lap time. So if I pause, that unit keeps going.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i would wait a month or two. a lot of amazing ones were announced at CES this year that have amazing features!