Gaining After Reaching Goal

Options
OK. I went on a 25 day cruise over the holidays. I gained 7 pounds back after losing 105. I have been home two weeks now and haven't lost an ounce yet!

I started right back at the gym. I started right back with my calories of 1500 a day. I panicked after the first week and lowered them to 1300.

Now, I am thinking that I ate a lot of food on that cruise. Healthy mostly but still a lot of it. Is it possible that my body has gone into starvation mode due to a month of lots of food and then sudden restriction?

Replies

• MrsAustin1480
    MrsAustin1480 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No! I just read an article about starvation mode being BS and it was very informative. Just search "starvation mode" and "horse****" on Google and you'll probably find it. My advice? Make absolutely sure your calorie counts are correct (not overestimating burn or underestimating intake) and, most importantly, DON'T give up! Good luck and I hope you are not stumped much longer. :-)

Thumbs up on the 107 by the way!!!

(Edit: I'm not being facetious about the horse**** bit. The article sincerely says "horse****")
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight you've lost so far!

It's possible that you ate a lot of high sodium food and have retained a bunch of water weight in addition to gaining a few pounds. I took a quick glance at your diary and saw some ham, which has a lot of sodium. Have you been eating other food with a lot sodium since you came home? If so, drink a lot of water.

I agree, the starvation mode thing is BS.
  • Kakalina2
    Kakalina2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, then. Thank you for the replies. I'll just continue on with my calorie limits and increase my exercise and see what happens.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just because starvation mode thing is wrong doesn't mean you should do it. JS.

ETA: Slow and steady is the way it should go, not fast weight loss which leads to gaining weight or having harder time maintaining your weight.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    During lots of water about 8-10 cups You can also eat watermelon cantaloupe any water base fruit. That will help flush out the sodium. Congrats to you
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    During lots of water about 8-10 cups You can also eat watermelon cantaloupe any water base fruit. That will help flush out the sodium. Congrats to you It's just probably water weight
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Go back to 1500 calories and give it a few weeks.
  • Kakalina2
    Kakalina2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to panic. I have now gained a total of 10 pounds. I just want to die!!!! I am staying at 1300 calories. I am working out hard three times a week at the gym and walking or swimming the other three days and rest on Sunday.

Every time I step on the scale now the weight level is going in the wrong direction. I will get very strict with myself now and cut out all small treats I was allowing myself. Maybe up my exercise. I don't know what else to do!!!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Yawn @Starvation mode #myth