Discouraged from working out in public.

Options
I was just wondering, do any of you ever get discouraged from working out because of your body? I know, it seems like a circular argument, but sometimes putting on a tight work out bra and pants that show my love handles makes me feel like crap.

Replies

• strangewebby
    Options
    I tend to push myself harder when I work out in public. I probably come off looking like a bi*** at the gym because I don't look/talk to anyone. I just zone out with my head phones on and get what I need to do done. I know I'm one of the bigger people there but oh well.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I had a gym membership I hated going when they were busy. I was always really discouraged from doing anything with free weights because there were always a bunch of super muscle guys using them and mirrors EVERYWHERE.
    I would always wear baggy sweats and a baggy shirt.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Perhaps buy some looser workout clothes? Only way you're going to get rid of those love handles is by moving more and eating less. Plus youll start feeling so much better about yourself once you get moving
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I dislike the gym intensely anyway, so being bored does make me feel more self conscious. It's probably not helped by all the posturing during rest intervals that people are doing :)

It's something I don't feel when I run or cycle. It seems that regardless of your ability you're part of a wider club. Cyuclists always acknowledge one another on the road or trail, similarly most runners are the same, everything from full on jazz hands to eye contact and miniscule nod.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I tend to push myself harder when I work out in public. I probably come off looking like a bi*** at the gym because I don't look/talk to anyone. I just zone out with my head phones on and get what I need to do done. I know I'm one of the bigger people there but oh well.
    And this is the way to do it. Only places I socialize at are at the hot tub or the sauna. Anywhere else, I will ignore everyone around me and do my thing.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I applaud anyone trying hard. No matter what they look like.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Many of the people you are worried about were probably in the same shape as you, or worse. They just started a few months ahead of you. If they are really bulked up, and stop, they will be like those guys at your class reunions that peaked in high school and are now bald and fat. They were doing it for the wrong reasons, then stopped when it didn't suit them.

There is a guy that I have worked with for years. About 10 years ago, he was in amazing shape. Competitive body builder. He has since had back and neck problems, become a grandfather (not that grandfathers cannot be in great shape) and has not been able to workout like he did. He is now smaller than I am, had to go on a diet a while back to lose 20 lbs so he could lose the small belly he had going on. He is a really good guy, and always was.

You are only seeing these people in the present. You don't know what state they came from, and where they will end up. Just go do your thing, and get to where you want to be.
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I run mornings when the sun is coming up. Hardly anybody out there. I just like that time of day, because I just won't some solitary time. I Don't wear anything too form fitting either, but that's not my thing anyhow. Do what works for you and don't worry about others.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I applaud anyone trying hard. No matter what they look like.

This!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The kind of gym you go to (if you go to a gym) also makes a difference. I was lucky enough to find one near home, not too big, and with a lot of "regular" people as clients.
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I used to be incredibly self conscious about working out in public, especially at the gym. However, the more often I go, the easier it gets -- and I've gotten quite a few nods of encouragement from others that have spurred me on and made me work that much harder!

The only way to get over the fear is to just go and do it. If you get into what you're doing it's easy to zone out and ignore everyone around you and just focus on your own workout.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I feel the same with pushing myself harder and there are moments where I'm self-conscious but it goes away and I just concentrate and know that everyone there knows you're there to be better. ALSO, the socializing thing, occasionally there's slight interaction, had a hot guy help me out with my form for a certain exercise but most people aren't there to talk to strangers. I have a friend come with me to the gym pretty often and we have fun and talk sometimes and motivate each other. Yes when I'm alone it takes less time but I think having a gym buddy is great and adds fun though I keep saying laughing and lifting don't go together at which my friend rebutted that I was getting abs done at the same time. Ha
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym, I was a size 10. So I wasn't big, but somewhat self-conscious, b/c I didn't know what I was really doing...and it SEEMED like everyone else already knew what they were doing.

I've been going to the gym for 2 years now (down to a size 4). I've moved from just sticking with the cardio machines to using weights. If you saw me, you would probably assume that I hadn't started out self-conscious, b/c it SEEMS like I know what I am doing now. I still consider myself a beginner though, b/c I know I have more to learn.

There are so many people of all different shapes and sizes at my gym. No one is judging; and if they are, that's their problem.
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a very common feeling and extremely irrational. It is something I really have to work on.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Over time my ideas have changed. I used to have respect for those people in the gym that looked like they lived there.. big muscles, slender waists, etc. I was wrong. My respect is now with those people who actually have things to work on, who are making a real effort to improve and bust their tails off to better themselves. There may be people in the gym that look at "imperfect" people with derision - use that as your motivation to push harder and become who and how you want to be :) You have my respect for sticking it out..
  • CaptRon21
    Options
    I was in good shape back in 09, then I stopped and gained a beer belly. I started going back to the gym in December and was embarrassed to say the least. After a week, I noticed there are two types of people there. Those that have been going for a long time and those just starting out like me. The point here, everyone's gotta start some time and in a matter of a month you will know how to use everything and be in a comfort zone. And don't be ashamed to ask those people that work there, that's their job to show you how everything works.

One thing that worked for me was to face the wall during my warm up and medicine ball routine. It's all about you!
  • Renaynay833
    Renaynay833 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with "gym fear" myself. I used to be in amazing shape and was even a cycle instructor at the gym...fast forward 100lbs later and, I am so nervous about stepping back in there. Mostly for fear of what my old coworkers would say or think. But, everyone's posts on here reminded me of something I used to tell people when I worked at the gym and people were to nervous to take a spin class...most people at the gym are so focused on themselves that they don't even notice the people around them. That's why there are so many mirrors so you can look at yourself.