Question for the those who have lost over 60lbs

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP on March 25, 2013 at 262 lb and I just hit 60 lb lost about 10 days ago. So almost 10 months for me to lose 60 lb.

I consider that a win though. Prior to joining MFP I lost 45 lb and it took me FOUR AND 1/2 YEARS (eating somewhat healthier and walking many miles per week but not counting calories) to get from 307 to 262.

I never had a goal date in mind. Actually last March I hoped to get to 220 by the end of 2013 and I hit 220 around the start of October. Slower weight loss is fine with me though. I am set to sedentary, eat back over half of my exercise calories, and set to lose 1.5 lb/week which I've been pretty close to that the entire time.

Right now minus exercise I eat 1,320 calories. When I was at 261 lb, I think I was still eating around 1,600. Obviously how many calories you eat is your decision but I personally think 900 is dangerous at your weight (or my own, or probably even "average weight" women) and if you don't eat any exercise calories. You don't want to deplete your body of important nutrients. I know that firsthand. A time or two I tried eating 1,200 strictly and wound up with the scale moving SLOWER and having some weird side effects like minor hair loss (just a lot more in the shower, nothing drastic) and little black spots on my cuticles...I'd rather just lose more slowly and eat more and not deal with that sort of thing!!

This year I want to get to 180 but I feel confident I'll surpass that goal. Currently at 199.
  • angiebmore
    angiebmore Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Whats calorie defecit?
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Whats calorie defecit?

Calorie Deficit: this is the situation when people spend more calories than they consume (eat). In other words, calories in is less than calories out. You would want to have a calorie deficit to achieve fat loss. (cal in < cal out = fat loss).

When MFP gives you a caloric goal # (Ex: 1600 cal/day limit), if you reach a number below that for the day (either by eating less or burning more), you have achieved a calorie deficit.

Convential wisdom says that 1 lb = 3500 cals, so if you consume 500 cals less per day (3500/7=500), then you would lose 1 lb per week. Reality doesn't quite work like that, but you get the picture. Hope that helps!
  • anastasiasmirror
    Options
    mm. i don't think it's healthy.. i have lost 70 lbs in a year before..... but then again i gained that all back since then so what do i know?
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 45 pounds in 3.5 months .... I have now lost 150+ pounds but the remainder took a lot longer to lose :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year. I lose about a pound a week on average. I could probably have done it faster if I were more obsessive about it, but I'm not in a hurry.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It took me years. I started way before I found MFP.

It took so long because I'd do unsustainable diets with ridiculously low calories, then binge eat for weeks and put weight back on.
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    900-1300 calories is what I normally eat, I've just changed what I'm eating. I'm not starving. If I want something I eat it in moderation. If I feel weak I rest. If I'm hungry I eat.

Today makes 50 days that I've actually been counting calories and I'm already down 22lbs. I think that's awesome. I've gained muscle with strength training also. And I've lost a lot of inches and I feel a lot healthier.

Yes I know I'm seriously overweight. I work from home. I broke my foot in July 2012 and it took until Nov 2013 to have the surgery because I was got pregnant in Jan; the same month the original surgery was planned. So needless to say I wasn't working out. And before this I had 3 children and went through a horrible divorce. Within 2 yrs I gained a massive amount of weight. I know I didn't gain it overnight and it won't fall off overnight.

I have over 100lbs to lose, I'm not trying to lose all that by June. Give me some credit lol
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lb since the start of August - mostly low carb and gym about 5 days a week with archery 3 or 4 times a week.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    2 years.
  • NatalieSkywalker
    NatalieSkywalker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It took my about a year to lose 70ish lbs, but I wasn't completely focused so I think you can definitely do it by your goal but I think you should eat more.
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    900-1300 calories is what I normally eat, I've just changed what I'm eating. I'm not starving. If I want something I eat it in moderation. If I feel weak I rest. If I'm hungry I eat.

I have over 100lbs to lose, I'm not trying to lose all that by June. Give me some credit lol

If you have over 100lbs to lose, 900-1300 calories a day is not enough.

Are you saying you've always ate 900-1300 calories? Cause that's not possible if you're 100lbs overweight..

It's not a race...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It took me a year and a month to lose 68 pounds. Good luck.
  • CassiLyn6626
    Options

Are you saying you've always ate 900-1300 calories? Cause that's not possible if you're 100lbs overweight..

It's not a race...

Yes it's possible.

I realize it's not a race. I realize it isn't easy. And I know what I have always eaten. It's so funny that many people on this site think you gain weight only by eating a ton of junk. I have had health problems and have been on numerous medications that have caused a weight gain and thanks to life situations I gained more. Why must I be considered an over eater if I'm over weight?
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason that it has to be in six months? If you want long term weight loss and health then it takes time. If you are too restrictive it's almost like setting yourself up for failure because there will be days that you don't get to the gym, there will be days that you don't follow your nutrition plan 100%, and there will be weeks that you do everything right and the scale doesn't budge.

I say, find a plan that works for you, that's the most important thing. You will be totally retraining yourself in how to eat, cook, handle stress, move your body. No matter what the scale says, if you make consistent, healthy choices, in six months you will be healthier and happier than you are today. And, that is a win.
  • CassiLyn6626
    Options
    I'm going on a London tour in June, the same week as my 32nd birthday. It's not an I HAVE TO thing, it's a goal I am working toward.

One more thing...

I weigh myself every morning.

Bring on the negative comments lol

I have weighed myself every morning for 45 days. I don't get discouraged, I don't binge eat. Just another bit of inside info, I was married for 8 years to an abusive drunk. I've been through more stressful and dangerous situations than cutting calories. Not saying i'm invincible or what I'm doing is healthy by everyone's standards. But if it works for me and it's not running me into the ground. Chances are that I will continue to do what works and adjust when necessary.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a London tour in June, the same week as my 32nd birthday. It's not an I HAVE TO thing, it's a goal I am working toward.

One more thing...

I weigh myself every morning.

Bring on the negative comments lol

I have weighed myself every morning for 45 days. I don't get discouraged, I don't binge eat. Just another bit of inside info, I was married for 8 years to an abusive drunk. I've been through more stressful and dangerous situations than cutting calories. Not saying i'm invincible or what I'm doing is healthy by everyone's standards. But if it works for me and it's not running me into the ground. Chances are that I will continue to do what works and adjust when necessary.

I weighed myself every day during weight loss and I continue to do so, now in maintenance :)

Also, I responded to your message and have just sent you the info you asked for!
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options

It's not a race...

Yes it's possible.

I realize it's not a race. I realize it isn't easy. And I know what I have always eaten. It's so funny that many people on this site think you gain weight only by eating a ton of junk. I have had health problems and have been on numerous medications that have caused a weight gain and thanks to life situations I gained more. Why must I be considered an over eater if I'm over weight?

I think you're missing my point.

900 calories a day is not healthy.
  • SNLover87
    SNLover87 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As of today I'm 61 lbs down, it took me a little over 10 months. I would say that you might want to give yourself more time, obviously we'd all love to be able to lose weight that fast, and sometimes people do. But it's more realistic that it will take you longer than 5-6 months.

Also I weigh myself everyday too, everybody has their own process.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs in 8 months, then the last 12 in 4 months. I'd say it totally depends on how many you have to lose. I never starved myself either, no crazy workouts and always ate over 1600 calories.