I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted

Options
Hi everyone,

I grew up being able to eat whatever I wanted and I never gained any weight. Then, over the years, my weight
creeped up as I had kids. I then joined Weight Watchers and lost 25 lbs but then gained it back.
In my mind, I still think I can eat whatever I want, but I can't because I am 47 years old and it has
caught up with me. Now, I also find that I am more focused on food. I need to lose weight because
I have high blood pressure but lack self control. Plus I am kind of a shy person so this is all hard for
me to communicate. Ok, I guess that was not so bad. :noway: :noway:

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have had to watch my weight since I was 16, that is wonderful you have had it good up until now. The logging really helps here on MFP. I like it better than weight watchers, With WW they were always on low fat stuff, here I eat what I want, just log calories. It would be good to eat as much as we want, guess that is not the cards dealt anymore.
  • PrintedWoman
    Options
    Thank you, that is great to know that you like MFP better than WW. I will give it a try. Starting out is always difficult.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Agreed, you are lucky! My metabolism started slowing down by the time I was 18 or 19, despite my older sister being able to eat anything she want and stay a size 2. I grew very quickly just before/early in high school so I stretched out and stayed thin throughout high school because I was tall, but being in university I've realised I can't eat and drink as much as I want :(. So I'm also trying to have a different relationship with food - eating it for energy and because my body needs it, not because I'm bored or need comfort after a bad exam. Good luck!
  • PrintedWoman
    Options
    That is a good way to put it, to have a different relationship with food. I am going to think about that....thank you for the insight.
  • anname9203
    anname9203 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Your story sounds similar to mine. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted as well which of course led to my pattern of unhealthy eating. Fast forward to having kids and that kind of eating caught up with me quick! I've been on Weight Watchers as well and did lose weight but gained it back. Then I re-joined Weight Watchers spring of 2013 when my employer offered us a discount on health insurance if we took steps to lose weight. I lost about 35 pounds on WW and then decided to cancel and come back to MFP. I've had an account here since 2011 but hadn't used it in a long time! I lost even more after coming back here and want to drop 20 pounds more. I am determined to keep the weight off this time for good! I am not getting any younger and need to take better care of my health.

Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you want to. I am on here and log everyday.

Good luck to you!